This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

fhg and scb have got most of my answers (by which I mean that there are valid alternatives to some):
    Britten and Sting: Children's Crusade
    Debussy: Children's Corner
    Harty: The Children of Lyr(Llyr)
    Quilter: Children's Overture
    As a 'tie-breaker': can either of you name the work by Gian-Carlo Menotti which I had in mind, and in which the Children's Crusade plays an important part, even though it does not form part of the title?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

The Death of the Bishop Brindisi?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Norfolk Born

That's the one. 'Children' being the link, albeit an indirect one in the case of Menotti. (The Bishop reflects on his actions during the the CC). I'm not sure who gets to set the next question - perhaps fhg and scb might like to enter into meaningful negotiations and emerge with an agreed communiqué.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I have a D if nobody objects?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I have a D if nobody objects?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Which D connects

Karl Goldmark
              Thea Musgrave
              Paul Johnson

?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Can I report on The Black Farmers Sausages recommended by Norfy? Well, my test of a good banger (and I have not had one of late) means no exuding of fat.

These sausages passed the test 10/10, narely a morsel was dripped. They were porky, juicy but somehow lacking in, perhaps rosemary, parsley, thyme. possibly nutmeg or mace. I served them with colcannon and sexed them up with Colmans. I could only get premium pork ones, I would like to try Wilfred's pork, leek and chives. I will buy them again, having had a nibble on a cold one, which was rather nice.
                Anna - I need to know (given the scrupulousness of your banger test) - are you of the school which -

a) pricks the sausages with a fork while cooking

b) does not prick the sausages

'Cos this, I think, will make all the difference as to whether I explore your Black Farmer...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Anna - I need to know (given the scrupulousness of your banger test) - are you of the school which -

a) pricks the sausages with a fork while cooking
                  b) does not prick the sausages
                  'Cos this, I think, will make all the difference as to whether I explore your Black Farmer...
                  I expect someone will roll out that Ainsley Harriott packaging .........
                  No, I don't prick sausages, neither do I fry or grill them. I cook them in the oven, turning once or twice to get them evenly browned and slightly crisped. In fact the only things I fry are eggs. Perhaps we should ask Norfy how he handles his Black Farmer bangers? And why does pricking or non-pricking matter to you?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

No, I don't prick sausages, neither do I fry or grill them. I cook them in the oven, turning once or twice to get them evenly browned and slightly crisped. In fact the only things I fry are eggs. Perhaps we should ask Norfy how he handles his Black Farmer bangers? And why does pricking or non-pricking matter to you?
                    i

Anna - thanks - that's useful. Like you, I do my shoshidges in the oven, 30 minutes at regulo 5, turning over once half way through ( and usually put some shallotts in as an accompaniment... ). but I have heretofore tended to prick the sausages half way through - (was this how I was taught my my late lamented mater? - or by some pervy scoutmaster? - dunno... ) - and (of course) - if you prick yr shoshidges then there will be a leakage if not a gushing of fatty stuffs...

As it happens I have a clutch of 97% meat sainsbury's best sausages which I shall be having on Sunday - so this time I shall not prick - and we shall see what we shall see!

Thanks for your help on these matters...

Comment

• subcontrabass
                      • Nov 2010

Which D connects

Karl Goldmark
                      Thea Musgrave
                      Paul Johnson

?
                      What the dickens is going on? This is almost as obscure as some of my questions.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        i
                        As it happens I have a clutch of 97% meat sainsbury's best sausages which I shall be having on Sunday - so this time I shall not prick - and we shall see what we shall see!
                        There is no Sainsbury near here, the Black Farmer is 90% pork, so I wonder if your sausages are more of the Toulouse variety? I find even with 'Premium' bangers, (without pricking), there is far too much fat in the oven dish when cooked. Generally I buy from my butcher who makes his own. I like his Italian recipe ones which have fennel, juniper and rose veal with the pork and his Piri-Piri ones are good as well if you like them a bit spicy.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          What the dickens is going on? This is almost as obscure as some of my questions.
                          Devilish, isn't it!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                            • Nov 2010

Devilish, isn't it!
                            Since no one else seems to want to play:

All composed works based on stories by Charles Dickens:

Karl Goldmark: Das Heimchen am Herd (The Cricket on the Hearth)

Thea Musgrave: A Christmas Carol

Paul Johnson: The Chimes

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Since no one else seems to want to play:
                              No; perhaps I should've included a sausage association?

... I rather wish I hadn't said that!

All composed works based on stories by Charles Dickens:

Karl Goldmark: Das Heimchen am Herd (The Cricket on the Hearth)

Thea Musgrave: A Christmas Carol

Paul Johnson: The Chimes
                              Quite so, sir: and Christmas stories to boot! So much for attempts to be Festive!

Your turn for an E, if anyone else is interested ... ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I've had a word with the OC (Sausages) who advises me that, having pricked them, she grills them, turning them as required until the degree of browning meets with her approval.

Comment

Working...
                                X