What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    Yes, I went overboard - but when I saw the added postage of over £8 I panicked. Probably a big mistake.
    I managed, by only going for what I really thought looked worth getting, to build up my order to just over £50, thus getting free 2nd Class p&p. The 3 items at more than £2.75 each helped, and they were still at the best price I could find.

Comment

• Beef Oven

New Age Earth by Ashra. 1976 Krautrock/Ambient.

Wagner - Parsifal DVD - Horst Stein, Siegfried Jerusalem, Bayreuth et al - Staged: Wolfgang Wagner

Puccini - La Boheme DVD, Gheorghiu et al, EMI

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

My Strauss songs finally arrived yesterday - I've listened to some - wonderful!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          HMV take forever - how come you don't use Amazon? I find they have a better stock, are cheaper and deliver much faster. Their 'Amazon Prime' can be had on a 30 day free trial (£49 per annum otherwise) and guarantees next day delivery.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            Glad you like it, Ms S has a lovely voice.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
              HMV take forever - how come you don't use Amazon? I find they have a better stock, are cheaper and deliver much faster. Their 'Amazon Prime' can be had on a 30 day free trial (£49 per annum otherwise) and guarantees next day delivery.
              The Strauss songs CDs were considerably cheaper (by about £4) from HMV, & delivery was free. I think sometimes anticipation adds to the pleasure . I've only bought from HMV twice, & the first time it took about 4 days, this time about a week. I've been without the CD for some time, so a few more days didn't make much difference.

I don't buy much from Amazon (or anywhere) (can't afford to), so pying £50 a year means that delivery for each item would cost about £8 - £10 pounds

Comment

• robk
                • Nov 2010

I find HMV mostly deliver in 3 days and they are sometimes cheaper than Amazon especially on more recent releases. On Amazon I use Super Saver Delivery which is free and I don't mind waiting a bit longer. Still waiting though for this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...00_i01_details

Comment

• Rumbaba

Just taken delivery of 'Dust Sucker' the original 'Bat Chain Puller album' from Captain Beefheart that has been held up since 1976 due to legal disputes between Frank Zappa and his Manager Herb Cohen. All the involved parties have been dead for a while, so I don't know why it took so long to release it. Got a small refund from Amazon because the price dropped between the pre order and delivery.

P.S. It hasn't been on pre-order since 1976

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Rumbaba View Post

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Just taken delivery of 'Dust Sucker' the original 'Bat Chain Puller album' from Captain Beefheart that has been held up since 1976 due to legal disputes between Frank Zappa and his Manager Herb Cohen. All the involved parties have been dead for a while, so I don't know why it took so long to release it. Got a small refund from Amazon because the price dropped between the pre order and delivery.

I would guess haggling by heirs.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Great stuff indeed

"We always thought Frank was weird, but Don was the real thing"

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          Great stuff indeed

"We always thought Frank was weird, but Don was the real thing"
                          let us know if its worth getting.......look forward to the review !!

(don't suppose it will get much of an airing on radio 1 ).
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

I looked into this album before and didn't fancy it because it appeared to be a bootleg taken from a cassette tape. Is this the real thing?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

I looked into this album before and didn't fancy it because it appeared to be a bootleg taken from a cassette tape. Is this the real thing?
                              If it's the Ozit issue, it looks very much to still be a compilation of 'bootleg' material:

Although every effort is made to convince consumers that Dust Sucker is the authorized release of Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band's "lost" version of Bat Chain Puller, it is not. Likewise, the remaining seven tracks can be traced from various spurious (read: bootleg) releases. The official story regards "master" tapes given to British concert promoter Roger Eagle by Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) in 1976 -- the premise being that Van Vliet had asked Eagle to "hold" the tapes of these mostly unfinished recordings in England. Well, if eager enthusiasts can buy into that, then presumably the poor fidelity that identifies these so-called "masters" would most likely be considered inconsequential. Eventually, 11 of the dozen tracks intended for Bat Chain Puller would be issued on subsequent Captain Beefheart releases. Dust Sucker also includes the spoken word piece "Seam Crooked Sam," which may have similar origins as "Sam with a Showing Scalp Flat-Top" -- which surfaced around the same time and can be heard on the Frank Zappa collaboration Bongo Fury. This version of the Magic Band rips and snorts its way through the title track, "Brickbats," and a definitive "Floppy Boot Stomp." The latter features one of Van Vliet's most inspired and frenetic vocals as it jumps between a spoken growl and his trademark gut-wrenching falsetto. Indeed, this is a very magic band, running with inspiration as its fuel. By the time the legit Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) was issued some three years later and after several multi-million dollar lawsuits were settled, the songs had become notably tempered. The bonus tracks were lifted from a variety of sources, most notably the New York Hot Dog Night CD -- conspicuous for its incorrect speed. The entire My Father's Place performance from November 18, 1978, was legitimately released on I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do. Likewise, a sonically superior version of these recordings is available on another unauthorized collection, titled Original Bat Chain Puller + Safe as Milk ^Mono Mix]. ^Ozit reissued the album again in 2005.] ¯ Lindsay Planer
                              [from http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...-1&sku=927798]

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

You can have a listen to 'Dust Sucker' on spotty if you do that kind of thing Beef Oven. I'd never heard of it till a short while back and it was good to hear but I headed back for 'Bat Chain Puller'.
                                Compilation · Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band · 2002 · 19 songs
                                Last edited by johncorrigan; 22-02-12, 20:53. Reason: Pulled a couple of 'postrophes!

Comment

Working...
                                X