• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Nicol Williamson 1936 – 2011

Very sorry to see that this great actor has gone. When in my teens, I was taken to Stratford to see "Twelfth Night" and almost laughed myself sick at his performance as Malvolio in the scene where he is trying to decipher the letter ("M, O, A, I,") and in the "cross-garter'd" scene. A genius.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I was going to amend the 2011 to 2012 but, yes, you're right ...

I can remember him arriving on the theatrical scene as clearly destined to be one of those preeminent figures, which he was.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

Dad played with him in a revival of The Ginger Man at the Royal Court in '63.

The following year Linsay Anderson cast him as Brutus in a production of Julius Caesar (also at the Royal Court) with my father as Cassius. However, in a move that was to become all too characteric of his career he backed out after some minor difference with Anderson. He was replaced by Ian Bannen.

On this cast list you can see where Bannen's name has been pasted into the programme:

Comment

• amateur51

Here he is in Hamlet ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and here talking about death with John Betjeman and David Frost - at 01:30 onwards he discusses Beckett and death & he gives a reading ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Here he is in Hamlet ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and here talking about death with John Betjeman and David Frost - at 01:30 onwards he discusses Beckett and death & he gives a reading ...

Wow! Thanks for those, ammy!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

wow indeed! ... and did we spend our Saturday evenings watching intelligent people discussing such matters and reading such as Beckett on television?
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              wow indeed! ... and did we spend our Saturday evenings watching intelligent people discussing such matters and reading such as Beckett on television?
              Makes the efforts of Lord Fry of Ubiquity (it can only be a matter of time, surely?) look pretty small beer

Comment

Working...
              X