• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Lewis Chessmen - Why Queen So Sad ?

My copies of 5 of the Lewis Chessmen were purchased many years ago from the British Museum shop & have long been a source of great pleasure to my wife & myself. However, I have never been able to understand why the queen should be wearing an expression of such sorrow & sadness, that was until I had an accident & dropped them on the floor. After staring at them for a while I saw
    a possible answer to the question. This was more easy to picture than explain, so as an ex-film lighting cameraman I set them up in order to illustrate the situation. I had two 60w reading lamps for lighting - not much ! The real problem was providing mood & atmosphere to the scene. This was improved by getting two dining room chairs, placing them about three feet apart behind the items, 'steal' a roll of greaseproof paper from the kitchen & sellotape a section of this between the chairs, so providing myself with a back projection screen, upon which, after reclaiming an old slide projector & locating a 35mm. slide with a ghastly lurid scene of a sunset, I was able to provide a real Wagnerian touch to the scene.

A print was made. I kept it as a record of the scene but that was all - until last year. Two big exhibitions of the Lewis Chessmen, the BM in London & another in Edinburgh. Once againn more 'chatter' about the queen. This time I decided to make my contribution. Off went a copy of my version to the British Museum - back came an answer from the ' Curator of Medieval Collections.'
    Apparently they were delighted with the picture - but, there can be NO definitive answer to questions of this nature. Rather like solving the reason regarding the smile on the face of the Sphinx, we don't know & would perhaps rather not know.

However, my real pleasure came from his final point, would I give permission for the museum to make use of the picture - of course!!

I'm in a bit of a mess in setting up the actual photo on this web page so have provided another one to click on.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Good afternoon gamba,

I am totally ignorant about the Lewis Chessmen but have been readingAsk Jeevesand wonder if one of the photos shown is yours?

Good luck with showing your photograph.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

gamba

I'm PM-ing you on this!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

frank, I'm having a problem making my picture appear. I tried yesterday with imgur & it seemed alright then !!!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamba View Post
          frank, I'm having a problem making my picture appear. I tried yesterday with imgur & it seemed alright then !!!
          I've suggested that you should email them to me as attachments. Have you seen the Private Message to you? Top of page, click on Notifications.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Gamba - it is absolutely stunning - thank you so much for letting us see it.

I don't think any further explanation is needed of the queen's sorrowfulness:

Last edited by french frank; 09-02-12, 19:47.

Comment

• Osborn

gamba - that's really wonderful!

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Congratulations gamba.It's beautiful.

Comment

• decantor
                  • Dec 2010

A hint of Northern Lights and the bleakness of Callanish. An amazing insight, gamba - thank you.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Various bits about the chessmen on the British Museum site. And posting the picture again - I've already had an email about it!

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Gamba - it is absolutely stunning - thank you so much for letting us see it.

I don't think any further explanation is needed of the queen's sorrowfulness:

Comment

• amateur51

Bravo gamba! A stunning creation

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

A splendid photograph - brilliant grouping of the figures.

It just shows how revealing an accident can be (and also how a stunning photograph can be made with very low-level technology)

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Very interesting that they're dated to 1150-1200 by the shape of the bishops' mitres.

Comment

• gamba
                            Late member
                            • Dec 2010

Thank you all for your kind remarks & especially to french frank in having to deal with a computer cretin in order to make it work at all !

Lighting the scene was easy, as you can see, I felt the hand of Richard Wagner guiding my every move !!

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

You have created a great story. Many congratulations.

[ed.] Wagner would have gone straight to his piano/desk (how did he compose?)

Comment

Working...
                              X