This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

I'm starting to get really worried about young Hope - are we in for another Wetherfield funeral?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Glad to see you're giving this one your full attention, ofca. I thought you might have been inspired by Andy Murray's performance earlier on...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I just thought you'd like to know that there are still people out here, despite the lack of replies to your teaser. I did indeed watch the tennis while stuffing envelopes with brochures detailing the schedule of local concerts this Spring and Summer. I have already reserved my seat for Sunday morning's encounter. And remember - he's British if he wins, Scottish if he doesn't.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Martinu? He wrote a piece called La Revue de Cuisine, and there was a Martinu fighter aircraft. Can't help with the dabbling, though. I've just discovered that he also wrote something called Half-Time.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
            Martinu? He wrote a piece called La Revue de Cuisine, and there was a Martinu fighter aircraft. Can't help with the dabbling, though. I've just discovered that he also wrote something called Half-Time.
            Ofca, you will never cease to surprise me. Martinu...... ..... ...... is the CORRECT answer!

You didn't quite unravel all the intricacies of the clue, though. The fighter aircraft which so struck the composer was (appropriately) the P47 Thunderbolt, in honour of which he composed a Scherzo for orchestra. The Revue de Cuisine saw him dabbling in Jazz, and his Half-Time was inspired by American Football. All three pieces therefore had a US connection.

Very well done and (a long overdue) "over to you" for an N. (Just remember we've had Nielsen. Twice )

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Which 'N' links (a) the son of an organist/choirmaster; (b) the son of a naval officer; and (c) the son of a jazz dancer whose wife died of cirrhosis?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I'm starting to get really worried about young Hope - are we in for another Wetherfield funeral?

Am toying with your 'N', ofca, honest... but at the moment am going through the mill with Eileen on the Corrie Omni, dealing with the nutjob Owen following her moment of kleptomania
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Which 'N' links (a) the son of an organist/choirmaster; (b) the son of a naval officer; and (c) the son of a jazz dancer whose wife died of cirrhosis?
                  By the way, was it the jazz dancer's wife or his son's wife who died of cirrhosis?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

A clarification, and a clue: It was the jazz dancer's wife who drank too much. And you're looking for a word that features in, or forms part of the name of, compositions by these three sons.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Am toying with your 'N', ofca, honest... but at the moment am going through the mill with Eileen on the Corrie Omni, dealing with the nutjob Owen following her moment of kleptomania
                      Eileen and her sister are the latest in a long line of classic Corrie comic double acts; Steve and Lloyd are another 'right pair'.
                      As you will see, I've offered a little help with 'N', which is an all-music question with no soapy connotations!

Comment

• rubbernecker

A clarification, and a clue: It was the jazz dancer's wife who drank too much. And you're looking for a word that features in, or forms part of the name of, compositions by these three sons.
                        The answer is Neptune.

Neptune features in 'The Planets', an orchestral composition by Gustav Holst, whose father, famously, was a choirmaster and an organist.

'The Triumphs of Neptune' is a ballet by the slightly bonkers Lord Berners, whose father was a notable naval officer.

'The Valleys of Neptune' is a work featuring electronic instruments by one Jimi Hendrix whose father also served in the forces, but appears to have been a landscape gardener and a jazz dancer as well. His wife was renowned for having drunk herself to death.

Good clues, ofca

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Spot on - on to 'O', please!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            The answer is Neptune.

Neptune features in 'The Planets', an orchestral composition by Gustav Holst, whose father, famously, was a choirmaster and an organist.

'The Triumphs of Neptune' is a ballet by the slightly bonkers Lord Berners, whose father was a notable naval officer.

'The Valleys of Neptune' is a work featuring electronic instruments by one Jimi Hendrix whose father also served in the forces, but appears to have been a landscape gardener and a jazz dancer as well. His wife was renowned for having drunk herself to death.

Good clues, ofca

"notable" ... "renowned" ... the the adept Googler maybe.. Did you know that stuff without recourse to the notable and renowned search engine??

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

"notable" ... "renowned" ... the the adept Googler maybe.. Did you know that stuff without recourse to the notable and renowned search engine??
                              What do you think? Ergo the irony-loaded adjectives...

I'm struggling to come up with an O, though...

Comment

• rubbernecker

Which O went down to Tennessee along with an orchestra, Joe, Jack, Louis, and a whole load of others?

Comment

Working...
                                X