• Dec 2010

Just trying to sort things out:

The subject of the puzzle begins with A
    The solution to each element begins with A
    The solution to each element is musical

We are looking for a fair maid, Pasta and a Spanish lady

Anna Bolena was created by Pasta whose second name was Angiola
    And the role has been sung by Anna Netrebko
    Donna Anna (Don Giovanni) has been sung by Victoria de los Angeles (did she, also, sing Anna Bolena?)

If Pasta = the first singer of Anna Bolena and the Spanish lady is de los Angeles, who is the fair maid in the first element? Anna Netrebko?

If the A is Anna, it is the A we had in the last round.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia
      very methodical
      Impeccable workings Angel, can't fault your logic, and a quick google reveals that Victoria de Los Angeles did in fact sing Anna Bolena. But, I assume IGI looked back - or maybe not - and have seen that I set Anna in the last round?

Until he returns we will not be any further forward. Whilst we await, can I suggest that before a new A to Z is commenced that an updated list is posted. If rubbers cannot do it (due to bike riding/superinjunctions/having a generally good time) I don't mind taking on deputy archive duties.

Comment

• Angle
        • Dec 2010

Thanks, Mercia, but where has it got us ? And apart from the Netrebko bit, it is all other people's work. I grew weary of trying to locate messages :

Comment

• Angle
          • Dec 2010

rubbers is nowhere to be seen, Anna. He must be out on his bike.

I couldn't find info on dlA singing Anna Bolena but perhaps that completes the solution.

That is until we find that is something else altogether.

Comment

• Anna

Angle, I just put Victoria de los Angeles & Anna Bolena into google and it came up with her on YouTube. I personally don't think the answer is Anna, it's either a) impossibly simple and we have missed it, or b) impossibly obscure!!

Comment

• Anna

In the absence of rubbers I have got back over the previous round and, hoping I've got it right, here is the updated list of answers

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam, Aaron, Albrecht, Arms, AGM, Albeniz, Armenia, Alphabet, Arthur, Anna(2)
              B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger, Bernstein, Bar, Bert, Bartholemew, Bosanquet, Bluebird, Blow, Barbirolli, Ball(o)
              C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon, Coronation, Clarinet, Cantata, Catherine, Cypress, Cherry, Carissima, Cherkassky, Cantelli
              D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes, Don, Death, Dowland, Diomede, Desafinado, Diamond, Delius, Dmitri, Duparc
              E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, ‘E’, Elgar, Enharmonic, Ennio, Ernest, Echo, Etoiles, Ebony, Eight, Element
              F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Fauré, Frankfurt, Fandango, Five, Fancy, Four, Ferrier, Faust, Fountain, Feldman
              G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, Georg, Gerusalemme, Gaspard, Glass, Goat (Capriccio), Granados, Grofe, Galliard, Garanča, Goldberg
              H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry, Holiday, Howard, Horn, Half, Herring, Hugo, Herbert, Hymn, Halevy
              I Indian, Invicta, Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives, Indes, Irving, Ibert, Innocence, Ippolitov-Ivanov, Istomen, Ice, Introduction, Iris
              J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan, Jupiter, Jeune, Jones/Jonas, Jacquet, Judith, Jenny, Jeux, Järvi, Janissary
              K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King, Korngold, Kinder, Kostelanetz, Kraus, Krieger, Kellogg, Kallinikov, Klangfarbenmelodie, Ketner
              L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne, Lyric, Lorelei, Lamb, Leonora, Low, Largo, Lutoslawski, Litolff, London (Suite)
              M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian, Monothematic, Mandarin, Melodrama, Mountain, Mazeppa, Medtner, Menotti, Mompou, Marion
              N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples, Nocturne, Night, Nash, Nixon, Nelson, Nordheim, Navarra, New, Norwich
              O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson, Offenbach, Ophicleide, Oxford, Ockeghem, O, Oberon, Odour, Oedipus, Otto
              P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose, Pigs, Plantagenet, Peter, Pierre, Palindrome, Piper, Pizzetti, Patience, Penny, Penelope
              Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver, Queen, Quest, Quaker, Quattro, Quartettsatz, Quasi
              R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy, Rhythm, Ricci, River, Rock, Robert, Reich, Rankl, Racine, Rimbaud
              S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott, Silver, Striggio, Susanna, Salomon, Soler, Serenade, Simon, Shostakovitch, Surprise
              T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio, Time/Tempo, Tasso, TV documentaries, Taneyev, Twinkle, Tatiana, Trousers, Turina, Tempest
              U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac, Uptown, Unstern, Ullman, Uber, Uncle, Uchida, Ulster, Unger, Union
              V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity, Viola, Velvet, Voltaire, Village, Vera, Violet, Vinteuil, Villa Lobos, Vision(s)
              W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter (3), Wenlock, Williams, S Wagner, Whale, Witold, Wells, Wolf, Witch
              X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, Xi, Xerxes, Xenakis
              Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young, Yung, Year, Youth, Yes, York
              Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann (2), Zappa, Zamiel, Zero (2), Zoo, Zemlinsky, Zarzuela, Zoroaster, Zoltan
              Last edited by Guest; 31-05-11, 08:41. Reason: typo

