• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angle
    • Dec 2010

B=Benjamin (Ofca)
    first lady = Prima Donna (Ofca)
    bits and pieces = Odds and Ends (mercia)
    petticoat =

Well done so far.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Petticoat rebellion > Jamaica > Jamaican Rumba?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I have to log off for about an hour and a half. Should it be required, I have a 'C' ready.

Comment

• Angle
          • Dec 2010

Sorry, not Jamaican Rumba

Comment

• Anna

I think the petticoat is Cotillion? So, well done to Ofca and we wait to see his C

Comment

• Angle
              • Dec 2010

B=Benjamin (Ofca)
              first lady = Prima Donna (Ofca)
              bits and pieces = Odds and Ends (mercia)
              petticoat = Cotillon, (1938), a Suite of 9 English Dance Tunes from Dancing Master (Anna)

Excellent, Anna but in this instance the 'i' is omitted for reasons not known to me.

I think that Ofca has earned the right to set us a C but he's just gone out so we can all relax for a while until he returns.

PS, I was beginning to think it might go on all day again - heaven forfend!

Comment

• Anna

That was a nicely worded puzzle Angle. I've never knowingly heard anything by Benjamin, do you know his work? Time for a coffee break now.

Comment

• Anna

Thanks for the link mercia - yes of course I know that piece but never who composed it! You do learn something new everyday don't you? This quiz is most educational.

Comment

• Angle
                    • Dec 2010

The only work I know is Jamaican Rumba, I think. I must have heard others but have forgotten them,

Earlier on, Am51 mentioned Malcolm Williamson and that has reminded me that the 1977 Hope Street Festival which was centred on the celebration of the visit to Liverpool of the Queen, during her Silver Jubilee tour of the United Kingdom. Malcolm Williamson, Master of the Queen’s Music, wrote a pageant, The Valley and the Hill, to be performed on 21st June by several choirs and tableaux of local school children located at different points en route between the Metropolitan Cathedral at one end of Hope Street and the Anglican, some 2,000 school children in all - and all amplified.

The Queen travelled in an open carriage with Prince Phillip and the Lord Mayor and the Lady Mayoress. Their departure from the Metro cathedral was hailed by the first of the choirs. The next two stops were at the Everyman Theatre and the Philharmonic Hall where the Royal carriage rested a few minutes to watch and listen to the amplified children before moving on to a point where the street widens at the College of Art. The carriage halted and all went well until the amplifying system stopped working about four bars into the song. About 150 children and their music teacher, a deputy head, sang valiantly on though it was clear that HM was having difficulty hearing any music over the cheers of the crowd. The choir faltered and eventually, fascinated that they should see the Queen, failed to sing at all and only the teacher, in a full fine voice soaring over all the noise, continued.

It was a very hot and sunny day, the Royal party looked marooned and the Lord Mayor looked extremely embarrassed, slumped in a corner of the carriage. Prince Philip was not seen to utter anything but was clearly bewildered.

The sense of relief when the royals moved on to the next halt, was palpable.

The hero of the Queen’s visit, filmed in full by Granada Television was, of course, the lone singer. Aired several times over succeeding years, it was favourite viewing here but seems now to have been forgotten; sadly.

I wonder if HM remembers.

Comment

• amateur51

Great memories, Angle

Comment

• Norfolk Born

What C links: (a) one of two equally famous American bandleaders; (b) a 1967 American film; and (c) the opening number in Act 2 of an American musical? The linking word, which occurs in all three elements, is not itself musical.

Comment

• Angle
                          • Dec 2010

Ofca, does each element begin with C also?

Comment

• Angle
                            • Dec 2010

I think I am at the foot of another gum tree, Ofca, but Charlie? Trouble is, Charlie Bubbles is a British film.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

One of the three elements consists of the linking 'C' on its own, a second of the 'C' followed by one other word. The third contains, but does not begin with, the linking 'C'. One of the three includes a number.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia
                                well, I've found one bandleader called Clyde
                                surprisingly few 'C' words in the titles of 1967 films,
                                o mercia - you are a tease!

Comment

Working...
                                X