• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Spotted Pseuds

Here to "get the ball rolling" as it were is an example I spotted to-day. It comes from Grove's Dictionary:

"Guero (1970) for solo piano entirely avoids the 'normal' sound of the piano achieved by striking the keys." (Article by Mosch on Lachenmann the German.)

-oOo-

So - pretty obvious this thread - a long-needed compartment for things overblown, pretentious, insincere. The word derives of course from the Greek stem ψευδ-, signifying "false"; and it - the term but certainly not the phenomenon - did not come into widespread use until the '-sixties of the last century. In the field of the highest British art-music this I think had something to do with Wilfrid Mellers and his otherwise inexplicable pushing of "pop" groups.

As two of the word's earliest appearances the great Oxford English Dictionary cites the following:

1) The pseuds and intellectual craze-mongers seem to have dropped cinéma-vérité almost as quickly as they took it up. (The Spectator, 1964)

2) As well as being the creator of an avant-garde film on human buttocks, Miss Ono has a long list of other achievements which must put her in the running for the title of Pseud of the Century. (Jazz Monthly, 1968)

All members are invited to add their own observations and discoveries.
  • Don Petter

They don't worry me - I just use a pseud brush to get rid of the spots.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      So - pretty obvious this thread - a long-needed compartment for things overblown, pretentious, insincere.
      But you "contribute" to so many threads already: expecting your own "compartment" is greedy.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

So - pretty obvious this thread - a long-needed compartment for things overblown, pretentious, insincere.
        That'll be Gerontius then

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          That'll be Gerontius then
          Whatever your perception might be, I don't think we can doubt Elgar's sincerity when writing on that subject.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            Whatever your perception might be, I don't think we can doubt Elgar's sincerity when writing on that subject.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

things overblown, pretentious, insincere. The word derives of course from the Greek stem ψευδ-, signifying "false"

All members are invited to add their own observations and discoveries.
              The Writings of Sydney Grew.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                The Writings of Sydney Grew.
                Quite, vinty: that's what I was failing to say in my earlier Post.

For the Grewsome one to complain about anything being "overblown, pretentious and insincere" is akin to me complaining about somebody else's convoluted syntax!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  Only afterwards

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

I've yet to be pseud for anything that I've written but, like anything else, I suppose that there's always a first time for everything...

Comment

Working...
                    X