What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    I accidentally activated my 'trial' Prime membership last month and can honestly say it makes virtually no difference, as I tend to buy most of my stuff from marketplace sellers.
    As one with Prime membership and some dependence on Amazon for their competitively-priced Amazon Pantry service (as well as the usual books and music etc) I can say that the free one-day delivery works very reliably indeed. But of course it was never meant to include the marketplace, no.
    AS a non-driver these days it can rescue me from some tight spots - my RSPB food order didn't come on the expected day, but I was able to get some seed through very quickly via Amazon to cover for the weekend. For which the ferals, tits, finches etc are truly grateful....
    (Trouble is it now looks like the RSPB delivery won't come tomorrow either.... now ​there's a next-day delivery service that often ​fails...)

Amazon new release CD prices aren't always competitive, no... but if you can't contain your enthusiasm & ​ I want it & I want it now you have the choice.... it's a market, that's all.

(Free/Standard Delivery were never meant to be all that quick anyway....
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 30-07-17, 16:49.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      my RSPB food order didn't come on the expected day, but I was able to get some seed through very quickly via Amazon to cover for the weekend. For which the ferals, tits, finches etc are truly grateful....
      (Trouble is it now looks like the RSPB delivery won't come tomorrow either.... now ​there's a next-day delivery service that often ​fails...)
      Have you tried this lot Jayne? Been using them for years, totally reliable and usually next day.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Wagner: The Ring (Patrice Chereau/Pierre Boulez) DVD -
        Tchaikovsky: Complete Symphonies (Ricardo Muti)
        Haydn: Sonatas/Variations (Andreas Staier, fortepiano)
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Received the RCO125 set last Monday and am somewhat over-awed by the sheer scale of what I've got here! 152 CD's choc full of performances given by the Concertgebouw Orchestra from the 1930s to the present day. There is a lot of music here that I've not otherwise got on CD so plenty to enjoy. My major problem is finding the time to listen what with Proms, full-time work, catching up with the racing from Goodwood, meeting friends etc, etc.

One Amazon reviewer decided to start at the beginning and go on to the end but that's just impossible really in my case. On a negative side I most certainly agree with the same reviewer who complains of the flimsy box lids. Can you believe the RCO go to all the trouble of assembling this magnificent set and then decide to use such stupidly flimsy lids? I am always very careful when handling CDs but it's inevitable that the lids will get damaged in some silly accident.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Have you tried this lot Jayne? Been using them for years, totally reliable and usually next day.
            The food's as good as the RSPB is it?
            Anyway, the end of my RSPB saga was... a mistaken double-order (which I'd tried to change via phonecalls twice ) arrived all at once....8 large bags of seed in immovable boxes on the step.... you feel that the feral/woodie count will be going up soon... (the populous junior tit & finch gangs are already expensive to maintain...)

Our hall/stairs/cloakroom looks a bit like a farmyard now...

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Anyway, the end of my RSPB saga was... a mistaken double-order (which I'd tried to change via phonecalls twice ) arrived all at once....8 large bags of seed in immovable boxes on the step.... you feel that the feral/woodie count will be going up soon... (the populous junior tit & finch gangs are already expensive to maintain...)

Our hall/stairs/cloakroom looks a bit like a farmyard now...
              Herring gulls around?

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

I am going to Amsterdam for the first time and have ordered a used copy y of Irving Stone's biography of Van Gogh, Lust For Life. Currently rereading the Diary of Anne Frank for the first time since I was AF's age. My wife read it and was sobbing for days.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Herring gulls around?
                  The odd one or two, disarmingly tame...they drop in when the tide is full at the coast, throw back their heads and resonate from rooftops... with handsome Lesser Black-Backs (perhaps refugees from the notorious Bowland Hunts...) as a lovely alternative...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Absolutely. For many years they had a sponsorship deal with the BTO. The birds are getting through it at an alarming rate, cf your junior tit and finch gangs, so they think it's OK. Our bird feeders are also a sparrowhawk feeding station, so nearly everyone's a winner (but that's why tits etc. have so many offspring )

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                      Likewise cancelled. V poor from A*****. Minded to complain for the sheer doodah of it.
                      Re: Amazon and Straussgate. I did pee into their wind and received a longish reply from a named human being, but most of it looked like automated responses. The wriggle-out sentence was this:
                      "While we do our best to stick to our estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers".
                      They kindly gave my a link to their £82 offer.

Despite all the jiggery-pokery I think I do want the box and have noticed a reduced offer at jpc of 59.99 Euro, about £60 delivered - cheaper than Amazon or Presto (£99) - and still pretty good value for 33 CDs (would, of course, have been even better before the pound's collapse). My clicking finger is hovering.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

Regards the Amazon tactic, I wonder whether a complaint to trading standards is appropriate - offering goods that do not exist (Amazon says they could not secure supply) not as a mere error but as part of their regular offers in their business process. Unfair on the consumer. But any action would not be likely to benefit us individually. And trading standards as a local authority service is cut down to the bone as to staff etc so they might not regards it as a priority.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

I just had a bizarre Amazon experience. I had ordered the Beartrice Rana cd of the Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev piano concertos. I'd bought a few things which took me over the £20 free p&p barrier and I sat back and waited. Well, my stuff arrived after 5 days but what was really odd was that the plastic wrapped cd was absolutely filthy and when I opened it the plastic box, the booklet and the cd were also covered in dust. (And I mean thick enough to write ones initials in it!) I've returned the whole caboodle and asked for a refund.

Very bizarre!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Tomorrow sees the start of a Sunday bus service from close to my house to the town centre. As if by magic, my order for the Kovacevich Beethoven Piano Sonatas boxed set is due to be delivered to the Amazon locker installation at the Morrison's supermarket there that very day. I don't normally shop at Morrison but might just make an exception on this occasion. I seem to recall their own label butter is competitively priced.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Tomorrow sees the start of a Sunday bus service from close to my house to the town centre.
                              Are you driving the bus, Bryn?
                              Isn't that something you do/did?

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                Are you driving the bus, Bryn?
                                Isn't that something you do/did?
                                No, I will be using my National Bus Pass.
                                These days just part time, and not locally to my residence.

Oh, and the price at the time I placed the order was £25.57. With Amazon's price guarantee I will end up paying but £15.40.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 19-08-17, 20:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X