What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I only have 1, 3 & 9 from the Staatskapelle Dresden set picked up ultra cheaply at a charity shop a few years ago.
    The comparison will be interesting, also with his SFSO 1 & 3!

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
      • Dec 2010

I think this question may go here, rather than opening another thread:

I purchase most of my books at local bookshop, but sometimes I want to buy a used (therefore less costly) copy of a foreign (usually English) book, and I order it online, in spite of my recent attempt to less use the internet. Can anybody here tell me what is the difference between Amazon and AbeBooks since the latter is owned by the former? Are there other similar services?

(To remain in keeping with this thread, I am waiting for the original English version of The Last Resort Library by Irving Finkel, which has just appeared in French, and the original version of which I would like to read.)

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Do you have his old Staatskapelle Dresden set? I'd be interested to hear how they compare.
        I have the old Staatskappelle Dresden set, but not the Leipzig. I was disappointed. There is nothing inherently wrong about it, and of course the playing is magnificent, but there is no fire from Blomstedt. "Stately" is the adjective I would choose, and you may prefer your LvB stately. I do not.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
          Can anybody here tell me what is the difference between Amazon and AbeBooks since the latter is owned by the former?
          Very little, according to my local secondhand bookseller, recently closed and replaced by a paint shop

I do use Amazon Marketplace sellers, since although 15% of their selling price goes to Amazon (including 15% of the postage on 1p books), I have to buy from someone who has the book I need - which more and more often I can get free as a digitised download.

I found this by googling (ha!) 'alternatives to amazon and abebooks'. I've bought from Wordery and the Book Depository via Amazon, but the 'marketplace' idea is an effective way of uniting buyers with the right seller.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I do use Amazon Marketplace sellers, since although 15% of their selling price goes to Amazon (including 15% of the postage on 1p books), I have to buy from someone who has the book I need - which more and more often I can get free as a digitised download.
            Thank you. yes, it was the marketplace sellers from whom I purchased, that helped keep the cost of books down. The commercial marketplace sellers seem to appear in AbeBooks as well.
            Ordering CDs from Amazon in the U.K. is nearly always cheaper than my local Fnac, postage included. That nice M. leClerc has a "centre culturel" but like Fnac has a restricted range. Sometimes I will buy a digital book, but I prefer the real thing, except when travelling.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

V
              I've bought from Wordery and the Book Depository via Amazon
              I now have several of the nice little bookmarks Wordery send you

The live Alfred Brendel Diabelli (thanks to Bryn for the details) "has been dispatched sooner than expected" so I'm looking forward to that.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Spent the last of my birthday Amazon gift vouchers on the Beethoven Symphonies from Herbert Blomstedt and the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig released tomorrow.

If their performance of the 7th at last year's Proms was any guide then this set should be well worth looking forward to.
                A disappointing e-mail from Amazon to say that this item has been unexpectedly delayed. A new delivery date of July 25 - August 7 has been given. The original release date of June 30 has gone by the wayside and Presto now have a revised release date of July 7 while MDT have so far not made any amendment. Amazon will probably revise again to a date more in line with Presto.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

A disappointing e-mail from Amazon to say that this item has been unexpectedly delayed. A new delivery date of July 25 - August 7 has been given. The original release date of June 30 has gone by the wayside and Presto now have a revised release date of July 7 while MDT have so far not made any amendment. Amazon will probably revise again to a date more in line with Presto.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Maasaki Suzuki's volume 2 of JSB organ cycle, came yesterday. Not had time to play it yet. Expecting the Hyperion Walton CD to arrive that played the Hindemith Variations on Record Review last Saturday!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Galzunov Complete symphonies

RSSO

Snaffled a set of the for under a fiver inc postage.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Galzunov Complete symphonies

RSSO

Snaffled a set of the for under a fiver inc postage.
                        At that price, I can see how you'd be glavinised to buy it
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Wonderful 2ndhand treasures in the mail today - the Martinu String Quartets complete cycle from the Stamic Quartet on Bayer (my third set after the Panochas (Supraphon) and the Kocian/Prazak/Zemlinsky (Praga) ; and the two rarely-recorded Enescu Piano Quartets on Olympia, formerly on the Romanian Electrecord label and featuring all-Romanian performers (it usually makes the difference ) - Voces Quartet and Yvonne Piedemonte...
                          You can still find some Electrecord/OLympias of Enescu's Orchestral works but chamber recordings are much rarer...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            Barenboim's 'Dream of Gerontius that's released on July 7th. Also, the Dvorak 'New World' from Chi-Chi Nwanoku's Chineke! Orchestra.

Sounds great!

I received an email from Presto today to say that 'Gerontius' was dispatched today but the Chineke! disc was delayed. It's hardly the biggest problem facing the world today but, bearing in mind the pre-release publicity it's received, its surprising it can't make its release date.

Most odd.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                              I received an email from Presto today to say that 'Gerontius' was dispatched today but the Chineke! disc was delayed. It's hardly the biggest problem facing the world today but, bearing in mind the pre-release publicity it's received, its surprising it can't make its release date.

Most odd.

Well

If the Chumbas can get the Thatcher CD to me the day after her death
                              maybe what they need are some anarchists from Leeds ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Very little, according to my local secondhand bookseller, recently closed and replaced by a paint shop

I found this by googling (ha!) 'alternatives to amazon and abebooks'. I've bought from Wordery and the Book Depository via Amazon, but the 'marketplace' idea is an effective way of uniting buyers with the right seller.
                                For those not keen on Amazon, I'd suggest going direct to Wordery or Books etc.
                                Both have excellent websites,and are definitely unconnected with amazon.

Both tell me that you should always get the best deal direct on their website, rather than via Market place, although due to pricing and market complexities, I don't think it always works out that way.

Just in case anybody isn't aware, although this is very well known, Book Depository is owned by Amazon.
                                Last edited by teamsaint; 07-07-17, 22:35.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X