What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... I resisted the Brautigam Mozart piano concertos when they came out on individual discs, hoping that they would eventually make it in to a box. They have - and I have succumbed - I hope it's winging its way here -

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Ordered, having briefly glanced through a friend's copy. It looks to be a very fine example of the genre. https://rickardsisters.com/

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        What do you plan to listen to first? I opted for CD 2 (mainly to hear the solo piano version of DeC).
        But I don't think this uses the discarded original ending that was only printed in the proofs of the piano score? –I mean the one with the Danse générale in 3/4 and a completely different last page (all this before R started to orchestrate it, when Durand also re-engraved the last few pages to reflect the changes)? For sheer fascination, that's the version somebody should record one day.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Having been swept away by her Goldberg Variations and her Ravel and Stravinsky disc - I bought Beatrice Rana’s Prokofiev2 and Tchaikovsky 1 with Pappano.

This arrived just before Christmas and I have only listened to the Tchaikovsky this evening. I think it is one of the best recordings of this piece I have ever heard - extraordinarily musical and I keep hearing all manner of detail that has previously passed me by .

Looking forward to the Prokofiev in the morning and now to the Pappano Bernstein symphonies set with Rana in the Age of Anxiety -arriving.

Comment

• Bert
            Banned
            • Apr 2020

Havergal Brian 2 & 14 RSNO, Brabbins.

Label: Dutton Epoch, SACD.

To add to my aged Marco Polo recording (of #2).

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Having been swept away by her Goldberg Variations and her Ravel and Stravinsky disc - I bought Beatrice Rana’s Prokofiev2 and Tchaikovsky 1 with Pappano.

This arrived just before Christmas and I have only listened to the Tchaikovsky this evening. I think it is one of the best recordings of this piece I have ever heard - extraordinarily musical and I keep hearing all manner of detail that has previously passed me by .

Looking forward to the Prokofiev in the morning and now to the Pappano Bernstein symphonies set with Rana in the Age of Anxiety -arriving.
              Hope you enjoy it; I know you're more of a fan of Rana than I am, so I'm pretty sure that you will.

I'm contemplating suggesting The age of anxiety as one of our 2021 Summer Building a Library threads.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                Banned
                • Oct 2020

Max Hastings: The Korean War

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

I am intrigued Pulci - What do you not like about Beatrice Rana’s playing ?!

I enjoyed her Prokofiev 2 even if not quite a match for my favourite recording with Freddy Kempf on BIS.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I am intrigued Pulci - What do you not like about Beatrice Rana’s playing ?!

I enjoyed her Prokofiev 2 even if not quite a match for my favourite recording with Freddy Kempf on BIS.
                    I just thought that her Goldbergs were not a version I'd want to return to: OK as a one-off listen (for example heard live at a recital) but no more. I don't really like the word, but I found them 'mannered' (too many individual touches and freedoms that didn't appeal) rather than 'straight'.
                    But then, I like Angela Hewitt's playing, which I know others find too cool and detached!

I thought that her Bernstein lacked real 'swing' where it mattered, too, sadly, but that might be a result of too much attraction to (and influence of) the first version I got to know, Entremont and the NYPO under Bernstein.
                    But I hope (and expect) that you'll like the set as a whole.
                    I see that I have six versions of The age of anxiety on my shelves, so I should probably make a confession/declaration on the 'Multiple recordings' thread.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Earlier today I received an email from amazon.it advising that this would be delivered tomorrow. However, just now, another email arrived, this time advising the set was "In consegna", so no galavanting around town for me today. Not that I would have been, anyway. As Max Boyce might almost have said, "oggi, oggi, oggi". (Coat off hook.)

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Score of Bernstein's Symphony 2 (The age of anxiety) just ordered from Presto.
                        They hope to despatch it by 6 January 2021: a nice Epiphany treat to myself.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

I didn't know I was waiting for it, but Lang Lang's studio version of the Goldbergs has just turned up, ordered as a communal present by my partner, after listening to a R4 (sic!) programme about the recording (possibly as he was trying to get to sleep the other night )

Here's the link:

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Score of Bernstein's Symphony 2 (The age of anxiety) just ordered from Presto.
                            They hope to despatch it by 6 January 2021: a nice Epiphany treat to myself.
                            Did you ever hear the Zimerman/Rattle in that one? Topped the Bernsteins, Thibaudet or the Rana for me...for sheer pleasure.....just gorgeous.
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 31-12-20, 18:07.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Did you ever hear the Zimmerman/Rattle in that one? Topped the Bernsteins, Thibaudet or the Rana for me...for sheer pleasure.....just gorgeous.

Yes, I have it!
                              Rattle is one of few conductors (imho) who can 'do' swing, and I was pleased (and pleasantly surprised!) that he got the BPO to swing along with him; I could envisage him more readily with the LSO in such repertoire.

PS: Zimerman (pianist) not Zimmermann (violinist), btw. I know you've been listening to the Martinu Violin concertos!

Comment

Working...
                              X