What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Just received same through post this morning - at £12 good value but €5.90 for postage from France they can’t be a lot of profit for the seller but l’m looking forward to listening CPO in Prokofiev should be good.
    I should have mentioned that I got mine via amazon.co.uk Prime (£7.48 with 'free' p&p). Looks like it has risen in price a little () in the interim. With so much going on, I have only listened to Symphonies 1 and 2, so far. Much impressed with the performance of the Second in particular. I'm a little disappointed that only the revised version of the Fourth is included.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I should have mentioned that I got mine via amazon.co.uk Prime (£7.48 with 'free' p&p). Looks like it has risen in price a little () in the interim. With so much going on, I have only listened to Symphonies 1 and 2, so far. Much impressed with the performance of the Second in particular. I'm a little disappointed that only the revised version of the Fourth is included.
      I wondered which 4th it would be and seeing it listed as 47/112 thought it might be a hybrid! Still a bargain at £3 perCD inc p&p!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I wondered which 4th it would be and seeing it listed as 47/112 thought it might be a hybrid! Still a bargain at £3 perCD inc p&p!
        And you do get the Scythian Suite thrown in.

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2007

I found out that the superb pianist Paul Wee (whose Alkan Concerto and Symphony recording on BIS I enjoyed so much earlier in the year) has recorded the complete Thalberg L'Art du chant on 2 Cds so I ordered that, along with the next Naxos Liszt instalment - the early version of the Harmonies Poetiques at Religieuses. Now waiting for the parcel!
          Best regards,
          Jonathan

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Waiting over. The Barry Cooper ABRSM edition of Beethoven's 35 Piano Sonatas was delivered a few minutes ago, two days ahead of earliest estimanted arrival date. The commentaries appear to be very informative. Each of the three volumes has an accompanying CD which I have yet to spin. Not cheap (£52. 07 including p&p) but as time goes by, my old Schirmer (Von Bülow/Lebert) two volume edition (16/- each) has become less and less reliable as a reflection if the composer's intensions. I doubt, however, that I will ever find the time to make a bar-by-bar comparison of the two editions.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Waiting over. The Barry Cooper ABRSM edition of Beethoven's 35 Piano Sonatas was delivered a few minutes ago, two days ahead of earliest estimanted arrival date. The commentaries appear to be very informative. Each of the three volumes has an accompanying CD which I have yet to spin. Not cheap (£52. 07 including p&p) but as time goes by, my old Schirmer (Von Bülow/Lebert) two volume edition (16/- each) has become less and less reliable as a reflection if the composer's intensions. I doubt, however, that I will ever find the time to make a bar-by-bar comparison of the two editions.
              Can you play them Bryn?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Can you play them Bryn?
                Absolutely not. For study/listening aids only. I also have the Lee Pocket score versions, but my eyesight is not really up to easily reading them these days.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Forward Motion From Bach to Bebop: A Corrective Approach to Jazz Phrasing by Hal Galper

This book just arrived. I already have loads of books on learning to play jazz, but from just glancing through it, I can tell I am not going to regret having purchased it. Also, it is much broader than its title suggests.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

I love H Von B ‘s commentary on the sonatas - an education in itself . Unfortunately my copy appears to have gone awol . At £ 15 per vol it is still a bargain though if I remember right the footnote format eats into the stave space.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                      I love H Von B ‘s commentary on the sonatas - an education in itself . Unfortunately my copy appears to have gone awol . At £ 15 per vol it is still a bargain though if I remember right the footnote format eats into the stave space.
                      Yes, I will not be dispensing with the Schirmer volumes. I should add that 16/- each was/is the price marked inside each volume. I actuially played rather more, £1 per volume in a charity shop. The commentary does indeed eat into the stave space, thus forming a running commentary, whereas that for the ABRSM edition are to be found at the back of each volume.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Prompted by it current abridged serialised reading on BBC Radio 4, Merlin Sheldrake's Entangled Life:

Comment

• Bert
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2020

Barbirolli M9 BPO EMI Japan HQCD

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Warner Complete Ravel arriving today!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Warner Complete Ravel arriving today!
                              What do you plan to listen to first? I opted for CD 2 (mainly to hear the solo piano version of DeC).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

What do you plan to listen to first? I opted for CD 2 (mainly to hear the solo piano version of DeC).
                                Hmm! I'll let you know.

It's arrived.

I quite like the packaging, rather than having a box with a lid/flap to open.
                                But I agree with your comments on the other thread about the lack of track information in the booklet: the bonus and historic recordings don't seem to be listed in the booklet at all.

PS: I decided to be boringly predictable, and start with CD1.
                                It won't take long to get to CD2.
                                Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-11-20, 13:57. Reason: PS added.

Comment

Working...
                                X