X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

well the French have been rather poor this Six; in fact all of them have been except for Wales .... .. a Grand Slam and they can do no more but the opposition has been poor all round this year ...

i liked Joubert today ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Tidy result!

Not pretty, pretty brutal but ...... Trinh-Duc deliberately throwing the ball away? I think the French wanted to spoil the party!

Yes, WTF!? (as the yoof say)!

Congrats to the leek-munchers! French 2012 vintage un peu décevant...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Congrats to the leek-munchers! French 2012 vintage un peu décevant...
        The French wanted the roof open as they guessed the greasy conditons would be to their advantage. Otherwise it could have been played in perfect conditions and Wales would have won 36 to 5!

What care I? It's now over, we have won. I am Welsh and so proud and loud. And did you see the English press this morning, OH, England will steal Grand Slam, etc., if they beat Ireland by over 20 points! <doubtfull emoticon with quizzical mouth and they will be lucky emoticon) I feel sorry for Scotland, something has to be done about them but Hurray! for Italy, they really deserved a win at last! They have got better and better over the years.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

if they beat Ireland by over 20 points! <doubtfull emoticon with quizzical mouth and they will be lucky emoticon
          ahem 30-9 and it was not luck it was the forwards ........ Mr Lancaster has wrought a marvel
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

We used to live next door to Geoff Parling - when they were both 3 I thought my daughter was the better footballer............

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              ahem 30-9 and it was not luck it was the forwards ........ Mr Lancaster has wrought a marvel
              Indeed he has, and should be offical coach, not some highflyer megabucks! Well done England, a team reborn. And about time too.

Comment

• anotherbob
                • Sep 2011

I'm just grateful they gave the wooden spoon match to that exhibitionist Rolland. He might have ruined one of the other games.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Congratulations to Wales.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    Congratulations to Wales.
                    How do they compare? Ten minutes of (quoting one commentator) 'Oh, this is sooo exciting!' rygbi. It's a bit like too much chocolate cake in the end !
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      How do they compare? Ten minutes of (quoting one commentator) 'Oh, this is sooo exciting!' rygbi. It's a bit like too much chocolate cake in the end !
                      I can only say, looking at old footage, this young Welsh team do not weave the magic, yet ... of the golden age of Welsh rugby.

However, I am so impressed with the newly reborn English team and how they have turned their fortunes around since their dismal World Cup. Nick Mallet has now virtually said give the job to Stuart Lancaster. But, Ireland, I didn't see all the match, why did they crumple?

Comment

• amateur51

I can only say, looking at old footage, this young Welsh team do not weave the magic, yet ... of the golden age of Welsh rugby.

However, I am so impressed with the newly reborn English team and how they have turned their fortunes around since their dismal World Cup. Nick Mallet has now virtually said give the job to Stuart Lancaster. But, Ireland, I didn't see all the match, why did they crumple?
                        Two different eras, frenchie. The rules are different, the players are professionals now and were amateurs in the '70s. The players now are much bigger and fitter than their 70s counterparts. So comparisons are indeed odious but I'd say that that the earlier side was more exciting and entertaining but then I was 40 years younger then

I agree with all that Anna says - the emergence of a new England side in the last few weeks really is both a tremendous surprise and a delight because it mean that the Northern nations have at least two really exciting teams to take the game to the dominant Southerners.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

I agree with all that Anna says - the emergence of a new England side in the last few weeks really is both a tremendous surprise and a delight because it mean that the Northern nations have at least two really exciting teams to take the game to the dominant Southerners.
                          Yes, Yes, Yes!! Together, United, Wales and England (OMG did I really say that?) we can triumph over the Southerners!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

i wouldn't write the French out of it just yet ...

Comment

• anotherbob
                              • Sep 2011

IMHO the current Welsh backs would look every bit as good as the great '70s team if they were playing against defences of the '70s.

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

So comparisons are indeed odious but I'd say that that the earlier side was more exciting and entertaining but then I was 40 years younger then
                                I agree, am51 (and I was there for at least a couple of the games in that great footage). I'd say the forwards of the current Welsh side are generally better than those of the 70s but the backs, North excepted, are not as good. Mike Phillips is no Gareth Edwards and Rhys Priestland no Barry John. Gerald Davies was just one of the best wings ever, and JPR was a one-off. I think the amateur/professional distinction is relevant - there seemed to be a kind of flamboyance and unpredictability in the play then (those dummies by John Taylor, the reverse pass by Edwards), which was best exemplified by that Barbarians try against the All Blacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X