X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

WAM's final consonant

Where is it? His name surely never used to end in a glottal stop.

Grrr!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The generalised glottal stop has become an affectation of the upper middle classes. The rest of us try to sound posh.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

I think I'm right in saying that the Irish pronunciation puts the emphasis on the second syllable, which I find rather attractive

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

One of my Aunts was a professional pianist, [even, though she made her living playing in a cinema for a time]
        she studied with a well known pianist of the early 20th century and drove me mad by pronouncing the name Mozaar as she was taught. Could it ever have been correct?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          One of my Aunts was a professional pianist, [even, though she made her living playing in a cinema for a time]
          she studied with a well known pianist of the early 20th century and drove me mad by pronouncing the name Mozaar as she was taught. Could it ever have been correct?
          One of my great-aunts always called him "Mo's art". So perhaps there's only one 't' sound, and just a slight disagreement about which one has to go?
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

One of my Aunts ... drove me mad by pronouncing the name Mozaar as she was taught. Could it ever have been correct?
            In France?

Someone I knew drove me up the wall by pronouncing "Beethoven" with the "th" as in "thin". When she realized how annoyed it made me, she then started pronouncing it with the first syllable rhyming with "see" AS WELL!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

My piano teacher, a certain Ms Yvonne de Rowen of Hove, no less, bought for me a book of Mozart sonatas. "I just LOVE this MUZZART", she insisted, "and thought you really cannot do without MUZZART". She can't have been your aunt, I don't think, saly!

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                My piano teacher, a certain Ms Yvonne de Rowen of Hove, no less, bought for me a book of Mozart sonatas. "I just LOVE this MUZZART", she insisted, "and thought you really cannot do without MUZZART". She can't have been your aunt, I don't think, saly!
                S-A err no, It was as stated and she didn't teach. I was a bit snooty about the cinema but was told by two professional musicians [ex borders] that one has to be pretty good to accompany a film, and Muir Matheson
                used to give very entertaining illustrated talks about film music. 'To the battle', 'From the battle.' Second piece reverse of the first, etc.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  The generalised glottal stop has become an affectation of the upper middle classes...
                  "has become"? - I don't think this is recent: I think it has been so going back some while. I seem to recall my grander relations back in the 1950s referring to Moat-zar' '
                  Last edited by vinteuil; 14-01-12, 17:37.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    In France?

Someone I knew drove me up the wall by pronouncing "Beethoven" with the "th" as in "thin". When she realized how annoyed it made me, she then started pronouncing it with the first syllable rhyming with "see" AS WELL!
                    Watching extracts from the Elgar film on the BBC2 documentary about Ken Russell, I was reminded that Huw Wheldon pronounced Elgar in a very clipped way (as he did everything else), making it sound more like Elga than ElgAR. Was that typical of that generation and class? I don't recall hearing it elsewhere.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                      Watching extracts from the Elgar film on the BBC2 documentary about Ken Russell, I was reminded that Huw Wheldon pronounced Elgar in a very clipped way (as he did everything else), making it sound more like Elga than ElgAR. Was that typical of that generation and class? I don't recall hearing it elsewhere.
                      This is a really interesting point, and it shows how pronunciation changes over time without anyone noticing, or even realising it might ever have been different. Elgar's Anglo-Saxon name was pronounced El-gə, with the emphasis clearly on the first syllable and the second a schwa (the most common English vowel sound - the sound of the middle two syllables of 'alternative' for instance). Several people who knew Elgar have attested to this - Boult for one. We still pronounce the almost identical 'Edgar' and 'Algar' this way. That's what Huw Wheldon was doing.

Elgar suffers doubly because we now pronounce 'Edward' rather differently than in his day. It was pronounced more like the German Eduard - with the two syllables having almost equal stress, and the second rhyming with 'guard'. That's how Edward VII and the Edwardian age were known.

So we now say Ed-wəd Elg-ar, instead of Ed-ward El-gə.
                      Last edited by Pabmusic; 15-01-12, 03:53.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Is that "muzz" similar to "buzz" as in "buzzing bees"?
                        I thought that the final 't' in Mozart should be pronounced (lightly), and that the 'z' should be pronounced as roughly English 'tss'. The vowels are slightly different from English too I think, but heck, don't we try to do our best?

Recently Sarah Walker was discussing Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande. She pronounced the 's' in Mélisande as English "ss". Is this correct? I always thought it should be more like English 'z'.
                        Last edited by Dave2002; 15-01-12, 12:45. Reason: accented 'e's - more than one!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

When I say Mozart in my best German accent (I don't do Austrian), it's sort of like Maw-tsatt, but only if you pronounce it like I do, otherwise it just sounds silly (the tt at the end is to indicate a shorter 'a' in that syllable, not Moh-tsaht***. Yes, Mélisande has correctly the English 'z' sound.

*** But I say Moh-tsaht when I'm speaking English
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Just remembered said aunt pronounced Schubert as Shoe-bear so perhaps her teacher was French, although I think he had an English sounding name, [which I can't remember, but she was proud to be his pupil]

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              *** But I say Moh-tsaht when I'm speaking English
                              Yes, I think I would too - when the word is at the end of a phrase.

But I am sure I am not alone in dropping the final T in rapid continuous speech - perhaps particularly before plosives - "IthinkthatMozar'believedindivineprovidence", "Bu'surelyMozar'preferredtheclarinettotheflute ". Insisting on a final T in that context makes one sound like a governess...

Comment

Working...
                              X