What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    It's surprising how long orders can take somtimes - I admire your patience, I would have given up on the Lonnie Donegan by now.

It'll be either on the Rock Island Line or stuck in the Cumberland Gap unless my old man's trashed it!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      It'll be either on the Rock Island Line or stuck in the Cumberland Gap unless my old man's trashed it!

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Not expecting any CDs/DVDs this week! Should I see a doctor?
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            How did that happen?

Comment

• robk
              • Nov 2010

I've given them up for lent (probably! - except for Butterworth Banks of Green Willow with Boult for £1.80 from Amazon),
              but I have signed up for Premium Spotify. I intend to do less buying and more listening.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Peter Grimes, Britten, Pears et al, Decca.

Been very content with the EMI Colin Davis/Jon Vickers set for the last 25 years or so and the Decca recording was always expensive, so I never got it. Now at £6.99 with free next day delivery on Amazon I thought it would be churlish not to buy it, and I don't want to be a churl.

Comment

• robk
                  • Nov 2010

Peter Grimes, Britten, Pears et al, Decca.

Been very content with the EMI Colin Davis/Jon Vickers set for the last 25 years or so and the Decca recording was always expensive, so I never got it. Now at £6.99 with free next day delivery on Amazon I thought it would be churlish not to buy it, and I don't want to be a churl.
                  I paid £10.99 for it last November - should have waited.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by robk View Post
                    Well I paid £6.49 for his War Requiem on Decca last week and two days later it went down to £4.97!! Should have waited!!!

I have the Hickox recording on Chandos and again, the Decca recording always seemed to be top price, so I never bought it until now.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

The trouble with waiting is that you can wait too long and either the price shoots up again or the deletions axe falls,
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        The trouble with waiting is that you can wait too long and either the price shoots up again or the deletions axe falls,
                        True, the deletion axe has fallen on so many (mainly EMI) recordings I wanted that I could cry! Also, Kubelik's Parsifal was available for £16.00 three years ago and I ummed and arred and it went up to £35 where it has stayed!

Comment

• robk
                          • Nov 2010

Well I paid £6.49 for his War Requiem on Decca last week and two days later it went down to £4.97!! Should have waited!!!

I have the Hickox recording on Chandos and again, the Decca recording always seemed to be top price, so I never bought it until now.

Ah - I got that one at the lower price. I have the Hickox too but I got to know the War Requiem on the Decca LP boxed set which I still have. I still expect to hear Vishnevskaya's amazing voice when I listen and it is good to have the original on CD.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Ah - I got that one at the lower price. I have the Hickox too but I got to know the War Requiem on the Decca LP boxed set which I still have. I still expect to hear Vishnevskaya's amazing voice when I listen and it is good to have the original on CD.
                            I first heard the War Requiem on the Decca LPs because they were available in my local lending library. I ended up with the Hickox, which, despite all the positive reviews in Gramophone et al, never quite did it for me.

On the other hand, the Davis/Vickers is an excellent Grimes that I find completely engaging and better than the Britten/Pears version on a number of levels (but not all).

Comment

• Beef Oven

DVD - BBC Recording, Peter Grimes, Decca. Peter Pears, Heather Harper, Charlie Drake, Elizabeth Bainbridge, Ann Robson, Owen Brannigan.

Comment

• Beef Oven

1) Sibelius Symphonies, Leif Segerstam, Danish National Symphony Orchestra, Brilliant Classics.

After listening to hours and hours of Celibidache and Reggie Goodall over Christmas and the New Year, I've developed a taste (or more properly, a transient obsession) for extremely expansive renditions (I currently have Bernstein's Enigma Variations on the 'turntable'. I already have Segerstam's Sibelius cycle with Helsinki Philharmonic on Ondine, so this will be an interesting comparison.

2) Britten, Serenade, Les Illuminations, Nocturne, Britten, Pears, Tuckwell, Decca.

I had the Decca, Pears Brain on vinyl, and when I was replacing my vinyl, I bought the John Mark Ainsley EMI CD. I always fancied this recording and at £7.76 on Amazon it seemed ok.
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-03-12, 16:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X