What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Beefy, I have mentioned this very fine double album before, but will do so again. A wide range of styles from British composers:

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Bryn, I don't recall seeing your post(s) concerning this double CD. It looks very interesting indeed. I only know one work on that set (YB). I'll see if I can stream it and then may well acquire hard copy/download.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Its available on Naxos Music Library - Catalogue No.: MSV28579. (I know its in the image above but sometimes the layout for their index is different). You should get on down to the Barbican Library and join, Beef O, if you don't find it anywhere else.
        (As to NML generally, http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page2 )

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          Its available on Naxos Music Library - Catalogue No.: MSV28579. (I know its in the image above but sometimes the layout for their index is different). You should get on down to the Barbican Library and join, Beef O, if you don't find it anywhere else.
          (As to NML generally, http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page2 )
          Thanks, CS. I'll check out the Naxos Music Library for it

I'm not sure I know what the Barbican library is. Do I go and visit a physical library?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            .......Do I go and visit a physical library?.....
            Well, yes, its in the Barbican arts complex. You only need to go once - to present the physical ID / address docs, then there is the Naxos Music Library as a free resource in its online resources (and also Oxford Music which it seems subsumed Grove and Oxford Music Dicitionary; and more online resources including e-magazines (BBC Music Magazine there IIRC).

I think for the library facility it streams at 128kbs, if one subscribes (pays) it would be 320kbs. I am surprised by the quality of sound and its certainly good enough for listening to see if a recording appeals. Often there are PDF booklets. The biggest ommisions on booklets are the behemoths' back catalogues - DGG, Decca etc but OTOH you will find multiples of Bohm, Klemperer, Karajan performances to try).

You won't find Hyperion (seems to withhold on all streaming services) there and some other labels (Resonus for one). (Apologies if you already know all this, and access NML by some other means. For anyone else interested there is some more info in the link to the NML thread I gave above).

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
              Well, yes, its in the Barbican arts complex. You only need to go once - to present the physical ID / address docs, then there is the Naxos Music Library as a free resource in its online resources (and also Oxford Music which it seems subsumed Grove and Oxford Music Dicitionary; and more online resources including e-magazines (BBC Music Magazine there IIRC).

I think for the library facility it streams at 128kbs, if one subscribes (pays) it would be 320kbs. I am surprised by the quality of sound and its certainly good enough for listening to see if a recording appeals. Often there are PDF booklets. The biggest ommisions on booklets are the behemoths' back catalogues - DGG, Decca etc but OTOH you will find multiples of Bohm, Klemperer, Karajan performances to try).

You won't find Hyperion (seems to withhold on all streaming services) there and some other labels (Resonus for one). (Apologies if you already know all this, and access NML by some other means. For anyone else interested there is some more info in the link to the NML thread I gave above).
              Thanks once again. This is all new to me. I passed the Barbican a few days ago and I'm in that area fairly often so I'll pop in and get sorted.

Comment

• Beppe
                • Sep 2018

The music and singing in this is really weird, but listening to the clips, I could not help ordering a copy. Reminds me somewhat of Die Frau ohne Schatten.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Beppe View Post
                  The music and singing in this is really weird, but listening to the clips, I could not help ordering a copy. Reminds me somewhat of Die Frau ohne Schatten.

I picked this up a few years ago for £6. I need to think about the Die Frau connection!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Despite what the naysayers say, I've always loved Cecilia Bartoli's singing and have bought each of her CDs as they are released. However, I've decided that I'm going to wait until her Vivaldi disc, released today, ends up in a charity shop. I've encountered so many of her recordings in these outlets, (one of the few places one can actually buy CDs!), that it's almost inevitable that I'll pick one up in the next couple of months.

Cynical?

Not sure.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Despite what the naysayers say, I've always loved Cecilia Bartoli's singing and have bought each of her CDs as they are released. However, I've decided that I'm going to wait until her Vivaldi disc, released today, ends up in a charity shop. I've encountered so many of her recordings in these outlets, (one of the few places one can actually buy CDs!), that it's almost inevitable that I'll pick one up in the next couple of months.

Cynical?

