X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Maybe if the police weren't seen to get away with murder (literally !) then people would respect them ?
    Maybe if we didn't see film of the police tipping people out of wheelchairs ?
    When it's illegal to stage a simple protest outside ones own parliament then that maybe says something as well ?
    Indeed so. There are, and always have been, policemen more like the villains they apprehend but a great deal of our knowledge of such things is now down to the increased (I hesitate to say 'better') level of reporting.

I believe that there is, in general, a marked difference in respect, simple respect, for ones fellow citizen's than existed of 30/40 years ago. There is a pervasive sense of selfishness, laziness and lack of awareness about that does indeed point to a decline in civilisation. We are all rushing down the slippery slope at a fair rate of knors.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Indeed so. There are, and always have been, policemen more like the villains they apprehend but a great deal of our knowledge of such things is now down to the increased (I hesitate to say 'better') level of reporting.

I believe that there is, in general, a marked difference in respect, simple respect, for ones fellow citizen's than existed of 30/40 years ago. There is a pervasive sense of selfishness, laziness and lack of awareness about that does indeed point to a decline in civilisation. We are all rushing down the slippery slope at a fair rate of knors.
      we have been, and are being pushed down that slope by the people at the top.
      It is in THEIR interests that we in the masses should behave badly, and treat our fellow humans badly. This disguises the "feral" nature of our leaders, and excuses their behaviour. Its also in THEIR interests that we spend our time fighting each other (EG public sector/private sector/non existent pensions) rather than dealing with structural problems and disgraceful inequality in our world.

There is more that unites us than divides us.

Cue Shelley quote..............

Oh, and the police would get more respect if they decided that they were the servants of the people not of their masters.......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• old khayyam

#166 is, in more than one way, the result of #165.

By which i mean, 30-40 years ago was the period in which we discovered our so-called superiors were anything but. A sort of Enlightenment.

The rebellion against them and attempts to create new social orders were disrupted wherever possible by the so-called superiors who, if nothing else, retain the power to do so.

Thus we find ourselves in this second stage where the ability to create our own order is still divided and conquered ("Its...in THEIR interests that we spend our time fighting each other" #167), yet they do not have the power to reinstate their authority.

I tend to refer to it as the Fight between Heaven and Hell.
        Last edited by Guest; 23-01-12, 11:45.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Oh, and the police would get more respect if they decided that they were the servants of the people not of their masters.......
          As would MPs

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            ...the universal habit now of closing titles being interrupted within 2 or 3 seconds by a strident voice and images trailing the following or future programmes.

A propos, interesting and amusing pair of tweets by Victoria Coren about the absence of the above (I confess, I didn't notice!) from the final 'Sherlock'

"Jan 15 But how was it done? How, how? It's impossible. It's the GREATEST MIRACLE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN. #sherlock

- by which I mean, HOW WAS IT ACHIEVED to get a full set of end credits without an annoying trailer over them? Amazing! Beautiful! #sherlock"
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

A propos, interesting and amusing pair of tweets by Victoria Coren about the absence of the above (I confess, I didn't notice!) from the final 'Sherlock'

"Jan 15 But how was it done? How, how? It's impossible. It's the GREATEST MIRACLE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN. #sherlock

- by which I mean, HOW WAS IT ACHIEVED to get a full set of end credits without an annoying trailer over them? Amazing! Beautiful! #sherlock"
              It's cos the Sherlocks are made in Wales

Comment

Working...
              X