What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

I'm off to buy the two (at the last count) Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde that I havent read - one's called One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing, not sure about the other one. The adventures of Ms Next, the literary detective who has the power to enter the plots of books, thanks to a "prose portal" invented by her uncle Mycroft, are very entertaining.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
      The biggest box set I have ever bought: all of Bach's sacred cantatas directed by Masaaki Suzuki on 55 CDs, a wonderful compendium which I expect to give me unbounded pleasure for the rest of my life.
      I have a couple of CDs from that set. The full Monty must be awesome.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I don’t think you’re taking this seriously.
        Not at all. I've just put the Szell/Cleveland Orchestra disc on.

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
          I'm off to buy the two (at the last count) Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde that I havent read - one's called One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing, not sure about the other one. The adventures of Ms Next, the literary detective who has the power to enter the plots of books, thanks to a "prose portal" invented by her uncle Mycroft, are very entertaining.
          Good choice, all his books are very funny and clever! I especially like the nursery rhyme detective ones "The fourth bear" and "The big over easy"
          Best regards,
          Jonathan

Comment

• umslopogaas
            • Nov 2010

I'll give them a go, I expect Waterstones will have them.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              I don’t think you’re taking this seriously.
              This cd demands to be taken seriously. Many thanks for highlighting it, Beefy.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                This cd demands to be taken seriously. Many thanks for highlighting it, Beefy.

Special, isn’t it?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

I bought symphonies 4, 7 & 8 in 2008 and really liked them. I intended to get more Jones symphonies, but didn’t get around to it until now. Better late than never.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Been eyeing this up for a while now. Got into Bacewicz a couple of years ago (Piano Quintets 1&2, piano sonata 2, DG) and was thinking of getting the Naxos set, but I found this cover irresistible!!!

Last edited by Beef Oven!; 07-08-16, 23:53.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

I gave this Bacewicz (c'mon, google pronunciation now...) to myself as a birthday present....August Gramophone ​Recording of the Month..(rated up there with Bartok, DSCH, Tippett etc) very stimulating listening if - hand on heart, I haven't yet fallen in love, but - when I tried to take out CD2 for the first time it broke in two! Never before etc.
                      Got a replacement but the momentum was lost.... life & Proms got in the way.... but the lovely cover -"Warsaw 1960" it says, ​unattrib... appeal in booklet note for copyright holder if known etc.

So buy it for the art, then back to the start!
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-08-16, 02:33.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Alicia Weilerstein's new recording of the 2 DSCH 'cello concertos which is due out in September.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

For years I've been searching in vain for a copy of this long-since deleted CD:

... well, by chance I noticed a second-hand copy on sale via Amazon marketplace - it's cost me more than I've ever paid for a single CD before, but still only around the price of a meal in a decent restaurant, so FINALLY, it's on it's way to me!

NOW all that's needed is for the equally long-awaited, oft-promised but never materialising, CD transfer of this LP and my collection will be complete. Until next month.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            For years I've been searching in vain for a copy of this long-since deleted CD:

... well, by chance I noticed a second-hand copy on sale via Amazon marketplace - it's cost me more than I've ever paid for a single CD before, but still only around the price of a meal in a decent restaurant, so FINALLY, it's on it's way to me!

NOW all that's needed is for the equally long-awaited, oft-promised but never materialising, CD transfer of this LP and my collection will be complete. Until next month.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                              Isn't it great when something like this happens! And I've just been told that it's on its way to me from Austria.

(Of course - I'll have had it for a week when it'll get reissued by NMC for a fiver, or something!)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Still waiting for a report on the new recording of Threni, ferney.
                                Or has that purchase been bumped (again) into next month?

Comment

Working...
                                X