• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

Winter solstice

What do you think?

New Age oldfangled superstitious rubbish, or worth celebrating?

I think a very tiny gold-painted glass of Armagnac...
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
    What do you think?

New Age oldfangled superstitious rubbish ... ?
    Nah. Thats four dauys later.

Comment

• Roehre

What do you think?

New Age oldfangled superstitious rubbish, or worth celebrating?

I think a very tiny gold-painted glass of Armagnac...
      Only a very tiny glass, Greenilex ???

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

the end of shortening days and the beginning of lengthening daylight is to be celebrated eh?

for me a double espresso and a small cigarillo .... Cheers
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Nah. Thats four dauys later.
          You mean, Xmaus ... ?

In any case, you lot have your very own Superstitious Solstice to celebrate apparently ...

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Every dauy is Atheist Dauy for me.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Bless the Continuum....

<sacramentofassam><bodyofBridgetBardot><transubsta ntiationtoastandmarmite>
              bong ching

Comment

• Simon

Not superstitious, for me. Just a recognition, as Calum has said, that the days are now going to lengthen for six months.

Maybe not of much interest to many in the modern world. But to those many who did - and those few who still do - work on the land, close to nature and with the seasons, often in isolated places, a most welcome feeling.

Guaranteed to bring a smile to the faces of the oldies around here - and to the not-quite-so-oldies like me - when someone says - "Well, that's the shortest day over then!"

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

EE lad were almost past backend of t'year....
                  bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

AYE lad and a reet backend of a year it were
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• greenilex
                      • Nov 2010

My only gold-painted glass does happen to be very small.
                      Perhaps I'll fill it a couple of times at opposite ends of the day...

Comment

• Simon

A good excuse indeed!

And it's clear that 8th and Calum have spent some time learning the language of these parts!

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

My only gold-painted glass does happen to be very small.
                          Perhaps I'll fill it a couple of times at opposite ends of the day...

greenilex - if it's a decent armagnac - I do think you shd use a large glass - for the sniffin' of the aromas - even if you're only going to drink a small amount... with a 'very small glass' you're going to be missing out on a lot....

But I share your feeling that the solstice is to be marked. My pa always used to make libations on the solstices; I follow him in this - but where he wd pour good vino on to the land, I tend to drink most of it, merely offering the last drops to the garden. But then he had acres of Wiltshire, and I only have a pocket-handkerchief of shepherd's Bush...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Aye Av bin lekin this aft, fettlin away , mytherin about world und how reet twound it is....20 odd years of decyphering northen disemboguing....and me an equally challenged Wes Country boy.....

<must admit I've put 25 years of virtual teetotaling aside this last few days, and I am self medicating with Guinness avec widget....><yep, things is that bad>....simon
                            bong ching

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                              Not superstitious, for me. Just a recognition, as Calum has said, that the days are now going to lengthen for six months.

Maybe not of much interest to many in the modern world. But to those many who did - and those few who still do - work on the land, close to nature and with the seasons, often in isolated places, a most welcome feeling.

Guaranteed to bring a smile to the faces of the oldies around here - and to the not-quite-so-oldies like me - when someone says - "Well, that's the shortest day over then!"
                              You're right Simon, I've always hated the short, dark days even when young. It used to be leaving for work in London in pitch darkness, now it's just the gloom this year . I agree with Doris Day who said somewhere that she lived up to her name and disliked the short days. Winter has never started so early as far as I can remember. Brrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Working...
                              X