What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Both the CD on the boxed set we now have, and the 2015 Warner single disc issue give the total time as 79' 24". Where does the 80' + claim come from?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

So not what we got in our French Warner boxes.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

So not what we got in our French Warner boxes.
        It shows a different timing on the Warner set.

I thought you'd gone for the Warner.

I'd read somewhere that the EMI France transfers were better (how true that is I don't know). How come you went for the French EMI?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          ... How come you went for the French EMI?
          Price, and the claim on the box that the digital re-mastering was © 2011. I will have a look to check the timings of the various versions on offer from QOBUZ.

HMM. No luck there. They only go up to the 2000 re mastering.
          Last edited by Bryn; 02-03-16, 12:22.

Comment

• umslopogaas
            • Nov 2010

My local hi-fi shop has ordered the 114 CD Decca Brendel set for me for £200, to be released next week. That includes their mark up, if I could be bothered to source it myself it would be even cheaper. That's under two pounds a disc, which is phenomenally cheap, when you consider that a full price new CD can be twenty five quid.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Price, and the claim on the box that the digital re-mastering was © 2011. I will have a look to check the timings of the various versions on offer from QOBUZ.
              Yes the price was good - I paid £7.87 all inclusive, brand new and shrink-wrapped.

The box doesn't claim a 2011 remastering. It states that the discs are remastered in 24 BIT, but only gives an EMI copyright date of 2011.

I must say that what I've listened to so far, sounds very good indeed and an improvement on my previous EMI recording of #2 (I've listened to 7 twice, plus 2 & 4).

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Very happy to see the complete Conifer Malcolm Arnold recordings coming back at the same time as the Previn RVW set:

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                  Very happy to see the complete Conifer Malcolm Arnold recordings coming back at the same time as the Previn RVW set:
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Malcolm-...ds=arnold+sony
                  Yes I got all excited about that and then realised it's the same as the Decca reissues... http://www.musicweb-international.co...es_4765337.htm
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Yes I got all excited about that and then realised it's the same as the Decca reissues... http://www.musicweb-international.co...es_4765337.htm
                    Yes, when I read of the new box's release I quickly checked my Decca boxes and was reminded that most of the recordings were the property of Sony/BMG at the time of the Decca boxes' release.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Yes the price was good - I paid £7.87 all inclusive, brand new and shrink-wrapped.

The box doesn't claim a 2011 remastering. It states that the discs are remastered in 24 BIT, but only gives an EMI copyright date of 2011.

I must say that what I've listened to so far, sounds very good indeed and an improvement on my previous EMI recording of #2 (I've listened to 7 twice, plus 2 & 4).
                      As a 'make do' I have ripped the first disc from the EMI box and used Sound Forge Pro to stretch it to 80'15", 'over-burned' it to CD-R and added that to the box.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

As a 'make do' I have ripped the first disc from the EMI box and used Sound Forge Pro to stretch it to 80'15", 'over-burned' it to CD-R and added that to the box.
                        OMG

I bet the difference is imperceptible!

Comment

• makropulos
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Good point - but one of the reasons I am still excited is that one of the Decca boxes (the one with all the symphonies) went astray in our last house move four years ago, so I'm delighted to be able to get everything again, especially at such a reasonable price.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                            My local hi-fi shop has ordered the 114 CD Decca Brendel set for me for £200, to be released next week. That includes their mark up, if I could be bothered to source it myself it would be even cheaper. That's under two pounds a disc, which is phenomenally cheap, when you consider that a full price new CD can be twenty five quid.
                            I am very tempted by this set at around £150. Some interesting reviews on Amazon (and one absolutely stupid one).

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              I am very tempted by this set at around £150. Some interesting reviews on Amazon (and one absolutely stupid one).
                              ... I see one of the reviewers is called 'Vinteuil'. Just to say - it's not me

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

I did wonder!!

Comment

Working...
                                X