What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Just received a dispatch notification email.
    Last edited by Bryn; 14-10-16, 15:53. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Just received a dispatch notification email.
      Wow! Waiting no longer. It's just been delivered, five days before the earliest date in the estimated range. That's this evening sorted. Just have to make sure I start it early enough to be able to catch the Finnissy celebration in Hear and Now.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

The arrival of Alan Bennett's hefty tome, Keeping On Keeping On; the perfect antidote to seasonal affective disorder as we head for a few months of prolonged darkness
        on Oct 30. R4 listeners can hear him reading extracts on Book of the Week, 09.45 hrs,FM, each day from Oct 24 with repeats at 12.30 hrs after the midnight news.

Always a joy to return to his previous publications, Writing Home and Untold Stories to share his wit and wisdom with the efficacy of an occasional sting!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Uncle Bernie's Christmas Concert Mahler Symphonies 1 - 5, 7 & 9 from the Concertgebouw: the existence of this recently reissued box - and the fact that I failed to buy it recently in Hong Kong - has been nagging away at me. Tower Records Japan infamously doesn't do international shipping but I've discovered that others will acquire items for you then ship them internationally (it cost me £2.50 for the service). It seems impossible that it can be that easy so I'll believe it when I see it but maybe an early Christmas present to myself?

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

You will be well rewarded with that set, HG.

By the way, does HMV Japan still exist?

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              You will be well rewarded with that set, HG.
              Fully seconded. I have both CD and DVD sets and the performances are amongst the finest Mahler you will hear. A Desert Island set for me.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Edmund Rubbra - String Quartets 1-4. Dante Quartet

I so wanted to get the Magginis on Naxos as they deserve support for ‘services to neglected British Chamber Music’, but in the end I couldn’t resist this Dutton 2 CD set.

My set arrived today, along with some Grilled Haydn and Sibelius quartets, and the Ireland Piano Concerto as recorded by Eileen Joyce (coupled with Moeran's Symphony in G minor).

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

This arrived this afternoon.

P.S. Bryn, what are Grilled quartets?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

P.S. Bryn, what are Grilled quartets?
                    Those played by the Grillers.

e.g.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      Uncle Bernie's Christmas Concert Mahler Symphonies 1 - 5, 7 & 9 from the Concertgebouw: the existence of this recently reissued box - and the fact that I failed to buy it recently in Hong Kong - has been nagging away at me. Tower Records Japan infamously doesn't do international shipping but I've discovered that others will acquire items for you then ship them internationally (it cost me £2.50 for the service). It seems impossible that it can be that easy so I'll believe it when I see it but maybe an early Christmas present to myself?
                      Despatched from Japan on Monday, arrived today (and, using standard Japan Post Airmail, no bother with les douanes). Very impressed with the service (buyee.jp). Not a huge bargain but, given the prices quoted for used copies of the CD set, £55 for 9 CDs (Japanese pressings; usual Tower Japan inner sleeves in a soft, scratch-free material) of performances I am much looking forward to hearing seems OK to me. I now have a spare single disc Universal Japan pressing of the 5th from the set so, if anyone would like it, gratis, PM me. And, as to Alison's question in her post, HMV Japan does very much still exist but doesn't sell Tower Records Vintage Collection sets - at least I don't think that it does.
                      Last edited by HighlandDougie; 28-10-16, 12:16.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Despatched from Japan on Monday, arrived today (and, using standard Japan Post Airmail, no bother with les douanes). Very impressed with the service (buyee.jp). Not a huge bargain but, given the prices quoted for used copies of the CD set, £55 for 9 CDs (Japanese pressings; usual Tower Japan inner sleeves in a soft, scratch-free material) of performances I am much looking forward to hearing seems OK to me. I now have a spare single disc Universal Japan pressing of the 5th from the set so, if anyone would like it, gratis, PM me.
                        That sounds like a good bargain. Shame you already had #5, though.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Found it for less than €16 in amazon.it but then discovered the marketplace trader concerned would only send within Italy. I then looked on amazon.fr and found the very same supplier was offering it there for closer to €20 but there was no problem with it being sent to the U.K. With p&p it came to a little under £21 (new, replete with libretto). FLACs are available from Presto Classical for under £16 but comes without libretto.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 05-11-16, 22:21. Reason: typo

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Highly recommended

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Found it for less than €16 in amazon.it but then discovered the marketplace trader concerned would only send within Italy. I then looked on amazon.fr and found the very same supplier was offering it there for closer to €20 but there was no problem with it being sent to the U.K. With p&p it came to a little under £21 (new, replete with libretto). FLACs are available from Presto Classical for under £16 but comes without libretto.
                              I used to have this version on tape, and listening to BaL on iPlayer just now made me realise that I needed it on CD to supplement the Sony Stravinsky recordings from the big box.

Having friends in Rome, I contemplated asking them to buy it for me and send over.
                              I also found used copies for less than $2.50 on Amazon.com, and wondered about asking friends in the US to do similarly.

But I then decided to splash out and get a new copy via Amazon.co.uk; it's still less than I'd spend going to see it!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Peter Racine Fricker. The Vision of Judgement; Symphony No.5 for organ and orchestra, Op.74.
                                Various artists. On the Lyrita Label.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X