Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    Hans, by any chance?
    Details?

Comment

• Don Petter

Well I like to think a bit before google or wiki-ing, though that can sometiomes embarrass.

I thought of Hans Keller for the critic, and assumed Hans Christian Anderson's work(s) might have been used as a libretto somewhere (with or without his involvement).

I suppose Hans Sachs didn't cobble up the odd carpet when the shoe trade was slow?

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

Well I like to think a bit before google or wiki-ing, though that can sometiomes embarrass.

I thought of Hans Keller for the critic, and assumed Hans Christian Anderson's work(s) might have been used as a libretto somewhere (with or without his involvement).

I suppose Hans Sachs didn't cobble up the odd carpet when the shoe trade was slow?
        for the first two. Hans Keller was the critic I had in mind. Hans Christian Andersen wrote librettos for several operas. The third Hans was a member of a well-known family.

Comment

• Don Petter

Oh! Dear! Who can the matter be?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Me too...You've done a proper job with this H!

I find the 'thought' phase is often fruitless

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Oh! Dear! Who can the matter be?
              Oh Dear. I think I'd best delete that silly suggestion. Which I have done and now look even more of an eejit! Sorry Don!
              Last edited by Guest; 28-12-11, 16:40. Reason: Idiocy

Comment

• subcontrabass
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna
                Wasn't JS Bach's great-grandpa Hans a carpet maker?
                Hans Bach was a carpet maker and probably the first professional musician in the family (certainly the first known to be a professional musician). His precise relationship to J S Bach is not clear, although J S thought that this Hans was his great-grandfather.

I think we now await an I from Don.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

oh well done Anna

I was about to offer "Holbein" carpets

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Oh Dear. I think I'd best delete that silly suggestion. Which I have done and now look even more of an eejit! Sorry Don!
                    Anna! heartface! Don't do yourself down! Brilliant knowledge.... I had no idea that JSB was descended from carpet-makers!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

I can't remember anything wrong with your post, Anna? My gentle pun was not intended as criticism!

Aye, aye folks. I'll try to come up with an I shortly ...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Anna! heartface! Don't do yourself down! Brilliant knowledge.... I had no idea that JSB was descended from carpet-makers!
                        I thought I'd stepped on Don's toes as he was steaming ahead like a locomotive! A positive Mallard! Anyway, you know me, Queen of the Pub Trivia Quiz, head full of useless facts! Only a few of them useful.

Edit: While we wait for Don. Great Expectations last night. Wot they done with Biddy? And where was the Larks?
                        Last edited by Guest; 28-12-11, 17:14.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Wot larks, eh?
                          I don't think the opening sequence was as scary as in the 1946 David Lean version with Finlay Currie and Anthony Wager.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            Wot larks, eh?
                            I don't think the opening sequence was as scary as in the 1946 David Lean version with Finlay Currie and Anthony Wager.
                            No, Norfy, but an adaptation is not necessarily true to the original, and nothing can improve on the David Lean film at the beginning, so it was right to have Magwitch a bit Robert de Niro like and rising from the swamp. And, Estella is too plain and Herbert Pocket is not a Posh Lout. And Pip is too gay male modelly pouty. But, we shall see, we shall see Wot Larks may come about. And, it seems they've changed the ending. I look forward to Wemmick's Aged Parent and the raising of the drawbridge. I love that Aged Parent seque don't you? Trouble is, I've just recently read the book, so where is Biddy, I ask?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I can't help feeling that the 1946 opening sequence was all about Dickens, whereas yesterday's was mainly about the camerawork and Ray Winstone....

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia
                                Miss Havisham looks too young to me, not that I've read the book .
                                Oh, mercia, mercia. Wot are we going to do with you? There is surely a gap in your education that needs to be filled, forthwith! Oh off with you, you young scamp, to Amazon to purchase a secondhand copy!

Comment

Working...
                                X