What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    .. who, incidentally, is a keen music fan. A Canadian friend of my wife is related to him and about 30 years ago they spent a pleasant evening at the opera with him - Handel at ENO, I think.
    And jolly good company he is too.

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Olivier's Hamlet film. £3.75 at Amazon. Have discovered I have a young granddaughter suddenly & deeply addicted to Shakespeare - what a delight ! At last, someone to talk to. The end of the world is not yet nigh !!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
        Still waiting for a Shostakovich CD to come through from zoverstocks .. .I ordered 4 CDs altogether and 3 have arrived (all in separate packages, on two separate days) but this one seems 'lost' (I see they post from Jersey..)

Should I complain?
        I find this with Zoverstocks. You order several orders in one go, they then show as dispatched, 3 arrive. The outlier arrives 2 weeks later. So I'd easy wait as per Pab's steer.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gamba View Post
          Olivier's Hamlet film. £3.75 at Amazon. Have discovered I have a young granddaughter suddenly & deeply addicted to Shakespeare - what a delight ! At last, someone to talk to. The end of the world is not yet nigh !!
          Great post, gamba - what a delight! Lucky her having a mentor like you for a grandad

The David Tennant version on DVD is pretty good too.

Comment

• Radio64
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I find this with Zoverstocks. You order several orders in one go, they then show as dispatched, 3 arrive. The outlier arrives 2 weeks later. So I'd easy wait as per Pab's steer.
            Ok Beefs - as above. The "Leningrad" will have to wait, but if it's not here within 48 hours...heads will roll!
            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Radio64
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by gamba View Post
              Nice one Granddad! .. sort of hoping that will happen to me too one day ...

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=amateur51;407245]Great post, gamba - what a delight! Lucky her having a mentor like you for a grandad

The David Tennant version on DVD is pretty good too.[/QUO

I'm finding Kenneth Branagh the most popular. Am choosing Olivier for his mastery of the poetry , a wonderful sound.
                After the war I spent 3years learning the craft of theatre photography with The Old Vic. - Olivier was around most of the time. I shall never forget just how impressive he was as a person. I carry that memory with me. His voice was also quite unique, something else I have no wish to forget. His Hamlet film becomes a great souvenir.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Should have had delivered some cycling kit this weekend but the sneaky Royal Mail delivery guy saw me go out on Saturday, assumed no one else would be in and slipped a "While You Were out" card through the letter box without bothering to ring the bell. Lady V being in at the time rushed downstairs but the guy had evaporated as they do....

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Well, not the post nor down the shops but waiting for the studio master files (96/24) of the new MTT West Side Story to download from Qobuz. This is the first time I have availed myself of the three months validity of 50% discount on studio masters when taking out a years subscription to their listen online (320kbps mp3) service. I have listened to much of the musical that way and was sufficiently impressed to stump up the €7.99 (on top of the €199 for the year's subscription).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Well, not the post nor down the shops but waiting for the studio master files (96/24) of the new MTT West Side Story to download from Qobuz. This is the first time I have availed myself of the three months validity of 50% discount on studio masters when taking out a years subscription to their listen online (320kbps mp3) service. I have listened to much of the musical that way and was sufficiently impressed to stump up the €7.99 (on top of the €199 for the year's subscription).
                      Awaiting some of Abbado's early Mahler records on the DG Virtuoso label - 1,4 and 9 that I do not know - about £2.50 each from marketplace sellers on Amazon .

Comment

• Radio64
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                        Ok Beefs - as above. The "Leningrad" will have to wait, but if it's not here within 48 hours...heads will roll!
                        Cheapo-stakovich has entered the building! zoverstocks is saved!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I heard some of this composer's music on R3 2/3 weeks ago, and was blown away. I have listened to snatches of this CD on the Amazon site, and I couldn't wait any longer. Although it comes with a 'free' AutoRip, I will wait for the CD to drop onto the doormat, and get all excited ripping the packaging off! Yes, I am a saddo, but first CDs robbed us of the 'ritual' of getting a piece of vinyl out and the whole placing it on the turntable rigmarole, the downloads take away the rest! At least we are left with the music. :big grin:

Btw, what a great instrument the VDG is, and PP seems to be a master of his art.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Still awaiting for this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IRHGY8...51_TE_3p_dp_i1

Ordered on June 9 from Marketplace seller, Marvello UK, as it was £29.99 against Amazon's own price at that time of £51. Received e-mail on June 11 to say dispatched but with an estimated delivery (via DHL) of June 18 to July 8!!

This seems an excessively long time to wait for an item allegedly dispatched on June 11 and as I say it's not arrived as of now.

Anyone had any dealings with Marvello? They get a 95% rating on Amazon but I don't think they'll be getting one from me!
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Still awaiting for this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IRHGY8...51_TE_3p_dp_i1

Ordered on June 9 from Marketplace seller, Marvello UK, as it was £29.99 against Amazon's own price at that time of £51. Received e-mail on June 11 to say dispatched but with an estimated delivery (via DHL) of June 18 to July 8!!

This seems an excessively long time to wait for an item allegedly dispatched on June 11 and as I say it's not arrived as of now.

Anyone had any dealings with Marvello? They get a 95% rating on Amazon but I don't think they'll be getting one from me!
                              I don't know Marvello, so can't comment, but I've found that one has to be patient with marketplace traders and take the 'dispatched' date with a pinch of salt.

Btw, for 1p extra, there is a 100% rated seller, on the same item

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                Btw, for 1p extra, there is a 100% rated seller, on the same item
                                I'm not sure whether or not it was there when I was placing my order. A bit remiss of me for failing to spot it if it was there but feel sure I'd have seen it.

By the time I get it the 'official' Amazon price will probably have dropped below what I've paid.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X