X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Blindingly obvious is another clue... And Ms S is also the redemptress in question.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Samson? but that isn't a girls name.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        This is so terribly wrong, but, I am going to post it anyway!

First Continental Congress opened with a motion to pray and Samuel Adams arose

Jazz Singer Samuel Warner

I know my Redeemer Lives Samuel Medley
        The fascination of this thread often lies in the 'what ifs' of suggested answers - the maternal side of my family are all named Medley, from the north, and devout Methodists... I'd never heard of Samuel and wonder if he is a long-lost forebear...

As regards a solution, I need redemption. Where's rubbernecker when you need him?!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          The fascination of this thread often lies in the 'what ifs' of suggested answers - the maternal side of my family are all named Medley, from the north, and devout Methodists... I'd never heard of Samuel and wonder if he is a long-lost forebear...

As regards a solution, I need redemption. Where's rubbernecker when you need him?!
          Samuel Medley was born in Cheshunt, Herts, in 1739, son of a schoolteacher. He was strict Baptist. Interesting person, was in the Navy and only saw the light when he was invalided out. Famous hymnwriter (if you are Calvanistic in persuasion) Maybe he was of your family and they moved South? Unusual surname.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Samuel Medley was born in Cheshunt, Herts, in 1739, son of a schoolteacher. He was strict Baptist. Interesting person, was in the Navy and only saw the light when he was invalided out. Famous hymnwriter (if you are Calvanistic in persuasion) Maybe he was of your family and they moved South? Unusual surname.
            Well I see he moved north and ministered in Liverpool... certainly "my" Medleys were Lancashire and Yorkshire based. I wonder... I have an aunt (née Medley) who is into the jolly old genealogy, I will mention Samuel... Thanks, Anna
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

Interesting family history, Caliban.

One more clue: my avatar...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I think I've got it - in fact, I'm certain I've got it - but I would like somebody else to have a chance of setting a question. I've sent Tapiola a PM with my answer - he/she (the avatar is deffo a chap!) can then decide where we go from there (assuming I'm right, of course).
                Last edited by Guest; 02-02-11, 17:34.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                  I think I've got it - in fact, I'm certain I've got it - but I would like somebody else to have a chance of setting a question. I've sent Tapiola a PM with my answer - he/she (the avatar is deffo a chap!) can then decide where we go from there (assuming I'm right, of course).
                  Well, I haven't got it, I don't even know who Tapiola's avatar's is. Apologies for going off topic with Caliban and Samuel Medley, but, hey! Now people who have never heard of Mr. Medley now have. That is a Good Thing, probably?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

...and I haven't got it either!

Comment

• Tapiola
                      • Jan 2011

Anna,

No need for apologies. I think this is half the beauty of the game - all the tangents.

I have replied to OFCACHAP's PM in the negative, unfortunately, but I would like to hear his reasoning for the answer he gave.

One more clue, referring to the continental first, is contained in OFCACHAP's message 1165.

Another: everything comes to (s)he that WAITS.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        ...and I haven't got it either!
                        Well, I hope actually I don't get it as I am not nearly clever enough to set a new question!

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

Let's review some evidence:

OFCACHAP's message 1165 - continental reference therein. A first for that continent.

A woman who waits, blindingly.

A character in a famous play with even more famous music; she even has her own song!

You all know it really.

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

...winter and spring will pass... but I know that at last you will return to me...

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

I might add:

DNFTT

Comment

• Panjandrum

Given your avatar it sounds like Solveig's Song - Peer Gynt?

Comment

Working...
                                X