Not sure.
                      Well her voice has developed like a fine wine, revealing new layers of warmth.

Apparently.

Anyway, I’m a fan too, PG, but I’m giving it a spin on Apple Music later. So will report back.

Dont like the album cover though......
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Well her voice has developed like a fine wine, revealing new layers of warmth.

Apparently.

Anyway, I’m a fan too, PG, but I’m giving it a spin on Apple Music later. So will report back.

Dont like the album cover though......

Very keen to hear what you think, TS.

Despite having been a violinist in an Opera Orchestra I know very little about singing. The only time I've gone WOW! was when I picked up Ms. Bartoli' early compilation album in my local library to hear what all the fuss was about. I remember straining my over stretched credit card to buy a couple of her discs and being mightily impressed. Some time later I heard her and was lucky enough to meet her afterwards. What a sweetie!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Right now I'm waiting on the triple Ken Russell DVD of the three drama docs from the 1960s on Debussy, Elgar and Mahler. It had better come soon: they've banked my cheque! This comes on the heels of a double box set of the first 7 series of Minder - the ones with Dennis Waterman I have always loved, and which bring back that part of west London of my childhood and the dry humour. Ime it went downhill with his replacement - got a bit too serious about itself when Arthur came out as a Thatcherite.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            Very keen to hear what you think, TS.

Despite having been a violinist in an Opera Orchestra I know very little about singing. The only time I've gone WOW! was when I picked up Ms. Bartoli' early compilation album in my local library to hear what all the fuss was about. I remember straining my over stretched credit card to buy a couple of her discs and being mightily impressed. Some time later I heard her and was lucky enough to meet her afterwards. What a sweetie!
                            Just listening to the last couple of arias.

Can’t think of a single reason why you might be disappointed , PG.
                            As you might expect, this isn’t one for looking at the score(s) or serious study, its one for settling down in a favourite chair with a cigar and a glass of something warming, and letting Cecilia and the orchestra pour balm all over the irritations of the day.
                            Lovely playing and sound from the orchestra, seems like a nicely balanced choice of arias, and CB is bang on form. If I had to be really picky, I might suggest that just occasionally she doesn’t quite get full enough weight on the odd note or two in mid range runs, but that IS being very picky, because there is so much wonderful and beautiful vintage Bartoli, especially the delicate strength in so many of the exposed higher passages and more sustained notes.

Really, if anybody else produced this sort of quality, it would be a sensation.
                            It’s gorgeous. Put it on your Xmas list ,PG.
                            It’s on mine.
                            Last edited by teamsaint; 24-11-18, 00:37.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Just listening to the last couple of arias.

Can’t think of a single reason why you might be disappointed , PG.
                              As you might expect, this isn’t one for looking at the score(s) or serious study, its one for settling down in a favourite chair with a cigar and a glass of something warming, and letting Cecilia and the orchestra pour balm all over the irritations of the day.
                              Lovely playing and sound from the orchestra, seems like a nicely balanced choice of arias, and CB is bang on form. If I had to be really picky, I might suggest that just occasionally she doesn’t quite get full enough weight on the odd note or two in mid range runs, but that IS being very picky, because there is so much wonderful and beautiful vintage Bartoli, especially the delicate strength in so many of the exposed higher passages and more sustained notes.

Really, if anybody else produced this sort of quality, it would be a sensation.
                              It’s gorgeous. Put it on your Xmas list ,PG.
                              It’s on mine.
                              Many thanks, TS.

And, as I've heard, Christmas is coming...

Comment

• Conchis
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Right now I'm waiting on the triple Ken Russell DVD of the three drama docs from the 1960s on Debussy, Elgar and Mahler. It had better come soon: they've banked my cheque! This comes on the heels of a double box set of the first 7 series of Minder - the ones with Dennis Waterman I have always loved, and which bring back that part of west London of my childhood and the dry humour. Ime it went downhill with his replacement - got a bit too serious about itself when Arthur came out as a Thatcherite.
                                If it's the BBC ones you mean, it's Elgar, Delius and Debussy. The Mahler was a later, feature film.

I picked both of the Russell at the Beeb sets up last year and they are marvellous.

Comment

Working...
                                X