X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Britten's Children (BBC Four)

Having got in late tonight, I was greatly looking forward to watching this splendid documentary on the iPlayer. I should be so lucky - it's one of the programmes that shows up as "Not available". I hugely enjoyed it a few years ago, but failed to record it then, and now it's come and gone one more time.

I don't suppose anybody recorded this and would be willing to upload a video file? If so, please send me a private message - it would be very much appreciated!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

This is, I'm afraid, illegal so could I ask people not to use this forum to facilitate the sharing of recorded programmes. Sorry.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
      Having got in late tonight, I was greatly looking forward to watching this splendid documentary on the iPlayer. I should be so lucky - it's one of the programmes that shows up as "Not available". I hugely enjoyed it a few years ago, but failed to record it then, and now it's come and gone one more time.

I don't suppose anybody recorded this and would be willing to upload a video file? If so, please send me a private message - it would be very much appreciated!
      Could I recommend the book with the same name and author? It covers more ground than the film and I think I recall enjoying it much more.

Comment

• Boilk
        • Dec 2010

I recorded too, as would have arrived home too late. Alas, will behave and not send a private message. Amazon is asking for £16.44 it seems, but over on eBay there is a "Buy Now" DVD for just £3.96 with postage.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
          I recorded too, as would have arrived home too late. Alas, will behave and not send a private message. Amazon is asking for £16.44 it seems, but over on eBay there is a "Buy Now" DVD for just £3.96 with postage.
          Thanks Boilk - I didn't even realise there *was* a DVD - I have the book which is fascinating.

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Thanks Boilk - I didn't even realise there *was* a DVD - I have the book which is fascinating.
            Ah - unless I'm missing something, it looks as if it's the book that's on ebay and amazon.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Taking Frenchie's comment on board, I too forgot to program the Britten film to record. I also missed the Delius. Neither made it to the iPlayer's on demand option. Since both wsre, I think, BBC projects, I wonder why this might be. Discusion by messages here or by PM welcomed.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Neither made it to the iPlayer's on demand option. Since both wsre, I think, BBC projects, I wonder why this might be. Discusion by messages here or by PM welcomed.
                I think the BBC only tends to put new programmes on the iplayer. As both films were repeats, this is probably the explanation.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

There isn't a DVD. I don't know why not, or whether there will be eventually, but I agree with others that the book is better, and very readable.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

[QUOTE=Boilk;125338]I recorded too, as would have arrived home too late. Alas, will behave and not send a private message. QUOTE]
                    Same here. It's always worth checking the BBC4 homepage in these cases, as dates of further transmissions are usually indicated.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Something else on BBC4 which is not to be missed - The Singing Detective next week!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                        Something else on BBC4 which is not to be missed - The Singing Detective next week!
                        That, I do have on DVD.

Re. the Russell films. The Elgar was/is on the iPlayer's on demand facility, IIRC.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

I remember watching this first time round and finding it fascinating stuff
                          particularly impressive was the part where we saw someone swimming from Aldeburgh beach and then swimming back, maybe its just me but every time i've done this I've almost ended up a Felixstowe due to the current ! Ben & Peter must have been mighty fit (Adnams of course !!)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            I remember watching this first time round and finding it fascinating stuff
                            particularly impressive was the part where we saw someone swimming from Aldeburgh beach and then swimming back, maybe its just me but every time i've done this I've almost ended up a Felixstowe due to the current ! Ben & Peter must have been mighty fit (Adnams of course !!)
                            Many years ago the cartoonist Larry, I think it was, did a page on the Aldeburgh Festival in Punch magazine. One of the pictures showed two middle-aged women out for a stroll on the beach, with one saying to the other, "If we look out, we might get to see Ben and Peter".

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Many years ago the cartoonist Larry, I think it was, did a page on the Aldeburgh Festival in Punch magazine. One of the pictures showed two middle-aged women out for a stroll on the beach, with one saying to the other, "If we look out, we might get to see Ben and Peter".

I saw Turnage and Knussen walking along Crag path, would have been a great cartoon (if I could draw people .............)

Comment

Working...
                              X