What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I've just posted off an Lp of Igor Oistrakh playing the Brahms Violin Concerto conducted by his father on an Lp I bought from Lithuania. Hopefully, the transcription to CD will arrive this weekend.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I've just posted off an Lp of Igor Oistrakh playing the Brahms Violin Concerto conducted by his father on an Lp I bought from Lithuania. Hopefully, the transcription to CD will arrive this weekend.
      Who do you get to do this, and how much does it cost , PG ?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Who do you get to do this, and how much does it cost , PG ?
        I've used two chaps, teamsaint. One in Wales and the other in Yorkshire. Both are available from eBay. If you're interested, I'll pm you. It cost around £20 an Lp.

Years ago, I bought one of these cheapie turntables that one connects to a pc. I was never terribly impressed with the results but these guys have terrific equipment so the results are a fair representation of the vinyls themselves.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I've used two chaps, teamsaint. One in Wales and the other in Yorkshire. Both are available from eBay. If you're interested, I'll pm you. It cost around £20 an Lp.

Years ago, I bought one of these cheapie turntables that one connects to a pc. I was never terribly impressed with the results but these guys have terrific equipment so the results are a fair representation of the vinyls themselves.
          Thanks for that, PG. On reflection, since I still have a turntable rigged up, I’m not sure whether there is much I would want or need to transfer, but it is definitely worth bearing in mind. I copied a few old cassettes to CD, which went ok. actually, again on reflection, I probably have more rare/ hard to obtain stuff on cassette and also on 7” singles than on album.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Thanks for that, PG. On reflection, since I still have a turntable rigged up, I’m not sure whether there is much I would want or need to transfer, but it is definitely worth bearing in mind. I copied a few old cassettes to CD, which went ok. actually, again on reflection, I probably have more rare/ hard to obtain stuff on cassette and also on 7” singles than on album.
            I've always loved Igor Oistrakh's playing and it's been a source of real angst that the majority of his recordings have remained locked in Melodyia's archives. I've waited DECADES for his recordings to be released on cd but, alas, in vain. As I'm not getting any younger, I decided to do my own from vinyl obtained on eBay.

I've had a lot of fun doing this and have heard some terrific performances that have been locked away. I doubt I'd do it for any other artist although there are some recordings by the SNO that are on my list that I'll eventually, funds permitting, get around to.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

My order for:

is on its way from Presto Music.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                My order for:
                Tippett S3, S4, early symphony in B flat

(I don't know how to add the image; )

And the score of S3 arrived at Banks Music today too, though annoyingly I didn't find out till I was back from town, and I hadn't thought to pop in to check.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Last edited by Bryn; 28-02-19, 17:57. Reason: Image substitution.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

But the front of the Tippett release is MUCH nicer (even if it doesn't give the track details).

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

My order for:

Just been delivered. On the Blu-ray, you get 'bonus' of the 1972 recording of the 1st Symphony. Each iteration of the 1st wrongly bears the soubriquet "Titan".

[The distribution of the movements of the ten and a bit symphonies over the 12 CDs is not all that might have been hoped for. No. 3 is split after the 5th movement, rather than after Part 1. If instead of putting the final movement of the 3rd ahead of the 4th Symphony on disc 4, they had put the first movement of the 3rd after Das Klagende Lied, the musical thread would have been considerably less disrupted. Listening to the 1972 1st Symphony I hear at least one rather stark shift in ambient at an edit point. This was probably rather less obvious on vinyl than in these 96/24 transfers for Blu-ray. Good to have it, nevertheless.]
                      Last edited by Bryn; 02-03-19, 14:20. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

And the score of S3 arrived at Banks Music today too, though annoyingly I didn't find out till I was back from town, and I hadn't thought to pop in to check.
                        Collected the score yesterday, and the CDs (front and back!) have just popped through the door.
                        Definitely not just for 'background' listening: I'm sure I'll lose my way many times trying to follow the score.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

This looks good

Music of Possibility is an illuminating personal account of what, for composer Richard Barrett, are the most consequential areas of…

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Old hat. Seems like ages ago it was delivered. Must be over 60 hours ago. I wonder if the author has got his first copy yet?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just ordered from Presto - Rachel Podger plays the Bach Cello Suites. From the article, it sounds as if the fast movements benefit more than the sarabandes, and there's a bit of patching in no. 6 where she switches to viola for some low notes (so a studio-only job, that one, by the sounds of it), but it sounds (judging by the samples I listened to on the website) well worth a go. Ms Podger can do absolutely no wrong in my book

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                Just ordered from Presto - Rachel Podger plays the Bach Cello Suites. From the article, it sounds as if the fast movements benefit more than the sarabandes, and there's a bit of patching in no. 6 where she switches to viola for some low notes (so a studio-only job, that one, by the sounds of it), but it sounds (judging by the samples I listened to on the website) well worth a go. Ms Podger can do absolutely no wrong in my book
                                But does she use a 5 string violin piccolo for the final suite?

Comment

Working...
                                X