X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Err.... that's enough rugby for today (Ed.)

...parce qu'il fait froid
    from the BBC site: -

"The temperature at kickoff, 2000 GMT, was minus-5 Celsius, with a wind chill of minus-11.
    Huge jeers rang out at the sold-out Stade France as the players failed to take to the field, with a marching band in the middle ready to play the national anthems.
    The stadium announcer was drowned out by the booing when he informed the crowd the match referee called off the game because the icy field was too dangerous to play on.
    France captain Thierry Dusuatoir then took the microphone to address the fans.
    "Thanks to everyone for coming to encourage us tonight, unfortunately the game has been called off," Dusautoir said. "I hope you will all come and support us next time. The decision has been taken, and now we will prepare for the next time."
    Both teams went out onto the filed to applaud the crowd, which did little to soften the blow.
    It is the first time since 1985 that a Six Nations match has been called off because of adverse weather conditions."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

It's actually the first time ever that a Six Nations match has been called off, as the first Six Nations Championship took place in 2000.

Comment

• Anna

According to the BBC, earlier today, the reason why the Stadium had not been built with under-pitch heating is that it was built in 1995 on the site of an old gasworks and there were fears that heating could, possibly, result in an explosion ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Wales played well for their win ... Scotland have two big problems ... they have no luck at all and appear totally jinxed .... and i suspect Andy Robinson is not right for them ....

Wales England will be interesting as they say ... Wales are favourites?
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I have no wish to get into technicalities about the two tackles. In my view Davies deserved a red card and lengthy ban. I really cannot believe how stupid he could have been (to be honest, he is not the sharpest knife in the box) As Gatland said, some things you get away with on Club level, at International Level you cannot.
            Surely that must be the nub of the problem?

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

That was an excellent game. I thought Scotland outplayed Wales in the first half, and perhaps for most of the last 20 minutes but lost it because of the yellow cards and the stupid error at the start of the second half. They have some very good players and with a bit of luck could have won - Hogg's 'try' should have been given. With a different coach who can get them playing with confidence they ought to beat a few teams.

Some lovely running by the Welsh backs again, especially Priestland's break from his own line near the end.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Some truly appalling refereeing, just not up to international class.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                  That was an excellent game.
                  Some lovely running by the Welsh backs again, especially Priestland's break from his own line near the end.
                  An odd game, Wales, first half, seemed half asleep. Second half, around 60 mins in, definitely a Scottish try, not a knock-on.
                  I am profoundly partisan when it comes to Wales but I really want Scotland and Italy to put some points on the board!

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Simply do not know why the Ref / TJ did not refer the 'non-try to the video ref. IMO would have changed the course of the game, besides the inexplicable remaining of Davies on the pitch.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Simply do not know why the Ref / TJ did not refer the 'non-try to the video ref. IMO would have changed the course of the game, besides the inexplicable remaining of Davies on the pitch.
                      Davies, the Welsh one, or Davies the Scottish one? Do you mean 59 min: Cuthbert chases down the kick off, putting Scotland under immense pressure in their own half. They manage to clear after a ruck but Wales take the throw in quickly and run it back at them. They would be in for a score too, but Jonathan Davies passes slightly behind Cuthbert who would have been through had he not been forced to check his run in order to catch the ball. Scotland's forwards are working their socks off in defence, however playing with 14 men is proving a tough ask.

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

besides the inexplicable remaining of Davies on the pitch.
                        ? I thought Davies was the victim of the tackle for which de Luca got sinbinned.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          ? I thought Davies was the victim of the tackle for which de Luca got sinbinned.
                          Yes, Oh, I am reading this back to front! Well, Scotland got two yellows, lack of discipline. I still want Scotland to win (pref not against Wales of course!) Is not Leigh Halfpenny drop dead gorgeous? My Man of the Match!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Big praise for Adam Jones . Yet again putting in a good shift....he has been there for [what?] 10 years through thick and thin....

....Welsh a bit naughty around the loose-scrums I thought....should have penalised a lot more for a variety of ploys.... their power and weight [of three-quarters] saw them through....you could tell the difference this made [weight and power] by the way Rory Lamont also made distance....Hogg the exception to this rule....
                            Last edited by eighthobstruction; 12-02-12, 20:38.
                            bong ching

Comment

• Anna

The cancelled France v Ireland is now on for March 4th at 15:00 GMT. Thank goodness. The French Rugby Federation wanted it postponed until June!

I meant to have said before this Six Nations began about Owen Sheers. No doubt everyone has seen his programmes about poets and their poetry on BBC but he is the Artist in Residence for the Welsh Rugby Union (grant from the Welsh Arts Council) for the next year. His first piece appeared in the Western Mail last Saturday. However, I cannot find an artist in residence for the other Home Nations! Well, rugby is poetry in motion is it not?

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

A lovely day for the big game at Twickenham. I have a foreboding that England will sneak a win because of their powerful defence and stronger forwards - they might win it by the odd penalty. I'm still hoping that a strong North wind will be blowing....

Comment

Working...
                                X