What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Edit: Playing it again now, and I must say Bantock isn't a patch on the likes of Rubbra, Alwyn, Brian et al
    No it isn't but still worth listening to every so often.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      I'd like you to stop, if it's all the same with you. Thanks.
      Likewise I'm sure

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Likewise I'm sure
        Then stop and we will both be satisfied.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Donnerstag Aus Licht

I have heard the whole of Dienstag, parts Freitag, Samstag and Donnerstag and I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy my first opera from 'Licht'.

I have chosen 'Donnerstag' as my entry point because, of all the the extended excerpts I've heard, Act 2, 'Michael's Journey Around The World', keeps leaping into my imagination. Hopefully arrives next week.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Giuseppe Sinopoli, Philharmonia Orchestra et al, Mahler Symphonies and song-cycles. Eloquence, Deutsche Grammophon.

I think it's strange that although I have 53 different recordings of Mahler Symphonies and song-cycles, after many years of collecting, this is my first complete box-set of symphonies (for example, although I have about 20 more Bruckner recordings, there are about eight cycle box-sets).

£19.99 from Amazon and I've only got one duplication as I have some Dresdener Sinopoli Mahler

And by the way, I'm pleased that there was no AutoRip with this. I have the excitement and anticipation of delivery that AutoRip robs you of.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I've only got 5 & 8 from that cycle. I heard Sinopoli give 6 & 9 in London so I'd be interested in this set which has hitherto been prohibitively expensive.

I'm awaiting delivery of Abbado's set of the Haydn London Symphonies with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe plus his recordings of the Schoenberg & Schumann Piano Concertos plus a Nono CD as recommended by JLW.

Edit: Just ordered the Sinopoli Mahler for £18.93. Thanks, Beefy. Should be on the Bargains thread.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                I've only got 5 & 8 from that cycle. I heard Sinopoli give 6 & 9 in London so I'd be interested in this set which has hitherto been prohibitively expensive.

I'm awaiting delivery of Abbado's set of the Haydn London Symphonies with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe plus his recordings of the Schoenberg & Schumann Piano Concertos plus a Nono CD as recommended by JLW.

Edit: Just ordered the Sinopoli Mahler for £18.93. Thanks, Beefy. Should be on the Bargains thread.

I was a subscriber to the Philharmonia from the late eighties onward, during Sinopoli's time there.

Just checked, I paid £19.09, not £19.99, so you got yours for 16p less than me

Btw, I'm kicking myself because 2/3 years ago, Presto or someone was selling the full price DG version for £25 and I decide not to buy it. Then, a few months later I changed my mind and it had gone back to about £60 (as you say, prohibitively expensive). Shame, because it contains the live Philharmonia tour of Japan, Das Klagende Lied, which this Eloquence re-issue omits.
                Last edited by Beef Oven!; 25-01-14, 00:10.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Kempe's Dvorak 9 arrived today and it sounds a deal better on the BBC Legends CD than on You Tube - a real delight .

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Andrew Hill - Compulsion!!!!!

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique

Hans Werner Henze - Symphony #9 (BPO et al, Ingo Metzmacher)

Schubert Winterreise (Nataša Mirkovic-De Ro, accompanied on the hurdy-gurdy by Matthias Loibner.)

Cecil Taylor Unit

Comment

• gamba
                      Late member
                      • Dec 2010

The 23 CDs comprising Buchberter's version of all Haydn string quartets. Thank you for your support of this fantastic offer.

Comment

• Roehre

Thayer/Deiters/Reimann:
                        Ludwig van Beethovens Leben. 5 Vols, 1917 edition.
                        The original text used by Forbes as basis for his 1964/'67 Thayer's Life of Beethoven, the undisputed standard Beethoven biography.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Just checked clips from this. The audio urns out to be stereo. Eagerly awaiting delivery.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                            • Nov 2010

Anja Thauer's Dvorak cello concerto

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

I've just received Vols 3 & 4 from Dutton of the Busch Quartet's Beethoven from the 1930s. As Volume 4 was not listed on Dutton's website, I rang them to enquire, and they found me a copy from what was described as a very short supply. This interested me because I had earlier searched on Amazon and found a single copy on sale for£200 ! A little different from £5.99 !

So far in this series I've only had time to hear Op.59 No. 3. Naturally the sound is rather dry, but very immediate, and the playing is quite something, especially the cello playing of Herman Busch. When reviewing other versions, the first edition of the Record Guide back in 1951 bewailed the lack of good performances because at that time the Busch versions were already deleted, from my small sampling so far I can understand why they were missed.

Comment

• Radio64
                                • Jan 2014

Ok. € 25.00 amazon voucher birthday present.

But what classical CD(s) to spend it on?

Suggestions from the floor....?
                                "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Working...
                                X