X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Gove had ONE good idea ...

So perhaps he thinks that he can do it again?

Exclusive: Education secretary proposes taxpayers fund gift – likely to cost at least £60m – to mark 'momentous occasion'

However, Cams has decided otherwise.

David Cameron believes it inappropriate to spend public money on vessel, prime minister's spokesman says
  • Anna

While it's a nice idea to give HRH a present, a yacht really is the most stupid suggestion as I think they got rid of the last one as it was hardly used. A new brace of corgis would be a better suggestion (perhaps called Sam and Dave?)
    Edit: A Department for Culture, Media and Sport spokesman said the Palace had made it clear that the Diamond Jubilee celebrations should reflect the current economic climate. At least HRH has her head screwed on right, the same cannot be said for Mr. Gove.
    Double Edit: On PM just now, could be a tall masted vessel, privately funded, used for training youngsters and for trade purposes, which seems better proposition.
    Last edited by Guest; 16-01-12, 18:49.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

banning things, and discussion of things that you don't agree with isn't a good idea... its autocratic.

As for the yacht................ I would be all for it if all the royals got on it and took a one way trip to somewhere that needs them....can't think of anywhere as yet ,though.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Remember how the Britannia was supposed to double as a hospital ship? It cost a fortune and was hardly used. In any case, when HMQ hands in her dinner pail,who would want it to be used by Chas. and Camilla ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          While it's a nice idea to give HRH a present, a yacht really is the most stupid suggestion as I think they got rid of the last one as it was hardly used. A new brace of corgis would be a better suggestion (perhaps called Sam and Dave?)
          Are you absolutely certain that Her Majesty is keen on soul music, Anna?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B26ORjxQdNA

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Did I really hear on the radio news that Gove thinks that giving the Queen a yacht would "raise the nation's spirits"? Words fail me (for once!).

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Are you absolutely certain that Her Majesty is keen on soul music, Anna?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B26ORjxQdNA
              #

well she named her dogs after this dodgy 80's lot..........

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                Did I really hear on the radio news that Gove thinks that giving the Queen a yacht would "raise the nation's spirits"? Words fail me (for once!).
                polite words failed me. The ones I sometimes use at roundabouts or football didn't.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  I almost crashed my car
                  what a load of utter bollocks
                  they can more than afford to buy their own sodding boat
                  I can think of a few things that Gove could do to raise the spirits of the teaching profession some of which involve dangerous power tools

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    I almost crashed my car
                    what a load of utter bollocks
                    they can more than afford to buy their own sodding boat
                    I can think of a few things that Gove could do to raise the spirits of the teaching profession some of which involve dangerous power tools
                    he can borrow some of mine. never know which size drill bit to use anyway...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

The 7.00 news (just before The Archers) said that (despite the implied rejection of the idea by DC in the Guardian article I linked to above) Cams approved of the idea if it was privately funded.

Which begs the question, pace an earlier thread, if the Queen's state vessel can be privately funded, why not Thatcher's state funeral?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

if there is that much private funding sloshing around, its a pity they don't use it to save a business instead, like Peacocks or Past times.

Instead of giving it to rich parasites so they can have even more, even nicer holidays.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

Couldn't we just buy her a big box of chocolates and some flowers instead?

I see Chuck and Anne are in favour of the ship, obviously playing the long game.
                          Steve

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

You can just hear them, can't you - 'Mummy, can I have the ship tonight?'

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

I have had a good idea.

Get rid of the monarchy (and all titles) and Make Emma Kirkby head of state.(though she could still be a Dame I suppose).

provided she sings for free at state events, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X