Has the BBC abandoned 192 kbps Discrete Stereo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHTL
    • Mar 2007

Has the BBC abandoned 192 kbps Discrete Stereo?

I notice, with sadness, that Radio 3 is still broadcasting at 160 kbps Joint Stereo at twenty to seven this evening. As far as I can see from the Radio Times, Radio 5 Live Xtra should have finished at two o'clock this afternoon. It was by noticing the poorer quality R3 DAB sound that I was prompted to check the bitrate. Let us sincerely hope that this is a mistake and not a new policy!
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

I've just checked - R5 Live Sports Extra is still broadcasting the cricket, which probably explains things.

Comment

• NHTL
      • Mar 2007

However, it is interesting that, contrary to previous practice, they are keeping R3 at the lower bit rate and not dropping R4 to mono. Again, I hope that this is not a taste of things to come.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
        • Mar 2007

It's back at 192kbps now.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Don't get carried away. 192kbs isn't great either.

Comment

• NHTL
            • Mar 2007

EA, I so agree, but 160 kbps Joint Stereo is even worse. I note that we are still at 160 kbps JS this evening so it would suggest that the BBC has made a change of policy that is to the detriment of Radio 3.

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by North_Hessary_Tor_Listener View Post
              EA, I so agree, but 160 kbps Joint Stereo is even worse. I note that we are still at 160 kbps JS this evening so it would suggest that the BBC has made a change of policy that is to the detriment of Radio 3.
              Expect it to change back at or after 20.00 when Radio 5 Live Sports Extra goes off air.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                I've just checked - R5 Live Sports Extra is still broadcasting the cricket, which probably explains things.
                But why, when the cricket is on LW too?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Last night it changed, fairly seamlessly, at about 8:45pm, during one of the interval items. So much for Wright's commitment to live concert broadcasts.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    So much for Wright's commitment to live concert broadcasts.
                    Yes, but don't forget his other passion is cricket ...
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      But why, when the cricket is on LW too?
                      Cricket on LW does not give continuous coverage, as it is interrupted to carry the Radio 4 LW only programmes (Daily Service, Shipping Forecast). The more relevant question might be why is the cricket available on two separate DIGITAL channels (and so allowed to take precious bandwidth from Radio 3)? (Radio 4 LW programmes are available on a digital channel distinct from Radio 4 FM).

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

With the equipment I have available I can only check the data rate after the event (by saving the mp2 to an SD card and opening it later in Mp3DirectCut). However, if Live in Concert tonight started at 160kbps joint (intensity) 'stereo'*, that is pretty insulting to Radio France, is it not?

*[effectively separate frequency bands of mono, each with its own positioning in a 'stereo' field depending on the overall relative volume values of that frequency band for each channel during each 1/75 second mp2 'frame']

Comment

• NHTL
                          • Mar 2007

Bryn, I am in full agreement with you. I live part of each year in France and I am aware of the high quality of their France Musique transmissions. Granted they are largely in FM, but it is high quality FM without Optimod processing. If the BBC is going to say that R3 at 160 kbps Joint Stereo is, with their new processors, as good as FM or 192 Discrete Stereo, I despair at who is assessing the output and what equipment they are using to monitor their output.

Another point for me to make as “Disgruntled of Plymouth” is that in the past it was possible to speak to the Duty Officer and express your concerns, that option is no longer available to us.

I note that at 20:30 we are still at the lower bit rate – why? R4 always used to drop after approximately 5 pm.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Crazy isn't it. FoR3 campaigned hard for a return to live concert broadcasts and now that we have them back, the most reliable way to hear them in decent audio quality is after the event, via the on demand iPlayer HD Sound offering, (I find the live HD Sound stream less reliable).

[Wouldn't you know it. The live HD Sound stream seems pretty stable tonight. Still, it's easier to skip the intros when accessing the on demand version. ]
                            Last edited by Bryn; 26-01-12, 22:05.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by North_Hessary_Tor_Listener View Post
                              Another point for me to make as “Disgruntled of Plymouth” is that in the past it was possible to speak to the Duty Officer and express your concerns, that option is no longer available to us.
                              Not even for you? You used to have the 'magic password' to get through.

Bryn - an excellent point which I will make a note of ... Last time, though, it was Jenny Abramsky who responded positively to us - she who had spent 40 years with BBC Radio. What's more, she would personally reply to letters addressed to her. The new higher echelon knows nothing of such matters, cares less and certainly doesn't appear to correspond with ordinary listeners.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X