X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Critical Muslim

On the old BBC forum board, there were several members who were quite openly anti-Muslim, I would say, and this caused all manner of very heated debates, which I took part in. Speaking purely for myself, I know very little about Islam and Muslim practices, having been brought up in the Christian hegemony of 1950s UK.

I was very interested to hear about a new publication entitled Critical Muslim on BBC World Service during the night & thought I'd explore further. It does seem a very interesting initiative and so I thought I'd post details here in case anyone else here is interested.

There is link to the BBC World Service programme that I heard and details about Critical Muslim, The Muslim Institute and a very readable & interesting blog.
  • Auferstehen2

Hello am51!

I lived and worked in the city of Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia on the island of Java for five years. I believe Indonesia (btw, pronounced In-do-nie-shya) is still the largest Muslim country in the world with a population of over two hundred million.

My wife and I thought them to be very tolerant of foreigners, their faiths and beliefs, and as far as I know, Indonesia is still considered as one of the most tolerant Muslim countries around. The local staff I employed in my office cried like babies (men and women alike) when they witnessed the horrors of 9/11.

Like everything else, there are both good and bad apples in every barrel.

Mario

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

I lived for three years in Riyadh, capital of Sa'udi Arabia. The wahabi Islam promulgated there is less friendly than that encountered by brother Mario in Indonesia.

And - sadly - it is the limited world-view of the Sa'udi wahabi viewpoint that fuels a lot of the anti-Western weltanschauung of the present-day Islam influences in world politics.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        I lived for three years in Riyadh, capital of Sa'udi Arabia. The wahabi Islam promulgated there is less friendly than that encountered by brother Mario in Indonesia.

And - sadly - it is the limited world-view of the Sa'udi wahabi viewpoint that fuels a lot of the anti-Western weltanschauung of the present-day Islam influences in world politics.

aah yes our good Saudi friends
        its surely about time we tried ETHICS in our dealings ???

not with this lot though

where is Robin Cook when we need him

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Which may be one reason why this journal might be quite important, no?

Comment

Working...
          X