What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Just ordered the new box of concertos by the recently discussed Roger Woodward.

Nice to have a good mix of familiar and eclectic.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
      A strange occurrence ferney. I was intending to join Douglas Glass of the ' Times' who produced magnificent portraits of remarkable people but he received a building permit at the last moment, so I was passed along to his friend, a theatre photographer called John Vickers. A long searching interview & I was agreeing to a contract for three years. He had sole photo rights to the Vic. I have told in another earlier contribution of having help & lunch bought for me in my first week
      By Alec Guinness !
      Interesting, gamba. I assume your stint at the Old Vic was during the post WWII years when the company was based in St Martin's Lane, before they returned to their original site at Waterloo, early1951? - this is where I came in during National Service conscription.

I also subscribed to the monthly Theatre World magazine from the late 40s - now on my shelves as annual anthologies which probably contain your work, along with John Vickers - pause for a giggle as I almost wrote Jon Vickers: - and I also have a copy of Shakespeare at the Old Vic, 1953/54, with 120 "action photographs"as part of the Old Vic's Five Year first folio plan. Stricken with disbelief when I realise we're talking about 60 years ago!

I also regularly consult the hefty, Photographs of Angus McBean, (2009), Thames & Hudson, lavishly illustrated. I agree, the Old Vic provided a firm grounding in the Shakespearian canon and I regularly made outings to Stratford-on Avon, Memorial Theatre - coach and a 2/6d seat in the gods - yet, within a decade they arrived at their London base at the Aldwych Theatre and Olivier followed suit, cheek-by-jowl with the formation of the National Theatre at the Old Vic in 1972. Heady times for all concerned.

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

Thank you Stanley, how very interesting. You won't see my name on the pictures ,John only had the right !
        Anyway, I began to resent his methods, ultimately becoming involved with documentary film work".
        Will try for a more detailed reply later. This device is playing up. Anyway, many thanks.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Gil Shaham playing the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for violin solo.

I'm scared to count how many have now!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Carl Nielsen - Symphonies.
            Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Herbert Blomstedt.

A second hand set in VGC for £5.43 from Amazon. Justifiable

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Carl Nielsen - Symphonies.
              Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Herbert Blomstedt.

A second hand set in VGC for £5.43 from Amazon. Justifiable
              Is that including Tax?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Is that including Tax?
                Yeah, 20% VAT. You can't escape tax, MrGG. Even Amazon pay every penny of tax that's due on their trading.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Yeah, 20% VAT. You can't escape tax, MrGG. Even Amazon pay every penny of tax that's due on their trading.
                  from "Animals" (1977)All rights are reserved to their respective owners.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

I sometimes think the marketplace traders pay it for them based on the commission charged!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

After playing the Blomstedt EMI & Decca sets, I'm really interested in hearing the Ole Schmidt so I have ordered the set from Amazon, brand new and including p&p for £8.79, which I think is quite a bargain.

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Bach Partitas: Scott Ross; Bach Partitas: Trevor Pinnock; Single CD of Scarlatti Sonatas: Scott Ross; Franck: Quintet in F Minor, Violin Sonata, Symphony in D minor, Symphonic Variations, Prelude Chorale & Fugue. DVD Carmen: ROH Kaufmann.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                          Bach Partitas: Scott Ross; Bach Partitas: Trevor Pinnock; Single CD of Scarlatti Sonatas: Scott Ross; Franck: Quintet in F Minor, Violin Sonata, Symphony in D minor, Symphonic Variations, Prelude Chorale & Fugue. DVD Carmen: ROH Kaufmann.
                          ... clearly a Person of Taste

Which Franck are you going for here?

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... clearly a Person of Taste

Which Franck are you going for here?
                            It's all your fault!
                            Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            But there is one performance that absolutely outclasses them all -

For me it is the best thing Scott Ross ever did, among his extraordinary accomplishments. The legend has it that they were recorded in one session, throughout the night, he at the limit of his health but in 'a state of grace'. Among the most 'perfect' Bach CDs I can think of.
                            Franck: 2 CD Erata with a.o. Olivier Charlier and Jean Hubeau and Viotti String Qt. plus Devoyon and J Martinon
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Having waited for its release for decades, I missed it when it finally came out in January.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Having waited for its release for decades, I missed it when it finally came out in January.
                                Long overdue

Comment

Working...
                                X