• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I have had a good idea.

Get rid of the monarchy (and all titles) and Make Emma Kirkby head of state.(though she could still be a Dame I suppose).

provided she sings for free at state events, of course.
    I have an even better idea. Get rid of Gove. He's far more dangerous than any member of the Royal Family (or any other Westminster politician I can think of).

Comment

• Mahlerei

Ridiculous idea. And the notion of it being used to train youngsters is just a red herring. Agree about Gove too, I think he may have a Messiah complex...

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

I have had a good idea.

Get rid of the monarchy (and all titles) and Make Emma Kirkby head of state.(though she could still be a Dame I suppose).

provided she sings for free at state events, of course.
        If Emma Kirkby sings at state events, that will certainly encourage me to stay away !

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

We ned to be careful what's supposedly meant by "privately funded" here; in order to ensure that the taxpayer funds no part of this exercise by the front or back doors, it must be 110% certain that not a penny of tax relief will be afforded to any charity, individual or corporation that makes a contribution towards it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

(although, strangely, this wasn't the cartoon that appeared in the print edition I bought yeterday)

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                We ned to be careful what's supposedly meant by "privately funded" here; in order to ensure that the taxpayer funds no part of this exercise by the front or back doors, it must be 110% certain that not a penny of tax relief will be afforded to any charity, individual or corporation that makes a contribution towards it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Or that they don't appear in the next 'honours' list.

Comment

• amateur51

Always a good idea to take independent financial advice, I'm told ....

SCUM!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

looks like dave thinks its a good idea.

Charity behind project to build new vessel to solicit donations from public and companies rather than seek government money

Pity the big cheeses out there don't care about real people with real needs...you know, the people who work to pay for the royals, the bankers and the rest.

Rise like Lions after slumber
                      In unvanquishable number -
                      Shake your chains to earth like dew
                      Which in sleep had fallen on you -
                      Ye are many – they are few.

Couldn't have put it better myself !!!
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        If Emma Kirkby sings at state events, that will certainly encourage me to stay away !
                        And there i was thinking that everybody loves Emms...........
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

And there i was thinking that everybody loves Emms...........
                          There's really no reason at all why I can't bear to hear Emms, she's obviously a fine artist, so why does she set my teeth on edge? I've no idea, she just does.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                            There's really no reason at all why I can't bear to hear Emms, she's obviously a fine artist, so why does she set my teeth on edge? I've no idea, she just does.
                            It's the lack of vibrato. To misquote the late lamented John Peel, life has vibrato. Actually I love to hear her talk, she's very entertaining.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Apparently there is now a 'charity' to solicit donations - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ja...-public-appeal. Although when you look at the charity's website (http://www.universityoftheoceans.org/role-of-ship.aspx) the story becomes more complex; it started as a proposal to replace the Britannia under the previous Tory govt, then when the Labour came to power & it was decided not to replace the Britannia the purpose of the new ship was changed, & now the idea of a royal yacht is being brought back into play.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Coming back to Gove-Blunders. Do you remember the little man ordered thousands of King James Bibles so that every British School should have one? quite rightly as it is a very fine bit of literature and infinitely better that the NEB and other English translations. His problem is that he thought that the Department of Education would foot the bill. "Just like that!" as Tommy Cooper would have said. After ordering the books (which are now in storage abroad awaiting payment) Little-Gove did not allow for the Prime Minister ruling that a philanthropist should pay for the Bibles and NOT the DoE. Whoopsie!

I do apologise I have just got home from a few days away and had not notice an existing thread on this Hot Gospel News

Comment

Working...
                                X