X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
    I'm afraid I was busy potting on my gazanias (an activity which is still legal on a Friday in Suffolk )
    NFS (Normal for Suffolk), I'd heard!

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I doubt if he'll feature on the highlights, but it was a very stylish knee length double-breasted.

No-one has mentioned THE DRESS! I thought it was beautiful, timeless, classic. What did you guys think?
      Anna - a good dress - but she was praps not too relaxed abt her train - which cd have been (a) longer or (b) shorter...

I agree with you that the King of Tonga was the coolest dude. Tho' I noticed he was a lot slimmer than when I last met him many years ago....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia
        not as spectacular as Diana's, if you remember that
        I thought Diana's was a bit of a crumpled mess. I was watching it in deepest rural Normandy, I remember, with cousins who are farmers: it was all rather surreal, but they were somewhat scathing I recall, as was I...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

apparently it was a Grace Kelly look - I wouldn't know
          not as spectacular as Diana's, if you remember that
          Having googled Grace K's wedding dress, yes, you could be right mercia, very similar. I do remember Diana's, I thought it was dreadful, like a crumpled meringue, not spectacular. Kate has a wonderful figure and the dress really showed it off.

Anyway, I enjoyed it all (still not sure about the trees in the Abby adding anything to the occasion) even the Rutter! I thought I saw a runaway horse and it seems I'm right, it threw its rider and galloped off back to the Barracks by itself!

Edit, curses, posts above I have not seen including Caliban's and his use of crumpled. Heartface, what with our symmetrical lamps and that we are indeed two trains on parallel tracks!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            I agree with you that the King of Tonga was the coolest dude. Tho' I noticed he was a lot slimmer than when I last met him many years ago....
            Great, that makes three of us in The King of Tonga's Fan Club I bet Caliban is really miffed he missed it. Gosh, I'm still glued to the telly as Huw Edwards tells us their departure will be spectacular!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

he was a lot slimmer than when I last met him many years ago....
              Very neatly slipped in, vints! Were you representing Her Maj?

rubbers will be pleased with our progress with the F question
              you spoke my thought aloud mercia!! Serves him right, shouldn't make it so damn tricky

I thought I saw a runaway horse and it seems I'm right, it threw its rider and galloped off back to the Barracks by itself!

Edit, curses, posts above I have not seen including Caliban's and his use of crumpled. Heartface, what with our symmetrical lamps and that we are indeed two trains on parallel tracks!!
              I missed the horse too!! I stuck the whole morning on record in case I overslept (I went to bed at 4am yesterday, Angle-style) so I shall scour the tapes for slimmed down South Pacific Potentates and runaway nags

We'll need an engine shed made for two at this rate, Anna-kins! Toot toot!!

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Very neatly slipped in, vints! Were you representing Her Maj?[/COLOR]
                well - yes: I was attached to an FCO entity called the British Development Division in the Pacific (BDDP) based in Fiji - which covered lots of places from Vanuatu to Tuvalu - Kiribati -Samoa - Tonga...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

well - yes: I was attached to an FCO entity called the British Development Division in the Pacific (BDDP) based in Fiji - which covered lots of places from Vanuatu to Tuvalu - Kiribati -Samoa - Tonga...
                  All those tropical atolls and all those turquoise lagoons... Sounds absolutely awful!! But someone had to do it!!!

Comment

• Anna

We'll need an engine shed made for two at this rate, Anna-kins! Toot toot!!
                    How many times have i told you never to call me Anna-kins in public my little Chuff-Chuff?

Oh, the going away! Did you see it? Cheesey, Cheesey!! Lovely!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

All those tropical atolls and all those turquoise lagoons... Sounds absolutely awful!! But someone had to do it!!!

... and it was extraordinary how little sympathy I got from my friends back in London when I whinged about the problems of my life out there at that time... altho' - I did have to cope with two coups d' état...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Who could forget Diana's rigg - all leather AND a whip! (You WERE talking about THAT episode of 'The Avengers', I presume).

Comment

• Anna

That's really interesting vinteuil. My family landed up on Fanning Island (Kiribati) What's it like?

Comment

• rubbernecker

rubbers will be pleased with our progress with the F question
                            Yes, you have been busy, haven't you? It's like being a fly on the wall at the hairdressers...

I wasn't expecting much progress on F, but I was, perhaps unrealistically, expecting a little more informed comment on the more cultural aspects of the wedding.

I note Parry featured no less than three times. A Welsh anthem and a couple of Welsh hymns, all good stuff. Love Divine seems to have been transposed down a minor third from A flat to F to make it 'singable' for TV purposes. The Rutter was crap and reminded me of a pop song - 'The Way we Were' (?) or something similar...

Does anyone want more clues for F, or does anyone give a F...?

Oh, yes, the bride looked gorgeous and I loved her mum's and her sister's outfits!!!

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

A clue or 2 might be good!

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

That's really interesting vinteuil. My family landed up on Fanning Island (Kiribati) What's it like?
                                Anna - sorry - I never got to Fanning (my empire was so ginormous!) - as you're probably aware it's part of the Line Islands, a long way away from the main Kiribati (Gilbert) group - my only involvement was a vague awareness that Fanning was a key relay-station in the cable link between NZ:Australia - Fiji - British Columbia - and that we had people who were concerned with it - but that otherwise it was a pretty isolated atoll...

Were your family involved with the cable network??

Comment

Working...
                                X