What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

A Marketplace copy of this

I've owned Christoff's complete box of M's songs on LP for years but have been driven demented by the fact that every single song is placed in absolutely strict chronological sequence. This means that cycles are interrupted by unrelated songs, and with songs even put out of proper order within each cycle The CD will put them all back together neatly - I trust!
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      A Marketplace copy of this

I've owned Christoff's complete box of M's songs on LP for years but have been driven demented by the fact that every single song is placed in absolutely strict chronological sequence. This means that cycles are interrupted by unrelated songs, and with songs even put out of proper order within each cycle The CD will put them all back together neatly - I trust!
      A friend of mine has got that. I only have the References complete set.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Following a favourable mention elsewhere (can't find it now; the Marriner RIP thread, perhaps, or What are you listening to now?), Marriner's recording of Pulcinella (complete).

A twofer coupled with Muti's Rite and Petrushka.

Well, if Alpie can have all those versions of his beloved piece, surely I can squeeze another Pulcinella in?
        It was I who so much enjoyed the Marriner recording of the complete Pulcinella on the 'WAYLTN' thread. It's graced with some characterful singing and played with great gusto. As I mentioned in the thread, it just sounds as if everyone had plenty of fun recording it.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          It was I who so much enjoyed the Marriner recording of the complete Pulcinella on the 'WAYLTN' thread. It's graced with some characterful singing and played with great gusto. As I mentioned in the thread, it just sounds as if everyone had plenty of fun recording it.
          Looking forward to hearing it (and the Muti Rite too!).
          I now can't remember if the first LP recording of the suite I had was ASMF/Marriner (Argo) or OSR/Ansermet (Decca Ace of Diamonds); I like them both and expect to like this complete version too, judging from your comments.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            I only have the References complete set.
            Conchis: in case I'm ever tempted, does that still do the daft strict-chronology trick? My LP set is actually a German one (with song-texts in German only). I merely assume that it replicates the UK LPs - or is it some weird independent example of German scholarly 'efficiency'?

I'm reading a book on Mus(s)orgsky and his Circle at the minute, from which it is clear that a chronological survey is very problematic if you are only including one version of each song. Often there are different ones years apart. Somehow I doubt if Christoff always did the earliest one - does anyone know?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              I'm reading a book on Mus(s)orgsky and his Circle at the minute
              The Stephen Walsh book?! What a coincidence, if so - I bought a copy only last week
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                The Stephen Walsh book?! What a coincidence, if so - I bought a copy only last week
                Yep, that's the one! I got mine through a Marketplace seller for about a fiver. Good value for money I reckon - I've already got one random post out of it, #74 here http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...al-piano/page3

Do you have any info on the question I raised there: does the Ruslan instance count as piano with orchestra?

I do admire the way Walsh manages to set Mussorgsky in proper historical context: the very short, weak roots of existing Russian-national 'classical' music - Glinka's example not really being enough on his own to constitute same, with his small and not 100% successful output, the almost non-existent academic teaching of even basic harmony and counterpoint, etc etc. It's also a bit much having to write so much biography of the other Handful members, and of miscellaneous critics, political philosophers and so on. But as far as I've got, IMO he's doing very well!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Edmund Rubbra - String Quartets 1-4. Dante Quartet

I so wanted to get the Magginis on Naxos as they deserve support for ‘services to neglected British Chamber Music’, but in the end I couldn’t resist this Dutton 2 CD set.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Oh, lordy! I also bought the CHANDOS set of the Rubbra S4tets last week (£2.99 from Oxfam in Holfirth) played by the Sterling Quartet.

(If anyone wishes to really freak me out, they can tell me they've been recently "playing" the British Library CD-ROM [do they still make these? I love them! ] of the Lindisfarne Gospels!!!!)

LMP; my copy cost me £6.99 brand new from Brierlow Bar Bookstore, just outside Buxton - ferney heaven: an enormous bookshop with tea rooms! I haven't started reading it yet. I don't know the Glinka, but it does sound a similar case to the solo piano in the soprano aria in Puccini's La Rondine - in other words, it's not really an orchestral piano (in the sense of a piano being used as a member of the orchestral percussion) but a discrete instrument - albeit paired with the harp - used for that particular moment in the score, but never used again.

Russ&Lud is one of those pieces that I know of because of its historical importance, but which (Overture aside) I've never heard.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.
                        Interesting 'fillers' too, including the Cello Sonata.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Oh, lordy! I also bought the CHANDOS set of the Rubbra S4tets last week (£2.99 from Oxfam in Holfirth) played by the Sterling Quartet.
                          Conifer, not Chandos, surely?
                          A snip at the price, but I think Beefy's set is better.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.
                            Interesting 'fillers' too, including the Cello Sonata.
                            Yes, I only just realised it has some interesting fillers when I loaded the image of the CD cover

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Conifer, not Chandos, surely?

A snip at the price, but I think Beefy's set is better.
                              Considerably more Music on that set, too. But this one'll do for me for now.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

I so wanted to get the Magginis on Naxos as they deserve support for ‘services to neglected British Chamber Music’, but in the end I couldn’t resist this Dutton 2 CD set.

Surely you need both BeefO,IMO the magnificent Magginis edge it.
                                I don't know the Sterling Quartet's recordings,perhaps we need those too.

Comment

Working...
                                X