What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

What CD, book, DVD etc are you waiting for?

Just ordered off Amazon:

CDs

Britten War Requiem, Britten, Pears et al Decca. Always fancied this recording and at £6.49 (new) it is a real bargain .

Bruckner Symphonies - Barenboim BPO. Don't normally go for complete Bruckner sets but at £12.98 (new) it was a steal. Will stop borrowing my friend's set!

Bruckner Symphonies - Jochum Staatskapelle Dresden, EMI. Had the DG set on cassette in the 1980s, but never this one. At £15 (new) you can't refuse!

Sibelius Symphonies - Barbirolli's 1960s cycle with the Halle. I tend to buy one additional Sibelius cycle every year!

Book

Why is Britain Becoming Harder to Govern? By my old politics teacher, Professor Anthony King, written in 1975.

DVD

Tristan und Isolde - Barenboim.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-12, 00:13. Reason: got me Britten mixed up with me Britain!
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

nothing, but thought i should mention that there is nothing decent in the charity shops at present. Are they putting it all on ebay or something?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      Bruckner Symphonies - Jochum Staatskapelle Dresden, EMI. Had the DG set on cassette in the 1980s, but never this one.
      The 2 6MC-sets from DGG's Symphony-Edition?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        Why is Britten Becoming Harder to Govern? .
        Because he's had too much Broadside at the Cross Keys ?

Comment

• robk
          • Nov 2010

EMI Classics - Shostakovich: Symphony No.1 / Piano Concerto No .2 / Violin Concerto No.1 / Cello Concerto No.1
          Sarah Chang, Han-Na Chang John Ogdon; £4.43

Berlioz: Les nuits d'été / Harold en Italie - Marc Minkowski; £8.36

both from Amazon Market Place. I was especially after the John Ogdon Shostakovich 2

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I'm contemplating vol 2 of Hyperion's complete Strauss Lieder - it's got the Ophelia songs on it. I've bought the latest - vol 5 - & very much enjoy it, & I heard the Ophelia songs at one of the BBC Scottish SO's post-concert Coda recitals & like them. The CDs are available on the HMV website at rather less than Amazon are selling them at.

I've also recently bought the Stemme/Doming/ Pappano Tristan und Isolde, but not listened to it yet.

Non-musical - I've also just bought the DVD of Sophia Coppola's film about Anselm Kiefer - Over your cities the grass will grow. I saw it last year when it was on cinema release, & was so bowled over (indeed, blown away) by it that I would have been more than happy to sit through it again immediately.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Just taken delivery of the re-mastered set of the Shostakovich symphonies from Kondrashin and the Moscow PO.

So far this year I've had 15 CD's and 1 DVD and I had better watch out my bank manager doesn't tell me he's now banking with me!

Time to take it easy now, I think. This thread could be another very expensive one!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  Hilarious! Well spotted GongGong! You can't get away with anything on here!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    The 2 6MC-sets from DGG's Symphony-Edition?
                    I honestly can't remember - it was quite a while ago now!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Just taken delivery of the re-mastered set of the Shostakovich symphonies from Kondrashin and the Moscow PO.

So far this year I've had 15 CD's and 1 DVD and I had better watch out my bank manager doesn't tell me he's now banking with me!

Time to take it easy now, I think. This thread could be another very expensive one!
                      15 cds this year? that's about 1 every 2.5 days!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

You did well - the Ogden DS piano concerto 2 is going for £32 - £62 on Amazon.
                        Originally posted by robk View Post
                        EMI Classics - Shostakovich: Symphony No.1 / Piano Concerto No .2 / Violin Concerto No.1 / Cello Concerto No.1
                        Sarah Chang, Han-Na Chang John Ogdon; £4.43

Berlioz: Les nuits d'été / Harold en Italie - Marc Minkowski; £8.36

both from Amazon Market Place. I was especially after the John Ogdon Shostakovich 2

Comment

• Beef Oven

Jericho always made me feel very uncomfortable! couldn't possibly walk by it!
                          Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          I'm contemplating vol 2 of Hyperion's complete Strauss Lieder - it's got the Ophelia songs on it. I've bought the latest - vol 5 - & very much enjoy it, & I heard the Ophelia songs at one of the BBC Scottish SO's post-concert Coda recitals & like them. The CDs are available on the HMV website at rather less than Amazon are selling them at.

I've also recently bought the Stemme/Doming/ Pappano Tristan und Isolde, but not listened to it yet.

Non-musical - I've also just bought the DVD of Sophia Coppola's film about Anselm Kiefer - Over your cities the grass will grow. I saw it last year when it was on cinema release, & was so bowled over (indeed, blown away) by it that I would have been more than happy to sit through it again immediately.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            nothing, but thought i should mention that there is nothing decent in the charity shops at present. Are they putting it all on ebay or something?
                            Not true! Cloughie got a shrink-wrapped Barbirolli Bruckner 7 BBC Legends in a charity shop for £1!! He's selling it to me for £1.75.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

75% mark-up? I think you've been done!

Comment

Working...
                              X