What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Bruckner 9 - Bernstein

Nielsen, Sibelius & Bruckner - Dudamel

Haven't heard these. Bought on a whim. Anyone vouch for them?

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      Bruckner 9 - Bernstein

Nielsen, Sibelius & Bruckner - Dudamel

Haven't heard these. Bought on a whim. Anyone vouch for them?

Not keen on Dudamel so haven't heard that and can't vouch for it. The Bernstein is a different matter. Richard Osborne considered the finale to be one of the best around (I forget his exact words) but was slightly disappointed with the first movement. A fair assessment, I'd say. The Bruckner is also on DVD which I also have.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Not keen on Dudamel so haven't heard that and can't vouch for it. The Bernstein is a different matter. Richard Osborne considered the finale to be one of the best around (I forget his exact words) but was slightly disappointed with the first movement. A fair assessment, I'd say. The Bruckner is also on DVD which I also have.
        Strange that Bernstein on Bruckner only appears to have recorded No 9 and he did it twice - on CBS and DG!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Thanks. Hadn't realised the Bernstein is held in esteem. Looking forward to receiving it.

Comment

• scottycelt

Thanks. Hadn't realised the Bernstein is held in esteem. Looking forward to receiving it.
            I can vouch for the Bernstein as well. Had it on an old LP and found it a very moving and passionate, even emotional account. If there is one Bruckner symphony where emotion 'works' it is surely the Ninth?

Must buy the Rattle too when I (hopefully) receive my Xmas vouchers, innocently mentioned in passing to some of Santa's useful little helpers.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              I can vouch for the Bernstein as well. Had it on an old LP and found it a very moving and passionate, even emotional account. If there is one Bruckner symphony where emotion 'works' it is surely the Ninth?

Must buy the Rattle too when I (hopefully) receive my Xmas vouchers, innocently mentioned in passing to some of Santa's useful little helpers.
              The rattle is back up to £10 now on Amazon. I've seen it as low as £7 on there.

Comment

• scottycelt

The rattle is back up to £10 now on Amazon. I've seen it as low as £7 on there.
                Yes, fortunately Santa's little helpers are really into Amazon Gift Certificates these days ... so all fingers crossed!

Comment

• scottycelt

Crikey, Beefy ... why the sudden pre-Christmas sex change? ... not much difference, tbh.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Crikey, Beefy ... why the sudden pre-Christmas sex change? ... not much difference, tbh.
                    I beg your pardon!?

Comment

• scottycelt

I beg your pardon!?.
                      Ah, the real you ... perfect!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Ah, the real you ... perfect!
                        Gonna stick with this for a while.

I'm not as brave as you Scotty, I can't put a real picture of myself up there!!

Comment

• scottycelt

Gonna stick with this for a while.

I'm not as brave as you Scotty, I can't put a real picture of myself up there!!
                          Oooooooooo, you little charmer, Beefy ... well I thought when I decided to 'come out' as a Neanderthal I might get a bit of understanding and tender love and care around here .. so I see I'm much better outta this thread now!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Giuseppe Sinopoli - Berg, Schoenberg, Webern.

8 CD box set for £3.66

As advertised on the 'Sunday Night Chat' thread.

Fill yer boots!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Funnily enough I'm waiting for that too!

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Funnily enough I'm waiting for that too!
                                Crikey, me too.

(Many thanks to matthias broucek of this parish for alerting us to this giveaway).
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X