• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Lawn-tennis and the raising of the fist

Why do contemporary players at lawn-tennis - both the men and the women - continually raise their fists in a threatening gesture? Not only is the habit discourteous in the extreme; it even seems to demonstrate a kind of insanity does it not?

I understand that these are simply paid performing creatures. But whether or not that is so, there should be no distinction made between a "win" and a "loss."

There is a very long article in the O.E.D. about the possible origin or derivation of the word "tennis" but all it really says is that no one knows for certain.
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

In many cultures, particularly in the Hispanic world, the raised fist has been a sign of friendship and solidarity. It was adopted in the 50s and 60s by pacifist movements and the South African Black Liberations movements. The palm should face the viewer rather than the knuckles which is a sign of aggression. There is a brief explanation of Wikipedia which gives leads to other articles:

The article says that the ancient Assyrians used it a a symbol of resistance to violence which would go some way to its widespread usage with no real sinister (no pun intended) underlying meaning.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Don't know about the fist but

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach 'ya 'bout the raising of the wrist.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
        Why do contemporary players at lawn-tennis...continually raise their fists in a threatening gesture?
        Ask Auguste Rodin - he sculpted "Peed Off Tennis Player Wondering What To Do Next" so he's sure to know

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

He may be good, but I can't stand the Andy Murray fist and the snarl that goes with it.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            He may be good, but I can't stand the Andy Murray fist and the snarl that goes with it.
            Shades of Nige's haircut ?
            What has that got to do with tennis / music ?

Comment

• greenilex
              • Nov 2010

Human equivalent of chest-beating to indicate victory.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                Oh come on, ferret, he's probably just another youthful multi-millionaire celebrity who also owns a Che Guevara T-shirt ...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I prefer fist-raising - despite its unhappy connotations - to the variety of increasingly loud and unladylike noises that many lady players emit while playing. They put me off, and probably put off their opponents as well (which is probably the intention).
                  (NB: Andy Murray remains British until he loses)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    Oh come on, ferret, he's probably just another youthful multi-millionaire celebrity who also owns a Che Guevara T-shirt ...
                    Scotty, please don't let on about me, I hate begging letters too!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

I wonder if such gestures occurred when Schönberg (or was he Schoenberg by then) used to play tennis with Gershwin?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                        I prefer fist-raising - despite its unhappy connotations - to the variety of increasingly loud and unladylike noises that many lady players emit while playing. They put me off, and probably put off their opponents as well (which is probably the intention).
                        (NB: Andy Murray remains British until he loses)
                        I've just been watching Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open, and while she's a great player and rather easy on the eye,, the screams she emits every time she hits the ball are ridiculously loud.

Talking of Andy Murray, I also watched his match against Lodra a few days ago, and not only was he playing superbly, he also managed a few smiles. And when the post match interviewer asked him how he intended to celebrate his win, he replied that he was "going to go out and get hammered".

Perhaps Ivan Lendl is having a positive effect on him?
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          I've just been watching Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open, and while she's a great player and rather easy on the eye,, the screams she emits every time she hits the ball are ridiculously loud.

Talking of Andy Murray, I also watched his match against Lodra a few days ago, and not only was he playing superbly, he also managed a few smiles. And when the post match interviewer asked him how he intended to celebrate his win, he replied that he was "going to go out and get hammered".

Perhaps Ivan Lendl is having a positive effect on him?
                          Or could it be only now that some non-Scots are finally and belatedly recognising a parched-dry, deadpan Scottish sense of humour (if the teenage street-phrase 'getting hammered' can be viewed as a particularly witty aside) ... ?

The English sporting media, in particular, has never really 'got' Murray in contrast to its idolisation of The Dearly Beloved Timothy. Maybe it never really wanted to ...

All this strange negativity could swiftly change, of course, if Andrew ever wins his elusive Masters. (as has previously been hinted).

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Neither is from the British Isles of course, but I've just watched a wonderful closely fought Mens Final from Melbourne between Nadal and Djokovich. Decided in the last few games too. Shame about the winner.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                              Or could it be only now that some non-Scots are finally and belatedly recognising a parched-dry, deadpan Scottish sense of humour (if the teenage street-phrase 'getting hammered' can be viewed as a particularly witty aside) ... ?

The English sporting media, in particular, has never really 'got' Murray in contrast to its idolisation of The Dearly Beloved Timothy. Maybe it never really wanted to ...

All this strange negativity could swiftly change, of course, if Andrew ever wins his elusive Masters. (as has previously been hinted).
                              At this rate, we may never know

Comment

Working...
                              X