What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    That happened to me once, same message. I wasn’t able to get a satisfactory answer at the time, but later asked an Amazon employee who was a patient and that is their standard verbiage and policy when something is lost or broken
    Yes, and they’ve grown so big they can’t really be bothered with small customers and yet they are happy to clobber small seller merchants at the least error!

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

The new Allan Holdsworth album finally arrived today, along with the Chiascuros' op. 20 Haydn.

Happy days.

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Thomas Picker - Old and Lost Rivers etc.
        To which I've had this somewhat mysterious reply from Amazon:

'Dispatched from and sold by KAOZI168 Classical_ ''Dispatch within 1 day to the world '''

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

It's all about that Barbirolli 109 CD box set at the moment. Once that arrives, you may not hear from me for quite some time...

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

The Postie is bringing on Monday, or perhaps tomorrow! - the Takács Quartet recording of the late Beethoven Quartets; an order influenced by last week's LvB COTW programmes. I haven't givn them a proper listen in a long time, so looking forward to that. Also, unaccountably, I have no Dvorak Slavonic Dances, so the Czech Phil is in the same box.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

The Maltempo Scriabin sonatas is winging its way to me via Presto Classical. As from my avatar, you can tell I am rather fond of Scriabin, especially the late sonatas... I lost the Szidon recordings, they were stolen but eventually bought a second-hand copy - before that I'd bought as a temporary replacement Marc-Andre Hamelin's recording, though that didn't do it for me.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

I'm waiting for a hardback copy of Matthew Kneale's 'English Passengers', as I got eyestrain trying to read the small print In the paperback version.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I'm waiting for a hardback copy of Matthew Kneale's 'English Passengers', as I got eyestrain trying to read the small print In the paperback version.
                  Yes, well thats what happens when you try to fit a 448 pp Royal ( or similar) format HB into a 480 page B format PB.( 129x 198)

The industry is obsessed with B format PB editions. Funnily enough, we were warned off producing “ over - large extent’ PBs by a major chain, and guess what is all over their tables in the stores with little antarctic birds all over the spine ?
                  ........one rule for the rich.......
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 16-07-20, 18:30.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Boilk

You can't go wrong with the enigmatic late piano works of Scriabin! Don't forget the Op.71 Poèmes, or the Op.72 Vers la Flamme - orginally destined to be the 11th Sonata. Horovitz is one of my favourites here, but too many admirable recordings to mention.
                    Agreed - they're incredible. I must listen to opp. 71 & 72 - I am not familiar with them.

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Very excited at tomorrow’s delivery of Haitink farewell concert on DVD.
                      Assuming it was the Lucerne concert, I now realise that the recording features the Salzburg performance of the same programme a few days earlier.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Has anyone got the Mahler 8 book by Stephen Johnson? Looks interesting.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          I had it as a birthday present in June but haven't yet got round to reading it.

Just taken delivery a couple of hours ago of the VPO/Haitink Beethoven PC4/Bruckner 7 DVD from last August in Salzburg and playing it now. Poor documentation as is usual with DVDs (why?) but very fine performances as expected.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            Yes, and yes it is interesting. Definitely well worth getting.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Just arrived: The Ancerl Gold Edition
                              Stravinsky: Les noces, Cantata, Mass

A handsome CD plus 72-page booklet (with texts) in a slipcase.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                Just arrived: The Ancerl Gold Edition
                                Stravinsky: Les noces, Cantata, Mass

A handsome CD plus 72-page booklet (with texts) in a slipcase.
                                During the Tchaikovsky Experience, it was the Ancerl recording that was used to illustrate the final version of Les Noces. That is, indeed, a very fine package. I used to have that recording of the Cantata in its LP manifestation but had to wait for the Ancerl Gold CD for the Mass and Les Noces (17 April 2006, £6.30 incl. p&p).

Comment

Working...
                                X