• Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    An instrumental guide
    Is this a guide to Schubert's music?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Just catching up with Angle's question, now I can spend a bit more time here

I read through quickly... Where have we got to with the Y (or quasi-Y solution?), I'm a little confused: mercia, you think you have three of the answers but haven't set them out yet? Don't you want to chuck 'em in, check they're right, and then we can have a go at mopping up the remaining ones?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

er, well I think I may have all five now, depending on this instrumental guide. I was hoping Anna was going to put hers forward first.

I have the Jungfrau first climbed in 1911
        Simone Young as the first female Vienna conductor
        Alexander Young debuting at Edinburgh (was it Ariadne auf Naxos conducted by Beecham?)
        Carl Jung pronouncing about Liverpool (that's a weird story)
        and possibly a guide to Schubert's instrumental music by John Bell Young

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          er, well I think I may have all five now, depending on this instrumental guide. I was hoping Anna was going to put hers forward first.

I have the Jungfrau first climbed in 1911
          Simone Young as the first female Vienna conductor
          Alexander Young debuting at Edinburgh (was it Ariadne auf Naxos conducted by Beecham?)
          Carl Jung pronouncing about Liverpool (that's a weird story)
          and possibly a guide to Schubert's instrumental music by John Bell Young
          That sounds to me like a clean sweep!!! Brill !

I'm surprised at myself for not getting Simone Young, I heard her on the Music Matters podcast a few weeks back, she was impressive. (Wasn't she also a judge on that toe-curling TV conducting gameshow?). I was chiselling away at the 'Pool of Life' quote but didn't get anywhere near Jung! Really intrigued about the weird story - want to tell or shall I look it up?

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Jung! Really intrigued about the weird story -
            want to tell or shall I look it up?
            well you may be able to find out more. What I've got is that he never actually visited the city but had a dream about it, woke up and made this statement about Liverpool being the 'pool of life' or some such (bit corny). Anyway on the strength of that the city has erected, then re-erected a statue to him. I was thinking of eating some cheese today to induce a dream about Edinburgh. Then tomorrow I shall say "Edinburgh, home of the burger" and get a statue of myself put up, what do you reckon?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

well you may be able to find out more. What I've got is that he never actually visited the city but had a dream about it, woke up and made this statement about Liverpool being the 'pool of life' or some such (bit corny). Anyway on the strength of that the city has erected, then re-erected a statue to him. I was thinking of eating some cheese today to induce a dream about Edinburgh. Then tomorrow I shall say "Edinburgh, home of the burger" and get a statue of myself put up, what do you reckon?

Take it in stages... Eat the cheese anyway, then see what happens

Mad story. When I looked it up, I thought all that 'pool of life' stuff was pretty mawkish, maybe a Merseyside District Council slogan for their City of Culture year or something... I'm surprised at Jung!!

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

That's a brilliant story about Jung. I must tell it to Mrs T, who used to live in the 'Pool. She loved the place.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

apparently the full quote is

"Liverpool is the pool of life, it makes to live"

I guess there's something in it (the quote, I mean)

well, it was a statue - now just a bust
                  Last edited by mercia; 04-04-11, 11:41. Reason: updated info

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

That quote is quite, quite bizarre. Maybe his dream-persona had been hanging around Lark Lane for too long

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Are you working on a fiendish Z, mercia, or thinking of slipping back to the beginning for A rather broader spectrum of choices??

Comment

• Anna

As I will not be around until some time next week, for those who may be interested, here is the updated list of past puzzles:

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam, Aaron
                        B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger, Bernstein
                        C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon, Coronation
                        D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes, Don
                        E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, E, Elgar
                        F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure, Frankfurt, Fandango
                        G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, George, Gerusalemme
                        H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry, Holiday
                        I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives, Indes
                        J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan, Jupiter
                        K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King, Korngold
                        L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne, Lyric
                        M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian, Monothematic
                        N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples, Nocturne
                        O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson, Offenbach
                        P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose, Pigs, Plantagenet
                        Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver, Queen
                        R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy, Rhythm
                        S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott, Silver
                        T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio, Time/Tempo
                        U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac, Uptown
                        V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity, Viola
                        W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter, Wenlock, Williams
                        X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, X, Xerxes
                        Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young, Young/Jung
                        Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann (2), Zappa, Zamiel, Zero, Zoo
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-04-11, 13:06. Reason: update

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

yes I've got a Z. Was Y satisfactorally dealt with?
                          we seem to have gone from 3 clues to 5 (I'm not complaining) so here are my 5

Z (a variety of spellings but basically the same)

- "There's no business like show business"
                          - "Blowin' in the wind"
                          - had his piano confiscated at JFK because the glue smelled like explosives
                          - taken over by Bechstein
                          - opera 'Die Soldaten'

damn, just seen the list and we've had it before

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

Zimmerman, and variants?

Bernd Alois (Soldaten)
                            Bob Dylan (aka Robert Z) - Blowin' in the wind
                            Bechstein took over Zimmermann in 1992

EDIT

Double damn,

I've just read the end of your last post, Mercia!

EDIT EDIT

I shall continue nonetheless; it beats work.

Krystian Zimerman is the pianist.
                            Ethel Merman starred in No Biz like Show Biz, and her original surname was Zimmermann.
                            Last edited by Tapiola; 04-04-11, 12:56.

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              Zimmerman, and variants?
                              indeed and seeing as we've had this before (stupid me) can you give details of all 5 please?

Comment

• Anna

damn, just seen the list and we've had it before
                                But we agreed duplication didn't matter as long as the clues were sufficiently different from the previous. I think that was the overall feeling anyway, certainly Ofca and vinteuil thought so?

Edit: Apologies to mercia for jumping the gun and spoiling his Z

Edit Edit: It seems we have had 5 occasions of duplication, but when it comes to Z or X there's such a limited number of words/composers/works I don't think duplication can be avoided can it?
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-04-11, 13:11. Reason: apology

Comment

Working...
                                X