X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei
    • Sep 2024

Lor' Lammy!

Tottenham MP David Lammy believes one of the reasons for last year's riots is the ban on smacking children.

Answers on a pinhead, please.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
    Tottenham MP David Lammy believes one of the reasons for last year's riots is the ban on smacking children.

Answers on a pinhead, please.
    Is the ban in question on children who have been smacked or childen who have smacked others and who now miss it?

And is the motive stemming from those who were traumatised by the smacking or by not being smacked?

I think we should be told ... but I'm not holding my breath

Is there a link perhaps? ... to the statement, I mean

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Legislation surrounding the smacking of children needs to be relaxed so working-class parents can instil discipline in their homes without fearing prosecution, according to a senior Labour politician.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

So presumably children in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland etc etc don't riot because they are smacked, then <doh>

Comment

• Anna

Well, after the riots, quite a few of those involved (young teenagers) in interviews on Sky News said they could get away with anything because if parents laid a hand on them they would report them (parents) to Social Services. This may just have been bravado in justifying their actions of course and it is this that David Lammy has picked up on?

Comment

• amateur51

Cheers, mercs ... here's David Lammy's interview with LBC's Iain Dale

Leading Britain's Conversation LBC - talk radio for the UK, letting you have your say on the big issues of the day and affecting London and the UK, with breaking news and opinion.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              So presumably children in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland etc etc don't riot because they are smacked, then <doh>
              I don't know why you've added the <doh> to the end of that sentence. It seems to make perfect sense.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Well, after the riots, quite a few of those involved (young teenagers) in interviews on Sky News said they could get away with anything because if parents laid a hand on them they would report them (parents) to Social Services. This may just have been bravado in justifying their actions of course and it is this that David Lammy has picked up on?
                Should they then be smacked for the instant gratification culture instilled by the indolent parenting and namby-pamby liberal values-based teaching methods in schools, as unendingly churned out by the tabloids? Or shouldn't Mr Lammy, as a Labour salt of the earth politician accountable to some of the poorest electorate in the country, be coming up with more coherent ideology than tabloid?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Should they then be smacked for the instant gratification culture instilled by the indolent parenting and namby-pamby liberal values-based teaching methods in schools, as unendingly churned out by the tabloids? Or shouldn't Mr Lammy, as a Labour salt of the earth politician accountable to some of the poorest electorate in the country, be coming up with more coherent ideology than tabloid?
                  I don't know, I only repeated what I saw on Sky News but, I think the issue is that some children know they have the upper hand and therefore can dismiss their parents' control because the law is on their side? If you have a toddler, and they persist in putting their hand in the fire, you cannot reason with them, it's a slap and do not do it or else you'll get another slap. Toddler soon learns. It doesn't work with teenagers, they would be more likely to deck you of course. I think Lammy really has got it wrong, it's about respect for your parents, not smacks.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    I don't know, I only repeated what I saw on Sky News but, I think the issue is that some children know they have the upper hand and therefore can dismiss their parents' control because the law is on their side? If you have a toddler, and they persist in putting their hand in the fire, you cannot reason with them, it's a slap and do not do it or else you'll get another slap. Toddler soon learns. It doesn't work with teenagers, they would be more likely to deck you of course. I think Lammy really has got it wrong, it's about respect for your parents, not smacks.
                    Respect cuts both ways. The question, in our times, and with prevailing values, is, for what? how is it to be earned, and from where?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

"Mr Lamy told LBC ... that he was smacked as a child and it taught him respect"

Well, I was smacked... and beaten at school too, a totally unwarranted form of punishment ubiquitously meted out in Victorian times and in schools and homes the 1950s/early '60s. I had to look elsewhere for "respect".

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

I think it's important to distinguish between short, sharp, light physical punishment and beating a child to pulp. Animals generally discipline their offspring with a sharp nip, bash or similar. The offspring learns, and suffers no permanaent physical or (as far as we can tell) mental harm. What we seem to have lost is the ability to make this distinction, at both personal and political levels.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

#12....If em minching or mazed n'heller, gim a good jowsing....
                          bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            I think it's important to distinguish between short, sharp, light physical punishment and beating a child to pulp. Animals generally discipline their offspring with a sharp nip, bash or similar. The offspring learns, and suffers no permanaent physical or (as far as we can tell) mental harm. What we seem to have lost is the ability to make this distinction, at both personal and political levels.
                            I wouldn't say that
                            I hear that the clubs at Vauxhall are doing very well these days !

Comment

Working...
                            X