X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Incidentally I see the AA thread smashed through the 40,000 views barrier without a murmur...
    Oh, then we win the Popular Vote then? Not surprised with such a talented team on board, there's rubbers, dead fit in his lycra, Ofca being occasionally rather stern, Angle the Vampire of Liverpool (rarely seen in daylight hours), mercia aka hercule the super sleuth, Tapiola the weird jazz singer of Finland, anton with his sexy Geordie accent ......... Now, who have I missed out? Oh yes, that bloke in a pork-pie hat!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Oh, then we win the Popular Vote then? Not surprised with such a talented team on board, there's rubbers, dead fit in his lycra, Ofca being occasionally rather stern, Angle the Vampire of Liverpool (rarely seen in daylight hours), mercia aka hercule the super sleuth, Tapiola the weird jazz singer of Finland, anton with his sexy Geordie accent ......... Now, who have I missed out? Oh yes, that bloke in a pork-pie hat!
      You also missed Vinteuil, scb (sometime of this parish) and, of course, Simon, our esteemed thread starter (who is too modest by half to take any credit...)

You make it sound a bit cliquey, though, rather like a cultural version of the Wacky Races
      I do wish some more messageboarders would join in, even if they don't solve anything! We just like having a laugh

How are we going to celebrate the 50,000?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        You missed Vinteuil, scb (sometime of this parish) and, of course, Simon...
        You make it sound a bit cliquey, rather like a cultural version of the Wacky Races I do wish some more messageboarders would join in, even if they don't solve anything!

How are we going to celebrate the 50,000?
        Oh yes, Vints (who is French and very sophisticated) and scb (who I believe starred in Harry Potter?), very remiss of me and of course Simon started it all. Perhaps I will delete my post? But I cannot as you have now quoted me! Oh, Alas and Alack, I am covered in confusion.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

I shall forthwith return to my primordial sludge, but not before laying this before you:
          What P -
          - describes an astrological curtain raiser;
          - is a supposedly angst-ridden symphony;
          - is shared by both a pop group and their 1975 hit?

Palindrome

Constant Lambert's ballet Horoscope opens with a Palindromic Prelude which can be played in either direction
          ABBA released ABBA in 1975 (I think?)
          Haydn's Symphony 47 in G is known as The Palindrome because the second part of the third movement is the same as the first but in reverse "Menuetto al Reverso". Is this one of the Sturm und Drang?

re: Wacky Races, bags I be Private Meekley

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Oh yes, Vints (who is French... )

not really - more your usual mongrel (predominantly Wiltshire - London - Carmarthen - distantly Ukrainian - remotely Norman ... )

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              Palindrome

Constant Lambert's ballet Horoscope opens with a Palindromic Prelude which can be played in either direction
              ABBA released ABBA in 1975 (I think?)
              Haydn's Symphony 47 in G is known as The Palindrome because the second part of the third movement is the same as the first but in reverse "Menuetto al Reverso". Is this one of the Sturm und Drang?

re: Wacky Races, bags I be Private Meekley
              A dastardly display, Vinteuil. You didn't quite nail the Abba connection, though. Need some Help?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

A dastardly display, Vinteuil. You didn't quite nail the Abba connection, though. Need some Help?
                for "vinteuil" read "mercia"....

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

the Abba connection
                  sorry, perhaps should be S.O.S?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    for "vinteuil" read "mercia"....
                    Sorry!

Comment

• rubbernecker

sorry, perhaps should be S.O.S?

Well done, Mercia and apologies again for attributing your tenacious endeavours to that pesky mongrel

I think under our more relaxed regime we're now allowing you to choose Q or R...

Comment

• rubbernecker

It's from the supposed S & D period

Comment

• Anna

I too, am a palindrome. How spooky is that?

I too, am a mongrel. Even more spooky!

I have not answered one question today. Not spooky at all!

Comment

• rubbernecker

I too, am a palindrome. How spooky is that?
                            You're certainly not backwards in coming forward, Anna, I'll say that for you

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

You're certainly not backwards in coming forward, Anna, I'll say that for you
                              May I chip in and say that the above is one of the most elegant jeux de mots to grace any of the near-5000 posts on this thread I enjoyed it.

Anna - what was the Potter reference re: scb?

I notice amateur51 looking in more often too (we lack a :hurrah: smiley). I wonder which Wacky Races character he would be. His avatar suggests The Ant Hill Mob...
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

[/COLOR="blue"]May I chip in and say that the above is one of the most elegant jeux de mots to grace any of the near-5000 posts on this thread I enjoyed it.
                                Jeux de Mots Gosh, that's elegant.
                                [COLOR="blue"]

Anna - what was the Potter reference re: scb?
                                Oh, he looks like a Wizard out of H. Potter, don't he. Or, in case of the Indian film version 'Harri Potta Wallah'

Completely messed up me quotes, retire in shame. As you were.

Comment

Working...
                                X