What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Blimey, this has been a quiet thread this year.
    I've been wondering which new recordings have had to be cancelled/postponed so far. Even back catalogue reissues have a variable release date right now. Hoping that the big Barbirolli box from Warner keeps to its scheduled release date of June 19.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I've been wondering which new recordings have had to be cancelled/postponed so far. Even back catalogue reissues have a variable release date right now. Hoping that the big Barbirolli box from Warner keeps to its scheduled release date of June 19.
      I can’t help on music Pet, but a flavour of what may be happening from the world of books. I’d say that most March and April releases probably went ahead, as they were already at the printers, or in transit. May and June schedules have been hard hit, with titles being moved either into the late summer or more likely early autumn .
      We have probably kept about 80% of our publishing for the year, because new releases are so important financially, and of course have in many cases incurred costs that have already been paid. The autumn is going to be incredibly busy, with effectively 2/3 months of extra titles crammed into the rest of the year, and of course, everybody will want to keep their strongest titles in this year, to mitigate the disasters of the spring.Publicity will be extra hard to get as well.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I can’t help on music Pet, but a flavour of what may be happening from the world of books. I’d say that most March and April releases probably went ahead, as they were already at the printers, or in transit. May and June schedules have been hard hit, with titles being moved either into the late summer or more likely early autumn .
        We have probably kept about 80% of our publishing for the year, because new releases are so important financially, and of course have in many cases incurred costs that have already been paid. The autumn is going to be incredibly busy, with effectively 2/3 months of extra titles crammed into the rest of the year, and of course, everybody will want to keep their strongest titles in this year, to mitigate the disasters of the spring.Publicity will be extra hard to get as well.
        I'd noticed this with books. I'm a fan of Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks books and one always comes out in, or around, June. It now has a publication date of March 18 2021.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

A good way of keeping track of New Releases is to check out a streaming service e.g. Qobuz...

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Hit Classical.....Mahlerfestkassel.... Steinberg/Pittsburgh/Beethoven....all there to browse and listen....

Things have slowed a little, but still coming..... as for books in the post, the Stephen Johnson Mahler 8 thing got here..... and its utterly wonderful!

D.N.M!
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-05-20, 00:45.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Currently waiting for Michael Kennedy's 'The Life of Elgar'. Having read 3 biographies of Britten, I decided it was time to move on!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I'll rise to that bait. CD-wise I am seriously reining in, only filling gaps. Waiting for the CD version of an LP I had years ago and remember enjoying. V cheap (£2) from a second hand Amazon seller. (Cheapest price now £16, I note). 15/16th Cent German pop music..

Just got Schumann piano duets. Very much a completer in my Schumann piano section. Recommendable and good-value new twofer on Brilliant.

Bookwise: As a compensation just ordered the catalogues for two exhibitions we were looking forward to but can't now see. (Might figure in wife's upcoming locked down birthday).

Young Rembrandt at Ashmolean - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aubrey Beardsley at Tate - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

Just by way of conversation, won't be of interest to most folks, just ordered a new 2 CD set of Nobody's Perfect by the Distractions, never previously relesed on CD I think. They had a good following and oodles of critical acclaim back in the late 70s /early 80s, for their classy pop punk music. I saw them in London in 1981 at the LSE at the height of what little fame they had, and very good they were too. Should have had more success.
                I'm guessing Edgeley Rob may know them, as they are a Manchester band. Any other takers ?

Definitely worth a listen if you like the Buzzcocks or Undertones. Something for the Weekend or Waiting for Lorraine are probably their best known songs.
                Oh yes I remember them ts but I haven’t listened to any of their music in years,will put that right soon
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2007

Vieutemps cello concerti on Hyperion
                  Best regards,
                  Jonathan

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

The Haydn Chiascuro op. 20 disk which was recommended to me hereabouts...

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I put an order in for a couple of Sony boxed sets with Amazon due to arrive this weekend and under tracking information received this message 'Undeliverable - Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 5 - 7 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.'
                      Fine but if I reorder it will cost more, but even more annoying is that whereas feedback and complaints for orders to merchants are closely scrutinised, direct orders to Amazon are above all this. if they couldn@t deliver because of a problem with their delivery network, what was wrong with just saying this will be resent rather than cancelling. I'll stick with merchants, Presto and Europadisc in future - they use Royal Mail which is much more reliable down here!

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I put an order in for a couple of Sony boxed sets with Amazon due to arrive this weekend and under tracking information received this message 'Undeliverable - Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 5 - 7 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.'
                        Fine but if I reorder it will cost more, but even more annoying is that whereas feedback and complaints for orders to merchants are closely scrutinised, direct orders to Amazon are above all this. if they couldn@t deliver because of a problem with their delivery network, what was wrong with just saying this will be resent rather than cancelling. I'll stick with merchants, Presto and Europadisc in future - they use Royal Mail which is much more reliable down here!
                        That's a very strange message to get. I've never received one like that from Amazon and whatever the circumstances I'd agree that a replacement would have been the obvious option. Can't you email them back and say so? Just speculating that the original parcel was accidentally destroyed or heavily damaged in some way but even if that was the case a replacement could still have been sent.

There is an Amazon depot about 15 miles away from here so their deliveries to this address are vastly preferred to the Royal Mail. Sadly, Presto really can't compete with Amazon's prices, except rarely, and much as I'd prefer to support Presto it's invariably Amazon who get my vote.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

That's a very strange message to get. I've never received one like that from Amazon and whatever the circumstances I'd agree that a replacement would have been the obvious option. Can't you email them back and say so? Just speculating that the original parcel was accidentally destroyed or heavily damaged in some way but even if that was the case a replacement could still have been sent.

There is an Amazon depot about 15 miles away from here so their deliveries to this address are vastly preferred to the Royal Mail. Sadly, Presto really can't compete with Amazon's prices, except rarely, and much as I'd prefer to support Presto it's invariably Amazon who get my vote.
                          Clearly they don’t like emails - finding one for customer services in their maze-like website is impossible!

Comment

• LezLee
                            • Apr 2019

I might have misunderstood but it sounds like they haven't got a replacement which is why they're issuing a refund?

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              That happened to me once, same message. I wasn’t able to get a satisfactory answer at the time, but later asked an Amazon employee who was a patient and that is their standard verbiage and policy when something is lost or broken

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                                I might have misunderstood but it sounds like they haven't got a replacement which is why they're issuing a refund?
                                But it claims both items to be still available with slightly increased prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X