Comment

• Angle
                • Dec 2010

She seems to be singing Rossini (Cenerentola: Nacqui all'affanno) I still cannot find her singing Anna Bolena. I think I am losing it. Not surprising, really. "It" and the will to live

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                  She seems to be singing Rossini (Cenerentola: Nacqui all'affanno) I still cannot find her singing Anna Bolena. I think I am losing it. Not surprising, really. "It" and the will to live
                  Oh dear, it just came up on google, I didn't even listen to it!! Sorry. Well, we are well and truly mystified and I, like you, am losing it. It reminds me of that totally bizarre E that Caliban set that took 48 hours to crack! Do you remember that? Go and have a nice glass of something Angle and chill out. That is what I intend doing.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Yes a nice glass of red for me! But to show my almost total ignorance of things operatic I had never heard of Lady Pasta!
                    Last edited by antongould; 30-05-11, 18:44. Reason: Heard not originally seen

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      Yes a nice glass of red for me! But to show my almost total ignorance of things operatic I had never of Lady Pasta!
                      Friend of Lady GaGa I believe! Well, we are all totally at sea so I offer to you, and all boardees, a glass of a soft, fruity, South African, full of ripe berry fruit flavours. Chin Chin!!

Comment

• Anna

from the Co-op?

what's on tonight's menu I wonder?
                        Of course it's from the Co-Op mercia! Look, I got a Divi of £35 from them last week, you see how they value my custom?

Menu tonight, chicken, chorizo, tomato and butterbean casserole, couple of fresh red chillies thrown in plus smoked paprika, served with garlic bread slices. What's cooking Chez Mercia?

Comment

• Anna

nothing really !! not very hungry. I might have a slice of toast before I go to bed
                          Oh, well maybe you had a large lunch? Toast is good though, especially with Marmite. That is my toast of choice. Followed by toast with blackcurrant conserve. Toast soldiers with boiled eggs. Or even, a Welsh Rarebit!! Now, that is good. You know, you can do an awful lot with toast!! It's almost a British National Institution. Now, I am probably off for a few hours and, hopefully, there may be a breakthrough in this perplexing puzzle! Maybe ..... however sets the next T could do Toast?

I'm offline for two or three hours
                          Last edited by Guest; 30-05-11, 19:27. Reason: add info

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            well - wiki tells us she created Donizetti's Anna Bolena in Milan [Teatro Carcano] in 1830...
                            Just trying to sort things out:
                            Anna Bolena was created by Pasta whose second name was Angiola
                            And the role has been sung by Anna Netrebko
                            Donna Anna (Don Giovanni) has been sung by Victoria de los Angeles (did she, also, sing Anna Bolena?)

If Pasta = the first singer of Anna Bolena and the Spanish lady is de los Angeles, who is the fair maid in the first element? Anna Netrebko?
                            Between Vinteuil and Angle, you're just about there!

The Pasta was indeed Giuditta Pasta, who created the role of Anna Bolena.
                            Our Spanish Lady is Donna Anna from Don Giovanni.
                            Following her recent Vienna debut as Anna Bolena, both roles are now in the repertoire of Anna Netrebko, who is often referred to as 'The Fair Maid of Krasnodar'.

Apologies for resurrecting Anna again... no idea it was used last time. Anna's recent post is most useful.

And thanks for your patience while work intervened...
                            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Angle
                              • Dec 2010

So all that was left was the "nick" of Anna Netrebko

Comment

• rubbernecker

rubbers is nowhere to be seen, Anna. He must be out on his bike.
                                I wish. Too wet today, and the Saturday and Sunday were taken up with attendances at the Hay Festival and cooking/entertaining/looking after guests who similarly wished to broaden their minds.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the AA thread has turned another chapter, that Anna has helpfully updated the list, and that we are enlivened by the august presence of the great Inquisitor himself. The future legacy appears to be assured

Comment

Working...
                                X