What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

Gavrilov's legendary Islamey, coupled with his epoch making accounts of Piotr Ilyich PC1 and Sergei Sergeyevich PC1; on EMI.

My original copy refuses to play; so much for the smart alecks who said that CDs were indestructible.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
      Gavrilov's legendary Islamey, coupled with his epoch making accounts of Piotr Ilyich PC1 and Sergei Sergeyevich PC1; on EMI.

My original copy refuses to play; so much for the smart alecks who said that CDs were indestructible.
      Yes, my EMI Carmina Burana from the early 90s gave up the ghost last night. Only got the Bohm now. Dead CDs are too thin to make good coasters and too small for Frisbees.

Comment

• Mahlerei

The new RVW SACD from Christopher Seaman and the Rochester Philharmonic (Harmonia Mundi)

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Christine Balfa Plays the Triangle : a whole album of solo triangle (I couldn't resist it !)

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte
            This weekend I've held my own mini-Music Nation featuring works from the three nations of the British mainland.
            Dunstable: Motets sung by the Hilliard Ensemble
            Ferneyhough: Flurries, Trittico, Incipits, Coloratura, In Nomine a 3, Allgebrah; Ensemble Exposé/Roger Redgate
            Dillon: ignis noster, helle nacht; BBCSO/Tamayo
            Carver: Mass: "Deus Creator Omnium", Mass a 3, Magnificat; Cappella Nova/Alan Tavener
            Barrett: Opening of the Mouth; Elision. Vanity; BBCSO/Tamayo
            Mathias: Symphonies 1 & 2; BBCNoW/ the Composer.
            (No Welsh Music that I know of from the times of the Twdurs or before. Any recommendations?)
            And, to finish off, Kathleen Ferrier singing folksong arrangements.

Seemed a better idea than what R3 had to offer!
            Wrong thread, I think!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
              Wrong thread, I think!

Quite right! Deleted with apologies.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Christine Balfa Plays the Triangle : a whole album of solo triangle (I couldn't resist it !)

http://valcourrecords.com/releases/c...s-the-triangle
                Are you being serious GG!!?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                  Are you being serious GG!!?
                  Absolutely, i've been thinking of buying it for ages and your interest inspired me

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Not expecting any CDs/DVDs this week! Should I see a doctor?
                    My GP prescribed some Retail Therapy - and who am I to argue.

I think I've shown admirable restraint.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Just as long as you are not expecting the most consistent of recording quality, or in some cases even repeat listenability, from the Schumann set. Some is o.k., but a few items are very poor indeed. I take it you ordered the Rachmaninov via the marketplace.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 06-03-12, 21:05. Reason: correction

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        . . . I take it you ordered the Rachmaninov via the marketplace.
                        You can take it indeed!
                        I am aware of the recording quality shortcomings of the Demus as I have got a couple already, but still think he's worth listening to - esp. at that unbelievable price. BTW Everybody seems to rave about Klara Wurz - must admit I have never heard her play either live or on CD.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Just as long as you are not expecting the most consistent of recording quality, or in some cases even repeat listenability, from the Schumann set. . .
                          The Schumann set has just arrived. Went straight for the Op. 111 c-minor piece. Surprised that Joerg Demus of all pianists outdoes both Horowitz and Cherkassky in the Op. 111 c-Moll piece as far as the requisite neurotic-nervous energy is concerned. Most impressed!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                            The Schumann set has just arrived. Went straight for the Op. 111 c-minor piece. Surprised that Joerg Demus of all pianists outdoes both Horowitz and Cherkassky in the Op. 111 c-Moll piece as far as the requisite neurotic-nervous energy is concerned. Most impressed!
                            What a coincidence, I have just now been listening to another great Op. 111 played by Demus (this time on a Graf, for sure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVbiqyMvGM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlFi5zK2VBQ

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I waited in vain for a DVD of The Cunning Little Vixen conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras from an Amazon supplier who turned out to be in Spain. They claimed to have sent it but nothing happened. The River People have kindly re-imbursed me and I am awaiting one from Sainsburys now which is £5 cheaper. I would think they are reliable.

Comment

• Beef Oven

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                                X