• Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

A stab in the dark:

Oran

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      Oran
      Son of Goran? Sorry, we're in tennis land here.

No, try again.

Nice to see you back, Tapiola

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I suspect that once a particular thread drops off the list of latest posts it attracts fewer and fewer visits. The number of contributors to this one seems to be decreasing as steadily as the periods of time between postings increase. Sadly, I have no idea as to the answer to the current question, or how to approach it. Time to prepare the last rites?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
          I suspect that once a particular thread drops off the list of latest posts it attracts fewer and fewer visits. The number of contributors to this one seems to be decreasing as steadily as the periods of time between posts
          I enjoy looking at this thread, I think the only one I got right was the miners' friend, which was Davy. So, in replying to this, I am bumping the thread up!!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I enjoy looking at this thread, I think the only one I got right was the miners' friend, which was Davy. So, in replying to this, I am bumping the thread up!!
            Thanks, Anna

Contributors to this thread often express general frustration when they can't get a hold on a specific question. I certainly have no intention of sounding the death knell on that account. And as far as thread popularity is concerned, that seems to me irrelevant. As far as I see it, people can opt in or out as they wish. If people cease to participate then it will fade away naturally. Which would be a shame...

This is a pretty straightforward O question. However, I'll add another clue: O gets in with the mob. :cool2:

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

We haven't gone away you know. as a certain Mr Adams once said.

Just stumped...

Sorry rubbernecker, your clue has not helped me in the slightest.

Comment

• rubbernecker

We haven't gone away you know. as a certain Mr Adams once said.

Just stumped...

Tapiola, I'm amazed you haven't got this. I really don't know how I can make it any more obvious without actually giving the answer...

The only assistance I can perhaps give is to repeat your recent advice when you set letter J, namely think of this stage by stage

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Same here. Is it anything to do with Calamity Jane/the Deadwood Stage?
                  What about that Tracy Barlow eh?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                    Same here. Is it anything to do with Calamity Jane/the Deadwood Stage?
                    Extraordinary... but wrong.

I'll give it to you: For the first you're looking for a stageplay, for the second an... er, orchestra, and the third a large number of operas by various composers, one of the more familiar of which has a link to the mob and Tapiola's J question from this round.

I hope someone gets this before I need to go out on my cycle ride...

Comment

• Don Petter

Perhaps you have blown it now!

Tennessee Williams wrote 'Orpheus Descending' - Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Is that a start?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        Perhaps you have blown it now!

Tennessee Williams wrote 'Orpheus Descending' - Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Is that a start?
                        Indeed, although I'm staggered you haven't finished it off!

Comment

• Don Petter

Hang on - I've got to go back miles to find the rest of the words in the question!

Comment

• Don Petter

Hmm. Orpheus operas by Joe, Jack and Louis? Jack should be Offenbach, but who are the other two?

Joe Green didn't cover the subject, as far as I remember. Gluck, Monteverdi, Telemann, Birtwistle and Glass are out (though the mob presumably makes one a modern work).

Ah! Joe Haydn did one, I find. I give up for the moment with Louis and the mob.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              Hmm. Orpheus operas by Joe, Jack and Louis? Jack should be Offenbach, but who are the other two?

Joe Green didn't cover the subject, as far as I remember. Gluck, Monteverdi, Telemann, Birtwistle and Glass are out (though the mob presumably makes one a modern work).

Ah! Joe Haydn did one, I find. I give up for the moment with Louis and the mob.
                              I wasn't looking for specific references to all the operas, although Louis refers to Louis Lully, son of Jean-Baptiste. I thought you might have at least got Orpheus in the Underworld... Never mind. It's nice to have you back, Don.

Over to you for P.

Comment

• Tapiola
                                • Jan 2011

Ahh, Orpheus!

Here was me stuck in a jazz-related rut.

Now, Louis... Louis F Gottschalk composed "The Orpheus Road Show".

The mob reference continues to escape me though.

Comment

Working...
                                X