X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old khayyam
    • Sep 2024

The Decline Of Civilisation

I am reminded of a friend's comment that "you can always spot a first-timer at a recital because they are the only one wearing a suit". I was having none of it: "And i can spot the decline of civilisation every time i see an old man in trainers!"

Inspired by the Guardian thread, i thought maybe we should have a place to consolidate our moans about the downfall of civilisation in all its ugly forms. Like here, perhaps.
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Wasn't there a 'grumpy old man' thread a while ago (I think women were allowed on it as well )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I'm glad to have this space, thanks o.k. The following is relatively trivial and didn't seem to warrant a thread on its own, but I'd like to get it off my chest.

Keeping to the theme of television (I was just on the 'documentaries' thread), and as referred to by Flossie, I would moan and groan about the universal habit now of closing titles being interrupted within 2 or 3 seconds by a strident voice and images trailing the following or future programmes.

If the programme one has been watching is of any quality at all (I like to think I don't watch rubbish; and I am a fan of good TV), the closing music - and maybe graphics too - will more often than not be carefully chosen. Also, there will be things one wants to reflect on or (in the case of drama) an atmosphere to be preserved. Either way, some strident voiceover trailing an incongruous programme ("Celebrity Can't Cook Won't Cook" or the like cutting in at the end of a historical drama etc etc) is an absolute nightmare.

It's a big reason to try and watch really good stuff on DVD. At the end of each episode of "The Sopranos" for instance, there was a different piece of music which was relevant to the events which had just unfolded. I gave up watching on C4 instantly when a great song was interrupted by that annoying Geordie bloke trailing 'Biiiig Brootha'...

Watching it on DVD (as I did, all 6 seasons) gave a full sense of the quality of the production, right down to the end of the closing titles.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Wasn't there a 'grumpy old man' thread a while ago (I think women were allowed on it as well )
        Who on earth "allowed" that then?!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Caliban

I totally agree with you. The Presentation department at the BBC used to be a small unit which occupied itself with simple programme links. Unfortunately as its budget has grown it has become a powerful force which can disregard the wishes of the programme makers themselves. I remember how directors would fume when their carefully designed end credits were ripped apart by oafish announcements, and now it is completely out of control. Perhaps the worst feature is that the screen shrink always seems to be happening when the cast list or locations are on the screen, never when the less important credits appear. I'm referring to the BBC here, but of course all the channels do it now.
          Another irritant is the apparent necessity to introduce each programme with a lengthy list of what is to come at the outset, and end by having clips of the next thing in the series, so that a half hour programme only contains about twenty minutes of new material.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I'm glad to have this space, thanks o.k. The following is relatively trivial and didn't seem to warrant a thread on its own, but I'd like to get it off my chest.

Keeping to the theme of television (I was just on the 'documentaries' thread), and as referred to by Flossie, I would moan and groan about the universal habit now of closing titles being interrupted within 2 or 3 seconds by a strident voice and images trailing the following or future programmes.

If the programme one has been watching is of any quality at all (I like to think I don't watch rubbish; and I am a fan of good TV), the closing music - and maybe graphics too - will more often than not be carefully chosen. Also, there will be things one wants to reflect on or (in the case of drama) an atmosphere to be preserved. Either way, some strident voiceover trailing an incongruous programme ("Celebrity Can't Cook Won't Cook" or the like cutting in at the end of a historical drama etc etc) is an absolute nightmare.

It's a big reason to try and watch really good stuff on DVD. At the end of each episode of "The Sopranos" for instance, there was a different piece of music which was relevant to the events which had just unfolded. I gave up watching on C4 instantly when a great song was interrupted by that annoying Geordie bloke trailing 'Biiiig Brootha'...

Watching it on DVD (as I did, all 6 seasons) gave a full sense of the quality of the production, right down to the end of the closing titles.
            Agreed in all particulars!

As it happens, someone recently asked me what I though about the decline of civilisation and all that I could come up with on the spur of the moment was "well, since I'm a composer, I can only hope not to have contributed to it".

Comment

• amateur51

Sound sense, Calibs - I completely agree

Grumpy of NW2

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                Caliban

I totally agree with you. The Presentation department at the BBC used to be a small unit which occupied itself with simple programme links. Unfortunately as its budget has grown it has become a powerful force which can disregard the wishes of the programme makers themselves. I remember how directors would fume when their carefully designed end credits were ripped apart by oafish announcements, and now it is completely out of control. Perhaps the worst feature is that the screen shrink always seems to be happening when the cast list or locations are on the screen, never when the less important credits appear. I'm referring to the BBC here, but of course all the channels do it now.
                Another irritant is the apparent necessity to introduce each programme with a lengthy list of what is to come at the outset, and end by having clips of the next thing in the series, so that a half hour programme only contains about twenty minutes of new material.
                Indeed. I sometimes wonder whether some people who've been accustomed to nothing else might balk at the prospect of what might pass for actual programmes interrupting the trails, ads, résumés and the rest...

Comment

• Curalach

Keeping to the theme of television
                  Following on from Caliban, I dislike the ITV habit of squeezing programme credits into an unreadable box while said voiceover waffles on. I like to read the names of actors etc and this method, together with high speed rolling, makes it impossible.

I also dislike the BBC habit of starting programmes early. I used to switch on BBC1 for the local forecast at 6.55 each evening, only being caught out by Party Politicals, but now the Beeb routinely starts its 7pm programme, a worthless magazine, at least 3 minutes early, presumably to catch viewers who might be tempted to switch to alternative pap on ITV.

Harrumph!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Curalach View Post

Harrumph!!
                    Such a splendidly grumpy word!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

In relation to the last contributions - yes, I feel for composers whose music is trampled and p****d on by the desperate trailers, and for the directors whose work is shattered - plus anyone of note on the programme whose credit is squashed into illegibility.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>its 7pm programme

Do you mean that simplified edition of Blue Peter ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Such a splendidly grumpy word!

I'll see Curalach's "Harrumph" and raise you all a couple of "Psshawww"s and a Gallic "Pffffffffffff!!!!!"

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                            >>>its 7pm programme

Do you mean that simplified edition of Blue Peter ?
                            Indeed Paul - The One Show. I wonder how much they spent coming up with that title!

Comment

• Curalach

I'll see Curalach's "Harrumph" and raise you all a couple of "Psshawww"s and a Gallic "Pffffffffffff!!!!!"
                              I think the French would have it, accompanied of course by that wonderful worldweary shrug!!

Comment

Working...
                              X