What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

With some trepidation, I have just ordered a CD of works by Thomas Ades, including 'Asyla'. I dont suppose I shall play it much, but it will be a useful addition to my extensive collection of CDs you play to drive away guests who wont go home when you want to go to bed. About ten seconds of Harrison Birtwistle is usually enough to clear the room. it'll be interesting to see if Ades is even more effective.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      2 CD set with Strauss' Metamorphosen and Tod Und Verklarung?
      Metamorphosen and Siegfried Idyll.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
        With some trepidation, I have just ordered a CD of works by Thomas Ades, including 'Asyla'. I dont suppose I shall play it much, but it will be a useful addition to my extensive collection of CDs you play to drive away guests who wont go home when you want to go to bed. About ten seconds of Harrison Birtwistle is usually enough to clear the room. it'll be interesting to see if Ades is even more effective.
        Try Lachenmann - can empty a room in seconds

Comment

• umslopogaas
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Barbirollians! I'll investigate. I dont know him and he isnt in the 2010 Penguin Guide. Can you post details (manufacturer and code number) of a CD?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Petrushka's postings about OK's M7 made me want to give a quick (?) listen. I quickly realised that I don't have a recording of it. So I've ordered this. I have a memory of someone, somewhere, in summertime, saying that the EMI France are the best transfers. Some doubles, but I don't have M$ either. Not bad for £7.50, all in.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Petrushka's postings about OK's M7 made me want to give a quick (?) listen. I quickly realised that I don't have a recording of it. So I've ordered this. I have a memory of someone, somewhere, in summertime, saying that the EMI France are the best transfers. Some doubles, but I don't have M$ either. Not bad for £7.50, all in.

There's something about translation Le chant de la terre sounds somehow more beautiful than the German.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                There's something about translation Le chant de la terre sounds somehow more beautiful than the German.
                Well just about everything sounds better in French!! And maybe Italian.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Well just about everything sounds better in French!! And maybe Italian.
                  ... and best of all in Welsh, of course.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    ... and best of all in Welsh, of course.
                    I was just going to say....

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

The Warner box isn't exactly expensive and the transfers are superb. You might well lose patience with the slowness of the 7th but there is another caveat to bear in mind, this time regarding the Resurrection. Apparently, as EMI wanted to transfer the 2nd on to 1 CD they indulged in some frankly disgraceful trickery. What they did was to digitally speed it up. All EMI transfers take 79'25''. The Warner box contains the first transfer done at the correct speed making it clock in at 80'10''.

You might wish they'd done something similar with the 7th!

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Apparently, as EMI wanted to transfer the 2nd on to 1 CD they indulged in some frankly disgraceful trickery. What they did was to digitally speed it up. All EMI transfers take 79'25''. The Warner box contains the first transfer done at the correct speed making it clock in at 80'10''.

Well I'll be Jonny Mac'd. Is that for real?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

The Warner box isn't exactly expensive and the transfers are superb. You might well lose patience with the slowness of the 7th but there is another caveat to bear in mind, this time regarding the Resurrection. Apparently, as EMI wanted to transfer the 2nd on to 1 CD they indulged in some frankly disgraceful trickery. What they did was to digitally speed it up. All EMI transfers take 79'25''. The Warner box contains the first transfer done at the correct speed making it clock in at 80'10''.

You might wish they'd done something similar with the 7th!
                          That is very interesting Petrushka. I already have #2 from a few years back, on EMI. It would have been nice to have got the Warner set, if I'd known (even if the time difference will be imperceptible, if it's applied uniformly across the whole work).

I don't have 4 or 7, and it's those I'm interested in, anyway. I can't remember where I read it, but someone was quite convinced that the French EMI transfers are better. A bit like the Australian Eloquence transfers, allegedly.

I will be quite ok with the 'broad' M7, no need to speed it up - I'm a huge fan of Reginald Goodall and Sergiu Celibidache, so I know what I'm getting myself into!
                          Last edited by Beef Oven!; 21-02-16, 20:47. Reason: I opened some brackets, but didn't close them. Can't blame that on cyclists.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Well I'll be Jonny Mac'd. Is that for real?
                            Knowledgeable Amazon reviewers seem to be convinced. I've no idea where they got their information from but having been sceptical myself, the timings don't lie. Yes, it would imperceptible but it's still deception. I also had an earlier EMI transfer which has now gone.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Knowledgeable Amazon reviewers seem to be convinced. I've no idea where they got their information from but having been sceptical myself, the timings don't lie. Yes, it would imperceptible but it's still deception. I also had an earlier EMI transfer which has now gone.
                              Could it just be a matter of the pauses between the movements and run out at the end? I does only add up to 45 seconds. I do not have an earlier remastering to check against either.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Could it just be a matter of the pauses between the movements and run out at the end? I does only add up to 45 seconds. I do not have an earlier remastering to check against either.
                                I did wonder whether that could be the answer. Now EMI has gone we can't really do a VW on them can we? But if it is quickened up the pitch must be a little higher but would it show and if it does would it just sound that little bit brighter and be passed off as a superior remastering? A bit like listening to an LP at 33.33333333 and a bit before we checked it against the strobe?

Comment

Working...
                                X