• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric
    • Sep 2024

The Future of Radio 3 is in our hands!

Dear All,

Roger Write says, in the Guardian, that he has received more positive comments on the new R3 style than negative ones.

Classical music station loses 5.6% of listeners in the last quarter as critics blame changes to the schedule. By John Plunkett

WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?

Answer? OURS!

If we want to improve things we must overcome our natural reserve and complain.

If complaining worries you - it does me - I hate having to do it - then make the complaint polite and include positive suggestions. That way you won't feel so bad about it. Also, think about what R3 has meant to you in your life - future generations are about to loose that unless we can do something to save it! Listening to R3 these days makes me so sad when I think what has been lost already.

I am doing the following:

I have set up a set of emails to breakfast (3breakfast@bbc.co.uk), essential classics (essentialclassics@bbc.co.uk) and in tune (in.tune@bbc.co.uk).

I keep them in my sent folder and then I resend them every time I use my computer.

It took a few minutes to set them up, but now it only takes a few seconds to resend them as I just click on the resend button. The exact mechanics for doing this vary between mail clients but it should not be too difficult to find out how to do it.

(Interestingly enough, they have not replied to any of my messages yet even though they are very polite and reasonable!)

If we all do this then R3 will be getting 3000 complaints a day.

If we keep it up for a year they will get 300,000 complaints.

We can achieve all this on just a few seconds a day using the power of the internet.

If you really are feeling strong then you could do the same with twitter, facebook and text messages but that is a bridge too far for me at the moment.

Maybe you have a bit more time than me in which case you could change the subjects each time you send the emails or even write a new message occasionally to include something topical. If we send enough messages they will find hard to keep a track on whom they have heard from before.

I suggest that you do not make the subjects sound like a complaint because if you do they will be able to delete the message without reading it.

RW dismisses any criticism as elitist and atavistic.

I don’t happen to think this is true, it certainly isn’t true of me, but for the avoidance of doubt I would suggest that we say the following in our messages.

1) Attracting new listeners is necessary
    2) Change is necessary
    3) Elitism is bad
    4) We are not seeking to go back to an imaginary golden past

Then I think we can go on to make all the points so well made by the many contributors to this board.

My view is that the changes are actually having the opposite effect and that lowering the quality is the stupid way to attract more listeners.

I am sure that you all have of lots of ideas for intelligent ways of attracting new listeners. For example I do not think they are using the internet and social networking as well as they could.

Power to the people etc...

Eric
  • Don Petter

All sounding very commendable, but I'm not sure of the wisdom of sending repeated identical emails. Everyone knows that it is easy to do, and it will give the 'opposition' an easy route of dismissal because of this, in the same way that a petition with lots of entries by the likes of Mickey Mouse and Pluto can be ignored.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Eric, why have you chosen now to draw attention to an article that appeared four months ago? And where in this article does "RW dismiss any criticism as elitist and atavistic"?
      And, as DP gently suggests, wouldn't repeated eMails merely suggest to R3 that they're merely dealing with a "nutter"?

I suggest that if we were all to follow your example it would have an effect more harmful than helpful.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Eric

Good luck with your initiative. It would be interesting to hear how you get on. If it is a success, I will follow your example.

Lat.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Eric

Good luck with your initiative. It would be interesting to hear how you get on. If it is a success, I will follow your example.

Lat.
          I think Eric is saying that, in order for it to be a success, we have to do it en masse, tout ensemble au meme temps etc. Not wait and see. Capiche?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Or just join Friends of Radio 3.

I have to admit that the strategy is to try to cooperate with Radio 3 rather than antagonise, give credit where it's due, promote what is good (through the website and this forum) and keep explaining to them why they're wrong . Some people think we're making no headway but it's a bit like chess: suddenly you break through the defence >>.........................>>
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
            X