What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Oh, and the price at the time I placed the order was £25.57. With Amazon's price guarantee I will end up paying but £15.40.
    Good for you. When I got the original EMI box as a birthday present I'm pretty sure it cost around £60.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Just noticed on the PRESTO website that the new recording of Beethoven's Violin Concerto played by James Ehnes with the RLPO under Andrew Manze has been announced as an October release. Really looking forward to hearing it.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Just noticed on the PRESTO website that the new recording of Beethoven's Violin Concerto played by James Ehnes with the RLPO under Andrew Manze has been announced as an October release. Really looking forward to hearing it.
        Wow, that should be good. thanks Pasters.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

I've been listening to The Heath Quartet in the Bartók string quartets over the last few weeks (and quite a lot on holiday during June and July), my go-to set these days.

I figured I'd move on to the Végh Quartet's recordings, so I duly ordered the set pictured.

It's to late too anything about it now as it's ordered on Amazon Prime, but could someone (Bryn, JLW et al) confirm whether this I the correct set to have bought? - I believe there are a few different releases.

Many thanks

P.S. I hope everyone is enjoying the glorious weather!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I've been listening to The Heath Quartet in the Bartók string quartets over the last few weeks (and quite a lot on holiday during June and July), my go-to set these days.

I figured I'd move on to the Végh Quartet's recordings, so I duly ordered the set pictured.

It's to late too anything about it now as it's ordered on Amazon Prime, but could someone (Bryn, JLW et al) confirm whether this I the correct set to have bought? - I believe there are a few different releases.

Many thanks

P.S. I hope everyone is enjoying the glorious weather!

That's the one. In response to my email, Praga Digitals insist the transfers are based on stereo taping done in parallel with the released mono recording. These claimed stereo tapes were asserted to have been made for a potential US Angel release which never emerged. Whatever their provenance, they sound much better than the alternative (mono) transfers on Scribendum et al.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              That's the one. In response to my email, Praga Digitals insist the transfers are based on stereo taping done in parallel with the released mono recording. These claimed stereo tapes were asserted to have been made for a potential US Angel release which never emerged. Whatever their provenance, they sound much better than the alternative (mono) transfers on Scribendum et al.
              Many thanks for confirming this Bryn, I'm very excited in anticipation of their arrival.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

Well, according to A****on, I'm a mere sleep away from receipt of the DG Strauss box (see posts passim). More importantly, after several firm communications with A****on, this is to cost me the bargain price at which we all jumped on it what seems like, oh and in fact is, several months ago. Assuming it arrives (and I've delayed posting until receiving their confirmation of posting), I heartily exhort all those who bought it at the bargain price but were then fobbed off to ask A to sell it to them accordingly.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Just ordered a used copy of the 3CD set of Bernstein's Mass and Dybbuk for just under £5 (inc p+p), as only the Dybbuk suites are included in the DG set I have. I have the Alsop recording of Mass, and will be interested to hear Bernstein's own recording again, though it's not a piece I warm to.

Comment

• Zucchini
                    • Nov 2010

New release - Anna Vinnitskaya/Rachmaninov PC2 & Pag. A wonderful pianist & musician. She's rarely in the UK so I haven't heard her for 3 yrs. Pity it's Rachmaninov but I suppose he sells well (as do her looks).
                    Last edited by Zucchini; 30-08-17, 19:29.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                      Well, according to A****on, I'm a mere sleep away from receipt of the DG Strauss box (see posts passim). More importantly, after several firm communications with A****on, this is to cost me the bargain price at which we all jumped on it what seems like, oh and in fact is, several months ago. Assuming it arrives (and I've delayed posting until receiving their confirmation of posting), I heartily exhort all those who bought it at the bargain price but were then fobbed off to ask A to sell it to them accordingly.
                      I thought about pushing Amazon on this, but decided not to. The price was clearly a mistake and we all understandably jumped on it. Everyone makes mistakes, including Amazon. I took the view that if we get away with it, then fine. If not, then so be it.

Down the years, Amazon have provided me with unremitting, excellent service. I'm a very happy customer and I can move on from Straussgate!

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Joshua Bell - The Classical Collection Box set
                        Tchaikovsky: The Seasons - Pavel Kolesnikov
                        Chopin:Mazurkas - Pavel Kolesnikov
                        In Memoriam John Ogdon - Organ and Piano Recital Kevin Bowyer, John Ogdon
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Waiting for Marketplace copies of:

Prokofiev - War & Peace (the least of SP's opera, imo) - Rostropovich.

Wagner - Lohengrin VPO/Abbado

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

I've just found a photo on Pinterest of a DG recording of Schubert's immortal 'Trout' Quintet played by Anne-Sophie Mutter, Daniil Trifonov, Hwayoon Lee, Maximilian Hornung and Roman Patkoló. Looks like a very starry line up although, obviously, that doesn't automatically mean great music making. Still, I'd really like to hear it.

Looks like a November release.

Comment

• muzzer
                              • Nov 2013

Likewise I've had great service but I think they should be held to the perils of their algorithm. It's arrived and is sounding great btw

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                                Likewise I've had great service but I think they should be held to the perils of their algorithm. It's arrived and is sounding great btw
                                Sorry but what's arrived? Am keen to hear about your enthusiastic purchase!

Comment

Working...
                                X