What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I'm not sure whether or not it was there when I was placing my order. A bit remiss of me for failing to spot it if it was there but feel sure I'd have seen it.

By the time I get it the 'official' Amazon price will probably have dropped below what I've paid.
    I can't see the price dropping, that quickly.

It's easy to overlook the 2nd and other options in the list, but perhaps it was not available at the time you looked - we'll never know!

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      I can't see the price dropping, that quickly.

It's easy to overlook the 2nd and other options in the list, but perhaps it was not available at the time you looked - we'll never know!
      I'm afraid some less scrupulous marketplace traders see the innocents coming. I rarely go below a 98% satisfaction rating for this very reason. It's easy to be seduced by the first price option when a better rated alternative retailer may be selling the same item for a few pennies more. Often these items are in better condition than the lowest price option, but the retailer has perhaps been a bit more honest when appraising their condition. These honest retailers are often a bit quicker off the mark when it comes to despatching the goods as well. Still you live and learn.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        I'm afraid some less scrupulous marketplace traders see the innocents coming. I rarely go below a 98% satisfaction rating for this very reason. It's easy to be seduced by the first price option when a better rated alternative retailer may be selling the same item for a few pennies more. Often these items are in better condition than the lowest price option, but the retailer has perhaps been a bit more honest when appraising their condition. These honest retailers are often a bit quicker off the mark when it comes to despatching the goods as well. Still you live and learn.
        Yes, good observations. I should have said that I have to have a compelling reason to go below my threshold of 97%.

Regarding the descriptions, as you point out, this is very often a reflection on the fastidiousness and honesty, or otherwise, of the seller, than the item being sold.

Indeed, I agree, trial and error.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Ordered when I discovered the booklet notes (and possibly the selection process?) was by ex Scratch Orchestra and COMET/Cwm guitarist Derek Barker (Known these days more for his web-writings on Mahler).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

The performance of 4.33 is too slow.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              The performance of 4.33 is too slow.
              Never confound performance duration with track duration. Got to give a bit of 'dead air' at start and end.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Was waiting for, but delivered a few minutes ago:

Bruckner: Symphonies 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 (Blomstedt) [still waiting for No. 4 from a different supplier]
                Cage: Early Electronic and Tape Music (Performed by four Hear and Now associated folk, joined by mezzo-soprano Catherine Carter for Aria)
                Mozart: Complete Symphonies, etc. (Hogwood)
                Curzon (Decca), Vol. 1

+

for use tomorrow night's Nature Study Notes performance.

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Artur Rubinstein playing Brahms PS No. 3
                  Jonathan Plowright playing Brahms PS No. 3
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Roehre

Hartmann: 8 symphonies (RFO Hilversum)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

DSCH Symphony #10, SNO, Jarvi. At under £3.00 all in, I couldn't resist.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

The Karajan 1980s box is due out next week and my finger is hovering over the 'pre-order' button on both Amazon and MDT to see who ends up giving the best offer.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          The Karajan 1980s box is due out next week and my finger is hovering over the 'pre-order' button on both Amazon and MDT to see who ends up giving the best offer.
                          Haven't you got most of it already?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

This

Just arrived

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Still not got me head around virtuoso listening'' and 'deep listening'.

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                Haven't you got most of it already?
                                The one I had most duplicated was the 1970s box but I went ahead anyway and gave away the duplicates to my brother. I don't have as much duplication in the 1980s box as I'd thought. Clearing out the duplicates will give me more space for other CDs as the big box already has a space allocated for it (actually on top of both the 1960s and 1970s boxes to form a pyramid).
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X